First fish 25 gallon peninsula

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all so my tank is finally cycled, I’m picking up some zoa frags early next week and was wondering about fish stocking ideas.

most likely going to get clowns as my kids would kill me if I didn’t, but should I get 2 juvi clowns or will 1 be happy enough on its own? My other stocking ideas are a firefish goby and potentially a yellow or green Coral goby, I haven’t thought too far ahead on anything else yet.

Thankyou all in advance!!!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good choices.
should I get 2 juvi clowns or will 1 be happy enough on its own?
1 clown will be fine on its own. If you want a pair, then that's fine too, and you'll probably get more interesting behavior.
firefish goby
Great fish. I would add it first, if you can. And you'll want a lid, as they are infamous jumpers.
yellow or green Coral goby, I haven’t thought too far ahead on anything else yet.
If that the same as a clown goby (I think it is), yes, totally fine.

In 25 gallons, I probably wouldn't go with much more than those three. You could probably fit a small blenny, like a tail spot or bicolor if you want.

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good choices.

1 clown will be fine on its own. If you want a pair, then that's fine too, and you'll probably get more interesting behavior.

Great fish. I would add it first, if you can. And you'll want a lid, as they are infamous jumpers.

If that the same as a clown goby (I think it is), yes, totally fine.

In 25 gallons, I probably wouldn't go with much more than those three. You could probably fit a small blenny, like a tail spot or bicolor if you want.
Yes I love the bi colour!!

min debating weather to go 2 clowns or just one but I think with all these different species I’ll be fine with how interesting the tank is. Don’t want the clowns to take over!

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s what I’ve come up with.

centrepiece fish:- Helfrichi Firefish

rock percher: Yellow or green coral goby

mid level swimmer : occelaris clownfish (open to something different here)

sand dweller: I need a suggestion here, thinking a goby with shrimp pair to turn over the sand as I have a deep bed? Thoughts?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp goby would be a great pair, just keep in mind if you want to have any corals on the sand bed. I also wanted a shrimp goby pair when I started my tank, but I have way too many corals on my sand bed. I just cant deal with turkey basting sand off everyday.

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp goby would be a great pair, just keep in mind if you want to have any corals on the sand bed. I also wanted a shrimp goby pair when I started my tank, but I have way too many corals on my sand bed. I just cant deal with turkey basting sand off everyday.
I don’t want corals on my sandbed per se but I will have a zoa garden on a rock which is low down on sand? Will this matter or do you mean coral literally growing on sand bed?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want corals on my sandbed per se but I will have a zoa garden on a rock which is low down on sand? Will this matter or do you mean coral literally growing on sand bed?
More so for corals actually on the sand bed. Also make sure you secure any frags because your shrimp goby might want to start interior decorating. I only have experience with a diamond goby and my pair kicked up sand quite a bit. You might need to turkey baste your zoas if they are closer to the sand and getting irritated

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing great other than a rouge blenny deciding that my staghorn doesn’t deserve to look nice and have good polyp extention.
I got a new goby if you haven’t seen too. Here’s my tank:
image.jpg

As of today my stock is:
- Griessingeri Goby
- Yasha Goby
- Black Clown Goby
- Hectors Goby
- Linear Blenny
- Pink Streak Wrasse
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
- Naoko Fairy Wrasse

To me your stock is just fine. A clownfish alone shouldn’t be overly territorial so you could definitely get 4 fish total in there. But due to the clownfish being rather large in size I wouldn’t recommend more than that.

Now then onto the choices:

The fire fish is an excellent showpiece (Plus, why have a small tank and not go all out with the fish haha). They’re small, vibrant, personable, and have that unusual body shape that tilefish and dart fish hold.

I personally love my clown goby (Midnight Coral Goby) and I definitely recommend getting some acros, or even smaller SPS to have the best experience and most natural experience with them. Mine has taken a big liking to my Spongoides and Caulastrea.
image.jpg

Mid level swimmers, are you after a goby or something different? A clownfish would be a great option but be weary of aggression (It’s a possibility).

Sand Dweller, now a shrimp/goby pair will only turn over sand around their cave. However, something like a Koumansetta goby will happily sift the whole tank’s sand. Especially if they have a nice amount of algae and micro fauna to feed on. Mine loves it!

My other option if you wanted a smaller goby and want some life on the sand bed then look into Discordipinna (These guys are beautiful however they’re pod eaters - Although they don’t eat as much as a mandarin), Tryssogobius, Eviota, Vanderhostia, Callogobius ect.
My Griessingeri (One of the two discovered Discordipinna species)
4DA84A09-CFA1-4D67-A9B6-606B4D85DD8A.jpeg

Well, I put an older photo expecting mine to be asleep but I must’ve been wrong.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing great other than a rouge blenny deciding that my staghorn doesn’t deserve to look nice and have good polyp extention.
image.jpg

As of today my stock is:
- Griessingeri Goby
- Yasha Goby
- Black Clown Goby
- Hectors Goby
- Linear Blenny
- Pink Streak Wrasse
- Naoko Fairy Wrasse

To me your stock is just fine. A clownfish alone shouldn’t be overly territorial so you could definitely get 4 fish total in there. But due to the clownfish being rather large in size I wouldn’t recommend more than that.

