OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the shortest answer possible, vinegar should be fine with a freshwater rinse and then letting it dry
Thanks for the quick response! would you recommend spraying everything (I keep it in s spray bottle to clean my other animals cages) or soaking everything for a while? Also does anyone know if vinegar would mess up the hannah salinity tester?
If vinegar is still legal in Canada...
SHHHHH! Don't give them any ideas:confused:

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not sure about the salinity tester, I'd proceed with caution because I don't want to be responsible for any damage. Spraying the rest of the stuff down with undiluted vinegar is the path I'd choose
If it didn't go well I wouldn't hold it against you, the only person responsible for the result of advice from the internet is the one who takes it;Hilarious

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd feel so bad I'd have to apologize ;Shamefullyembarrased
LpuT.gif

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to only do a water change on the QT today and I'm really glad I did because I've made my first QT bonehead mistake... Hopefully you guys can help me determine the exact extent of noobness that occurred. I should start by saying the fish is fine and didn't seem to mind the water change at all also his feces appear to be normal now (thicker, brown/green) so perhaps it was starvation, keeping an eye on him nonetheless.

I have three Bright orange home depot buckets for my saltwater tank, one 5 gallon and two 2 gallon. I usually fill a 2 gallon bucket with RODI, add the salt some power heads and a heater and leave it be for an hour and a half. Once I get the salinity right I get the other 2 gallon bucket and match it to the other bucket and then pour the new water into the tank and call it a day.

Long story short I put both powerheads and the heater into the 5 gallon bucket to make one batch for the qt tank and I was going to follow up with a batch for display. However when I was checking the salinity with my hannah salinity tester I had the bright idea to check the QT tank which I did... and then I rechecked the bucket... So now that I have contaminated everything- how should I go about disinfecting it all? My girl friend has a bunch of parrots so bleach is out of the question. Would spraying everything with white vinegar or soaking it in freshwater for x amount of time be effective?

Please forgive a youngster (a swedish expression when you are confused :)) - did you not say that your DT was empty from fish? What in the heck could you have contaminate with in that case?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive a youngster (a swedish expression when you are confused :)) - did you not say that your DT was empty from fish? What in the heck could you have contaminate with in that case?

Sincerely Lasse

My DT is fishless and is only occupied by two hermit crabs. Although I have not observed any I believe Uronema can survive without a host so if I where to introduce that no fallow period could be employed.

I did not contaminate the DT, I exposed the salinity tester to the qt water and then used it to measure the water in the bucket which means I’ve contaminated the 5 gallon bucket, two powerheads, heater, salt scoop and my salt although I don’t think any diseases can survive in dry salt mix... right?:confused:

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Unfortunately I've noticed some worrying signs with my Plectranthias. His colour is still bright and well defined and his stomach has definitely started to fill out a little (rotating omega brine, spirulina brine and mysis every other day-eating like a champ) but yesterday I noticed a small black mark at the base of his dorsal fin and also noted that it was only on one side. I rechecked all the images of the species on google and wasn't able to find a photo of any that had such a mark there. When I got home tonight I noticed that it appeared to have become slightly larger and the fish was in a good position so I grabbed some pics with my phone. I'm a little worried this may be black ich because when I did the freshwater dip I noticed some small black specs in the bottom of the container but figured they were from the piece of black stone I used to weigh down the air diffuser and didn't think much of it.

Also since last observing him I noticed a single white spot on his tail and possibly one on his dorsal fin (you can only see the spot on the tail in the photos). I'm unsure if it was just the way he was moving his tail but the spot appeared to be moving around a little. I plan on checking on him before I go to work tomorrow to see if the white dot is still there or if it was possibly just some debris of some sort. both the black spot and white spot appear to be slightly raised (the former slightly more than the latter). I've attached a photo and circled the spots with blue, upon looking at the photo its possible the white spot may just be dust on the tank glass since there is an almost identical spot right beside the white one that isn't on the fish, this could also explain how the spot appeared to be moving). I'll clean the glass tomorrow and probably (assuming the fish cooperates) get my macro lens and try to get some actual photos once I get back from work.

Do you guys think I should do another 5 minute fresh water dip (with a different coloured stone)?

Thanks in Advance!
42E1309A-F91F-4EBA-AEDB-B6001AF5BB80.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Unfortunately I've noticed some worrying signs with my Plectranthias. His colour is still bright and well defined and his stomach has definitely started to fill out a little (rotating omega brine, spirulina brine and mysis every other day-eating like a champ) but yesterday I noticed a small black mark at the base of his dorsal fin and also noted that it was only on one side. I rechecked all the images of the species on google and wasn't able to find a photo of any that had such a mark there. When I got home tonight I noticed that it appeared to have become slightly larger and the fish was in a good position so I grabbed some pics with my phone. I'm a little worried this may be black ich because when I did the freshwater dip I noticed some small black specs in the bottom of the container but figured they were from the piece of black stone I used to weigh down the air diffuser and didn't think much of it.

Also since last observing him I noticed a single white spot on his tail and possibly one on his dorsal fin (you can only see the spot on the tail in the photos). I'm unsure if it was just the way he was moving his tail but the spot appeared to be moving around a little. I plan on checking on him before I go to work tomorrow to see if the white dot is still there or if it was possibly just some debris of some sort. both the black spot and white spot appear to be slightly raised (the former slightly more than the latter). I've attached a photo and circled the spots with blue, upon looking at the photo its possible the white spot may just be dust on the tank glass since there is an almost identical spot right beside the white one that isn't on the fish, this could also explain how the spot appeared to be moving). I'll clean the glass tomorrow and probably (assuming the fish cooperates) get my macro lens and try to get some actual photos once I get back from work.

