First quarantine- am I ready?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by ZipAdeeZoa, May 9, 2019.

1. ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa Active Member

Thanks for the quick response! would you recommend spraying everything (I keep it in s spray bottle to clean my other animals cages) or soaking everything for a while? Also does anyone know if vinegar would mess up the hannah salinity tester?
    SHHHHH! Don't give them any ideas:confused:

Mjrenz likes this.

2. Mjrenz

Mjrenz Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'm really not sure about the salinity tester, I'd proceed with caution because I don't want to be responsible for any damage. Spraying the rest of the stuff down with undiluted vinegar is the path I'd choose

ZipAdeeZoa likes this.
  3. ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa Active Member

If it didn't go well I wouldn't hold it against you, the only person responsible for the result of advice from the internet is the one who takes it;Hilarious

Mjrenz likes this.
  4. Mjrenz

Mjrenz Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'd feel so bad I'd have to apologize ;Shamefullyembarrased

ZipAdeeZoa likes this.
  5. ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa Active Member

LpuT.gif

Mjrenz likes this.
  6. Lasse

Lasse Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Please forgive a youngster (a swedish expression when you are confused :)) - did you not say that your DT was empty from fish? What in the heck could you have contaminate with in that case?

Sincerely Lasse

ZipAdeeZoa and Mjrenz like this.
  7. ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa Active Member

My DT is fishless and is only occupied by two hermit crabs. Although I have not observed any I believe Uronema can survive without a host so if I where to introduce that no fallow period could be employed.

I did not contaminate the DT, I exposed the salinity tester to the qt water and then used it to measure the water in the bucket which means I’ve contaminated the 5 gallon bucket, two powerheads, heater, salt scoop and my salt although I don’t think any diseases can survive in dry salt mix... right?:confused:

8. ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa Active Member

Hello Everyone!

Unfortunately I've noticed some worrying signs with my Plectranthias. His colour is still bright and well defined and his stomach has definitely started to fill out a little (rotating omega brine, spirulina brine and mysis every other day-eating like a champ) but yesterday I noticed a small black mark at the base of his dorsal fin and also noted that it was only on one side. I rechecked all the images of the species on google and wasn't able to find a photo of any that had such a mark there. When I got home tonight I noticed that it appeared to have become slightly larger and the fish was in a good position so I grabbed some pics with my phone. I'm a little worried this may be black ich because when I did the freshwater dip I noticed some small black specs in the bottom of the container but figured they were from the piece of black stone I used to weigh down the air diffuser and didn't think much of it.

Also since last observing him I noticed a single white spot on his tail and possibly one on his dorsal fin (you can only see the spot on the tail in the photos). I'm unsure if it was just the way he was moving his tail but the spot appeared to be moving around a little. I plan on checking on him before I go to work tomorrow to see if the white dot is still there or if it was possibly just some debris of some sort. both the black spot and white spot appear to be slightly raised (the former slightly more than the latter). I've attached a photo and circled the spots with blue, upon looking at the photo its possible the white spot may just be dust on the tank glass since there is an almost identical spot right beside the white one that isn't on the fish, this could also explain how the spot appeared to be moving). I'll clean the glass tomorrow and probably (assuming the fish cooperates) get my macro lens and try to get some actual photos once I get back from work.

Do you guys think I should do another 5 minute fresh water dip (with a different coloured stone)?

Thanks in Advance! 42E1309A-F91F-4EBA-AEDB-B6001AF5BB80.jpeg

9. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

It’s difficult to tell from the photo, it doesn’t quite look like black ich but I could be wrong. I would try to watch to see if it remains in the exact same spot, or moves/reappears in another location.

Is the freshwater dip the only treatment administered so far?

10. ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa Active Member

Yeah sorry about the photo, I haven’t broke my Iphone in a while (only time I upgrade) so the camera is pretty rough, I’ll get my actual camera, macro and a tripod after work and see if I can’t get some better photos.

And yes the only action I’ve taken was the initial FW dip. I have Prazi, cupramine and kanaplex on hand and Totally can’t get metro...;Locktopic

11. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Well, for black ich (if that is what it is) prazi is what you’d treat with. Two doses, 5-7 days apart with a 25% water change before the second dose- same as flukes.

12. Lasse

Lasse Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Black spot can be a secondary effect of a mechanical damage. If a fish gets a mechanical damage - the defence system sends up macrophages (in order to defeat bacteria) that just put some H2O2 in the wound, in order to limit the damage of the H2O2 some melanin (an antiradical) will be transported up too. It is very often that the fish will have a black spot after a mechanical damage. Just take it easy – if you confirm anything treat – but be sure before - because a treatment will always stress the fish.

Sincerely Lasse

Draft saved Draft deleted