First ever reef tank

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! I'm sure others will chime in soon, but if you are building a new house and you know where the tank will be placed then you may want to consider adding a separate electrical circuit for the tank equipment. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! I'm sure others will chime in soon, but if you are building a new house and you know where the tank will be placed then you may want to consider adding a separate electrical circuit for the tank equipment. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Im only quoting cuz I was beat to the punch lol …anyways, a 15 amp circuit is fine so long as the tank is the predominate draw…not so much if shared with space heaters and portable ?Ac’s et…
Edit add: this is my 3rd spec home and if caught early upgrade that box to 20 amp GFCI if possible

OP
OP
mohammed_b

mohammed_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
The tank outlets are going to be on a separate electrical circuit, do I need to provide more than 4 outlets?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! What I would do is try to add up your planned power usage, and install an appropriately dedicated circuit just for the tank. The reason is so you can always add on more tanks, etc. later. I like two outlets if possible per tank, but I have a few tanks just run off of one.
gif_1688674334084.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are times when you don't want to plug everything individually into the wall and instead plug many pieces of equipment into such as the Apex power bar, the Hydros XP8, or the (soon to be released) Hydros Kraken power center which provide smart outlets that tie into your aquarium's automation system.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'll add , a surge protector strip at the very least into gfci protected circuit .

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome welcome to R2R!
That really is such a cool option not many of us get to have.
Great advice already given above.
If it were my choice I'd have at least 4 on one wall behind the tank 2 to 3 feet apart (I can't build even Legos so what do I know about this part) since I always seem to need one where there isn't one!
GFCI on a couple for sure.
I also like 2 per tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back