midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weekends ago, I almost bought a brand new Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 20. It was on sale for $240 and came with lights. I debated and when I finally decided to pull the trigger on it, it was gone. It just disappeared from my shopping cart. POOF!! It was no longer available on the shop's website. I was pretty upset with myself for the next couple of days. I kept pricing things out, but I really felt like I lost out on a great first tank. So, I started scanning Craigslist and after a few days of scanning, a listing for a used Innovative Marine NUVO SR-60 appeared and the seller lived right around the corner from me. It came with lights, 4 filter socks, two pumps, heater, stand, RODI unit, and a bunch of other items. I'm not going to divulge the price, but it was a really great deal!! After seeing the tank, I snagged it immediately. Last week I cleaned it with a vinegar mix and then sterilized it with a bleach mix. I got it into the house over the weekend and I'm waiting on the rocks to arrive. I'm beyond excited about this even though my wife thinks I'm insane. I intend to be patient with this hobby so there's not going to be a tankful of livestock within a month. I'm going to take my time with this and hope to do things right. I'll document this tank build here as well as on my blog. I appreciate your feedback, especially if I'm drifting off course.
03C600BF-170A-4697-9991-C0E0FE4C9797.JPG
0BCA7C5F-8804-4039-B30A-CDABF2169AAE.JPG
03C600BF-170A-4697-9991-C0E0FE4C9797.JPG

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank and on starting your build thread! This is a great opportunity to let others follow along and also in 6 months or a year you will be able to look back and see how much things have changed! Let the adventure begin!!! :)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are lots. I am going to be going jebao on mine. I haven't used them yet though. In the past I have always used korelia. The real q is how much money do you want to spend. Many brands get the job done.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, the SR-60 setup was meant to be, and fate was helping you out with that missed online deal.

As far as which power heads to go with, "it depends" (you will hear that alot in this hobby). What do you eventually envision for the system? FOWLR? Mixed-reef? Something else?

OP
OP
midlife-reefer

midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, I know. But, with two girls and their extracurriculars, everything else takes a backseat. Anyway, I got about 60 lbs of dry rock and that was too much for this tank. I should've gotten less and see what I needed and gone from there. I lack creativity and I went through many aquascape variations. But, I settled on this one. I wish there are more interesting pictures to send, but I told myself to take things slow and be patient, so I'm doing my best to heed my advice. Time to get the water in and start the cycle. I'm planning on a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's and ammonia drops to feed the bacteria. Any suggestions for the first livestock for this tank? I'm thinking 3 Blue Green Chromis to start followed by a Royal Gramma Basslet. I'm holding off on the Clowns until the tank is established for a bubble tip.

IMG_5406.JPG

BJs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, I know. But, with two girls and their extracurriculars, everything else takes a backseat. Anyway, I got about 60 lbs of dry rock and that was too much for this tank. I should've gotten less and see what I needed and gone from there. I lack creativity and I went through many aquascape variations. But, I settled on this one. I wish there are more interesting pictures to send, but I told myself to take things slow and be patient, so I'm doing my best to heed my advice. Time to get the water in and start the cycle. I'm planning on a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's and ammonia drops to feed the bacteria. Any suggestions for the first livestock for this tank? I'm thinking 3 Blue Green Chromis to start followed by a Royal Gramma Basslet. I'm holding off on the Clowns until the tank is established for a bubble tip.

IMG_5406.JPG
I like the aquascaping. Will look really w

IMG_5406.JPG
Great tank. I like the aquascaping, i think it will look great. Im excto watch your build. I too have a SR 60. Im in the process of moving and will be setting it up after i ive completely moved. What lighting and filtration are you planning to use?

OP
OP
midlife-reefer

midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascaping. Will look really w

Great tank. I like the aquascaping, i think it will look great. Im excto watch your build. I too have a SR 60. Im in the process of moving and will be setting it up after i ive completely moved. What lighting and filtration are you planning to use?
The day after you commented, I changed the aquascape around because it didn't seem to have enough open space for the livestock. I'll update with a picture.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back