Do you guys think I should do another 5 minute fresh water dip (with a different coloured stone)?

Thanks in Advance!
42E1309A-F91F-4EBA-AEDB-B6001AF5BB80.jpeg

It’s difficult to tell from the photo, it doesn’t quite look like black ich but I could be wrong. I would try to watch to see if it remains in the exact same spot, or moves/reappears in another location.

Is the freshwater dip the only treatment administered so far?

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s difficult to tell from the photo, it doesn’t quite look like black ich but I could be wrong. I would try to watch to see if it remains in the exact same spot, or moves/reappears in another location.

Is the freshwater dip the only treatment administered so far?
Yeah sorry about the photo, I haven’t broke my Iphone in a while (only time I upgrade) so the camera is pretty rough, I’ll get my actual camera, macro and a tripod after work and see if I can’t get some better photos.

And yes the only action I’ve taken was the initial FW dip. I have Prazi, cupramine and kanaplex on hand and Totally can’t get metro...;Locktopic

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry about the photo, I haven’t broke my Iphone in a while (only time I upgrade) so the camera is pretty rough, I’ll get my actual camera, macro and a tripod after work and see if I can’t get some better photos.

And yes the only action I’ve taken was the initial FW dip. I have Prazi, cupramine and kanaplex on hand and Totally can’t get metro...;Locktopic

Well, for black ich (if that is what it is) prazi is what you’d treat with. Two doses, 5-7 days apart with a 25% water change before the second dose- same as flukes.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black spot can be a secondary effect of a mechanical damage. If a fish gets a mechanical damage - the defence system sends up macrophages (in order to defeat bacteria) that just put some H2O2 in the wound, in order to limit the damage of the H2O2 some melanin (an antiradical) will be transported up too. It is very often that the fish will have a black spot after a mechanical damage. Just take it easy – if you confirm anything treat – but be sure before - because a treatment will always stress the fish.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for black ich (if that is what it is) prazi is what you’d treat with. Two doses, 5-7 days apart with a 25% water change before the second dose- same as flukes.
Thanks! Luckily it doesn't seem to be black ich but I'm keeping my eye on it!
Black spot can be a secondary effect of a mechanical damage. If a fish gets a mechanical damage - the defence system sends up macrophages (in order to defeat bacteria) that just put some H2O2 in the wound, in order to limit the damage of the H2O2 some melanin (an antiradical) will be transported up too. It is very often that the fish will have a black spot after a mechanical damage. Just take it easy – if you confirm anything treat – but be sure before - because a treatment will always stress the fish.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks! I was completely unaware of this phenomenon, thats fascinating! I've continued observing it and it appears that it is some sort of physical damage since the spot has decreased in size and I have not observed any more spots elsewhere on the fish. I'll continue to keep a close eye on him though!

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on such an awesome quarantine set-up. You should be commended for being so responsible.

Assuming you have some ammonia tests? With a newly set-up tank you’ll probably want to test ammonia daily. It’s good to have some prime on hand as well in case ammonia gets out of control.

Are you planning to treat or just observe?

Although make sure you do not add prime to your water with copper in it! The prime will strip the copper down and cause it to be highly toxic to your fish! Also regular ammonia tests do not work with copper in the system but the ammonia badges do so your perfect!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although make sure you do not add prime to your water with copper in it! The prime will strip the copper down and cause it to be highly toxic to your fish! Also regular ammonia tests do not work with copper in the system but the ammonia badges do so your perfect!
Thanks for the heads up! I was aware that prime reacts poorly with copper but I appreciate the heads up nonetheless!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Well its been 30 days of observation and so far no major red flags! The two black dots circled in the above photo haven't grown in size or spread anywhere else, if this was black ich would I have seen more black spots by now? I could try another FW dip I suppose but I'd rather not loose the trust I've gained with him (Much less nervous about me watching him, being in the room etc, actually comes over to see what I'm doing now).

I also noticed some feces and took a photo, it looks different from the freshwater stuff I'm use to seeing but being my first saltwater fish I figured it would be best to ask if this looks normal.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_9400.jpg

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to bother you guys again but I just want to be as sure as I possibly can before I add Atlas to the DT because I don't think I'm ever really going to be able to get him out of there;Hilarious I forgot to mention I'm pretty sure the discolouration is just from most of his meals being mysis shrimp lately.

@ngoodermuth @Lasse @Mjrenz Do you guys think that I'm good to go based off what I've said above?

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any more white spots on him like what was in the photo above on his tail fin?
Wow you work quickly!

I confirmed that the spot was never on this fish, it was a spec of dust on the glass and it only appeared to be on the fish when the fish was directly behind it. The spot also wasn't moving around him slowly, he was slowly moving around the spot.. my bad;Hilarious

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you work quickly!

I confirmed that the spot was never on this fish, it was a spec of dust on the glass and it only appeared to be on the fish when the fish was directly behind it. The spot also wasn't moving around him slowly, he was slowly moving around the spot.. my bad;Hilarious
Well that's a good thing! Whether you add him to the DT or not is going to have to be your call, since it's been 30 days odds are he doesn't have anything serious that he can take into the tank with him, however, the only way to be certain is prophylactic treatment. It depends on the type of risk you're willing to take.

Back