First Fish - Clownfish Fin Rot?

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
So picked up this pair on Saturday. Acclimated and popped them into my 180L tank, where they both hid in the rock work. Noticed this morning that one seems to have rather damaged fins, not sure if fin rot or is just from stress or perhaps bullying at the LFS? Is not eating but then has only been about 48 hours. The other is happily zooming around, eating and has all fins intact. Nitrates and Nitrates are at 0, Ammonia at 0, pH 8.2 and SG 1.25.

DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot rarely just starts up on its own, it is preceded by some sort of fin damage. In this case, I suspect the other clown, since its fins are fine. You may never see overt aggression - while you are watching the fish, they are busy watching you and behaving nicely. One trick is to set your phone to video them, and then leave the room for 30 minutes. You look for ANY chasing of the fish with the good fins to the other - that can be pretty subtle. Remember, an actual bite may only happen a couple of times a day, so is very easy to miss.

Clownfish are often sold in pairs, but they don't always get along, or if they do, there may be some squabbling at first.
Is this one not eating though?
I can also see that it has some odd shape to its nape - like the head is too small for its body. Probably a developmental deformity.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back