The fire fish is an excellent showpiece (Plus, why have a small tank and not go all out with the fish haha). They’re small, vibrant, personable, and have that unusual body shape that tilefish and dart fish hold.

I personally love my clown goby (Midnight Coral Goby) and I definitely recommend getting some acros, or even smaller SPS to have the best experience and most natural experience with them. Mine has taken a big liking to my Spongoides and Caulastrea.
image.jpg

Mid level swimmers, are you after a goby or something different? A clownfish would be a great option but be weary of aggression (It’s a possibility).

Sand Dweller, now a shrimp/goby pair will only turn over sand around their cave. However, something like a Koumansetta goby will happily sift the whole tank’s sand. Especially if they have a nice amount of algae and micro fauna to feed on. Mine loves it!

My other option if you wanted a smaller goby and want some life on the sand bed then look into Discordipinna (These guys are beautiful however they’re pod eaters - Although they don’t eat as much as a mandarin), Tryssogobius, Eviota, Vanderhostia, Callogobius ect.

Well, I put an older photo expecting mine to be asleep but I must’ve been wrong.
image.jpg
Thanks my man! The kids would love a “nemo” for mid swimmer so I’m at a loss to win that battle there haha. As you can see I’ve gone for an Indo tank myself :)

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

As of today my stock is:
- Griessingeri Goby
- Yasha Goby
- Black Clown Goby
- Hectors Goby
- Linear Blenny
- Pink Streak Wrasse
- Naoko Fairy Wrasse

image.jpg

image.jpg
I’ll have a look at those goby options!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one goby I would die to see in captivity, Discordipinna filamentosa. I only ever see the griessingeri’s but I’d love to hunt down the second species of discordipinna.

Hmm… Now I have kept a goby from each category personally aswell as kept many others in the LFS, I could try do that thread talking through each goby species/genus

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one goby I would die to see in captivity, Discordipinna filamentosa. I only ever see the griessingeri’s but I’d love to hunt down the second species of discordipinna.

Hmm… Now I have kept a goby from each category personally aswell as kept many others in the LFS, I could try do that thread talking through each

Hmm… Now I have kept a goby from each category personally aswell as kept many others in the LFS, I could try do that thread talking through each goby species/genus
Yes pls! Tag me in that thread!

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EEEEPP!!! picking up my Helfrichi Fire Fish at 2pm today!!! $450 AUD..... ouch!!!

First fish to be stocked!!

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s what I’ve come up with.

centrepiece fish:- Helfrichi Firefish

rock percher: Yellow or green coral goby

mid level swimmer : occelaris clownfish (open to something different here)

sand dweller: I need a suggestion here, thinking a goby with shrimp pair to turn over the sand as I have a deep bed? Thoughts?
Ok so now I’m re thinking the clownfish…. I really want to get 2 shrimp in the tank and don’t want the clown trying to get at them. Also my Helfrichi is pretty shy (so far) as well, so I don’t want it hiding 24/7

Is there any fish for my 25 gallon that will constantly be out on show like a clown that won’t eat/bully others? Just looking for some alternatives

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love my clown goby. Super personality and I honestly believe he thinks the entire tank is his.

Attachments

• C8F90138-71CD-4A73-A698-0CE546AED94A.jpeg
    C8F90138-71CD-4A73-A698-0CE546AED94A.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love my clown goby. Super personality and I honestly believe he thinks the entire tank is his.
I do plan on getting a clown goby :) don’t have any coral or anything yet though! Does that matter much yet?

my fish list is as follows

Helfrichi fire fish
Yellow clown goby
Some sort of sand sifting shrimp goby pair

and then one more fish. Just not sure what!!! Haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan on getting a clown goby :) don’t have any coral or anything yet though! Does that matter much yet?

my fish list is as follows

Helfrichi fire fish
Yellow clown goby
Some sort of sand sifting shrimp goby pair

and then one more fish. Just not sure what!!! Haha
My black clown goby didn’t care about not having coral when he went in, now I have a growing reef (partially dying - dumb blenny) and he hides near the rock more but still stays visible. Here he is when he’s asleep, I think he loves montipora so I’ll probably try get some other monti’s.
image.jpg

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I love the bi colour!!

min debating weather to go 2 clowns or just one but I think with all these different species I’ll be fine with how interesting the tank is. Don’t want the clowns to take over!
I have 2 clowns and I find them to be much more interesting then one. They seem to be much more active and they seem to have a lot more personality

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’d be VERY cautious with a bicolour blenny or any blenny from Escenius, my E. lineatus loves to eat the polyps of my Acropora cervicornis (Staghorn Acropora). I think the Staghorn has 3-5 polyps remaining compared to what it originally was. He’s excellent around the monti and most other coral but hates the RD Joker Staghorn.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back