OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks.
Let the temperature come up slowly, down is better than up with temp. swings, fingers crossed, a lack of flow will be an issue, aim a powerhead at the surface, get some good aeration going.

Thanks, currently worked up to 70 (from 58), planning a 25L water change, tested and Nitrates and Phosphates and both seem to be 0. They're all sliming at the moment

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, currently worked up to 70 (from 58), planning a 25L water change, tested and Nitrates and Phosphates and both seem to be 0. They're all sliming at the moment

Just read through, nice work.
I would make sure your carbon is fresh as well.

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through, nice work.
I would make sure your carbon is fresh as well.

Thanks, really bummed out with this. Cannot locate my Tailspot Blenny or My Filefish who I usually hand feed, my favourite two fish in the tank.

Floss and Carbon Replaced. Water Changed, nitrates and phosphates have a small measure on both kits. RODI ATO cleaned out and topped up. Powerhead adjusted to give more surface agitation, order placed with dealer for later tonight

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a recommendation for a clean up crew in a wrasse tank? I am losing snails at a rapid rate at the moment and I cant keep up with maintenance myself
What about an urchin and a starfish? I'd avoid snails of any kind of the wrasses are eating them.

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about an urchin and a starfish? I'd avoid snails of any kind of the wrasses are eating them.

Thanks, going to have to leave that for a while now, lol. Tank is currently creeping at 72 so almost there. Power has gone off another 3 times, called the elctricity company and "The power cut affecting your property has been caused by an unexpected problem with the electricity cable that serves your area"

So more works, dont know when and for how long! Cant take anything to LFS as they're having the same issue

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all fish out of the tank on Monday, I called a friend who thankfully has a large enough tank for my fish for short duration (18" Cube) Managed to get the Heater and the Return pump on a UPS in the past couple of days, this will run for about 8 hours before draining the battery so that should do for short duration outages. Recharging the battery takes approx 4-6 hours after a full drain

Had more than a few Snails death's, have removed as much as possible (as well as all the Macro) Tested Water and my Nitrates are at 40ppm, couple of water changes tomorrow should get me to around 5ppm. I want to clean out the rear sections tomorrow as well as clean and re arrange the media rack.

I'm thinking about making this really easy and considering a Clarkii Clownfish and an Anemone, my LFS sells Condy anemone's would these be a good starter nem? Also have BTA's

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to have a look at a couple of BTA's this weekend. Couple of Reefers near me have some that have split in their tanks so should be more hardy. Also been watching this guy for a potential rescue
IMG_20200227_113529_resized_20200227_123410584.jpg

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I should know about getting an older fish? Its bigger obviously (3-3.5")

Has lost the majority of its tail to an impeller but looks clean and no sign of rot, swims well and eats (viciously)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I should know about getting an older fish? Its bigger obviously (3-3.5")

Has lost the majority of its tail to an impeller but looks clean and no sign of rot, swims well and eats (viciously)

Look at your pic, if it is unfriendly we want blood pics of where it has bitten you! ;)

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So numbers for this morning, after basically washing out the tank in the last week with freshly mixed saltwater

A little cooler then I would like but the fluctuations in temperature are acceptable for me -/+ 0.5f so i don't really see a lot of point in stressing trying to increase this.

Temperature 75F/24C
Salinity 1.024
PH 7.8
Alk 8 DKH
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 1
PO4 0.2
Calcium 420
Mag 1300

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So struggling with algae at the moment, I have been manually removing but need some wrasse safe help.
IMG_20200303_131152.jpg
IMG_20200303_130150.jpg
IMG_20200303_130143.jpg

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates have risen slightly to 2ppm, Phosphates are around 0.25 (first discernible reading on chart) looking at picking up a Hanna reader at some point

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would but would outgrow the tank in about a year and are hard to re home.

Have been placed on back order for the Urchins and the Conch, so a couple more weeks of manual cleaning before i get some assistance.

Been thinking about adding a T5 fixture over this tank to remove the showing from the Kessil, still a way off before i do anything like that

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a nice welcome to the office, always remember to put the lid back on
IMG_20200310_090323_resized_20200310_090513137.jpg

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh. Have moved my Leopard Wrasse to QT as well now, she's wasn't swimming much yesterday, she does eat. Not seen her since I added her yesterday which I am hoping is a good sign

leporad_wrasse.jpg

She just spent so much time resting on the sand (not on her side, more like a Perch on the sand rather than the Wrasse side lay)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh. Have moved my Leopard Wrasse to QT as well now, she's wasn't swimming much yesterday, she does eat. Not seen her since I added her yesterday which I am hoping is a good sign

leporad_wrasse.jpg

She just spent so much time resting on the sand (not on her side, more like a Perch on the sand rather than the Wrasse side lay)

How deep is the sand, can she bury herself?

OP
OP
Ratvan

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the sand, can she bury herself?

Yeah she can bury herself. The sandbed is sloped so I can more easily see the whole tank. ranges from 0" (as you can see) to about 4" at the back of the tank.

She left the sandbed briefly at 3pm, ate some mysis from pipette, rested on the sandbed for 30-45 seconds and buried herself again. I find this strange as she was the most active fish in the display

Her colours are the best I have ever seen on her, she just seems more and more lethargic. Am fairly certain it isn't Velvet, Ich, Flukes or Internal Parasites. I cant spot a wound on her, gills look normal (no swelling or redness), and she doesn't lay on her side?

Had this one since October so not a new addition

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back