First Saltwater Tank!! Fluval 13.5

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years and years of freshwater, time to move on to saltwater! I’ve just filled my Fluval 13.5 with sand and water! I look forward to the advice I’ll get from this forum, which I will certainly need plenty of! So far, after a day of the tank being filled, things are going well! I look forward to giving many updates on my tank!
CD9EB560-0B2D-4160-A2B1-7E48B1FEA057.jpeg

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Ill give some basic tips here.

Live sand or Dry sand? If dry you will absolutely want to get some bottled bacteria in there to help the tank cycle (recommend Microbacter7). If you are going reef now is a good time to add your rock. Preferably live, for that tiny of a tank it should be relatively inexpensive and easy to pickup some established live rock from your LFS. You dont need much. 15 lbs should do it.

Although, the stock lighting is only 16w you should be able to get away with most softies and the lower light demanding LPS. I don't think you would get much growth from SPS (though people have claimed to do so) however personally I think maintaining a stable enough environment in tank that small might be tough or cost prohibitive.

Get yourself a decent test kit (hannas, red sea, salifert) and make sure your testing on a regular basis. Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, P04, and if your going to keep coral you will need Calc/Alk tests. You want a good ammonia spike, and drop off. Then once Ammonia, Nitrite are at 0 and Nitrate under 10 you should feed the tank test for ammonia and watch for the drop off back to 0. If you tank does that your ready for livestock I would introduce a clean up crew first. Also I am a firm believer in handling crap before it starts. I would be dosing Vibrant from the start on a new tank to lessen the effects of new tank syndrome ( Diatom/Dino/Cyano) outbreaks.

Personally I would wait until the tank is well established to introduce any corals. 6 Months minimum however in this hobby everyone has different outcomes and circumstances. If your tank is starting to grow coralline algae you should be ready, if not dont worry. Softies might still do just fine at first.

Dont put anything in your tank that you cant test for.

And I will always say to anyone new or experienced. Ease is the key to success in this hobby. Make your life easier and your tank will be more successful 10 fold.

On a nano tank, do not underestimate the power of a water change. If you can do 50% weekly you will be wildly successful. Even 40% or 5 Gallons would be outstanding. Things get out of control quick in a nano, they are tough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Any stocking plans so far?
Thanks! My current plan involves an ocellaris clownfish, (maybe) a peaceful damsel, a fire fish, and a neon goby to clean any parasites. For crustaceans I’m planning an emerald crab and a typical clean up crew (hermits, turbo snails, etc.) For coral I am 100% set on getting a pulsing Xenia coral, I just love everything about them!
I mostly am looking to have fun with this, but not overwhelm myself either. I’ve kept many freshwater tanks that crashed (usually because of a puffer), so I’m definitely looking to do everything right!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Ill give some basic tips here.

Live sand or Dry sand? If dry you will absolutely want to get some bottled bacteria in there to help the tank cycle (recommend Microbacter7). If you are going reef now is a good time to add your rock. Preferably live, for that tiny of a tank it should be relatively inexpensive and easy to pickup some established live rock from your LFS. You dont need much. 15 lbs should do it.

Although, the stock lighting is only 16w you should be able to get away with most softies and the lower light demanding LPS. I don't think you would get much growth from SPS (though people have claimed to do so) however personally I think maintaining a stable enough environment in tank that small might be tough or cost prohibitive.

Get yourself a decent test kit (hannas, red sea, salifert) and make sure your testing on a regular basis. Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, P04, and if your going to keep coral you will need Calc/Alk tests. You want a good ammonia spike, and drop off. Then once Ammonia, Nitrite are at 0 and Nitrate under 10 you should feed the tank test for ammonia and watch for the drop off back to 0. If you tank does that your ready for livestock I would introduce a clean up crew first. Also I am a firm believer in handling crap before it starts. I would be dosing Vibrant from the start on a new tank to lessen the effects of new tank syndrome ( Diatom/Dino/Cyano) outbreaks.

Personally I would wait until the tank is well established to introduce any corals. 6 Months minimum however in this hobby everyone has different outcomes and circumstances. If your tank is starting to grow coralline algae you should be ready, if not dont worry. Softies might still do just fine at first.

Dont put anything in your tank that you cant test for.

And I will always say to anyone new or experienced. Ease is the key to success in this hobby. Make your life easier and your tank will be more successful 10 fold.

On a nano tank, do not underestimate the power of a water change. If you can do 50% weekly you will be wildly successful. Even 40% or 5 Gallons would be outstanding. Things get out of control quick in a nano, they are tough.
Thanks for the tips! I currently have roughly 20 lbs of live sand, and was going to get the live rocks until Petco (I know, I know!) advised I wait a week or two (which I knew was wrong) so I’ll go back for the rock probably tomorrow. I wish I didn’t have to deal with Petco, but the only lfs within a reasonable distance from me went out of business, and the Petco I go to is really good on their fish section (one person there knows his aquatics. The other people....not so much). I don’t plan on keeping sps, as I know they can be quite a bit of work. I’m looking at the hardiest species such as Xenia coral or zoas.
Thanks for the advise :D

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years and years of freshwater, time to move on to saltwater! I’ve just filled my Fluval 13.5 with sand and water! I look forward to the advice I’ll get from this forum, which I will certainly need plenty of! So far, after a day of the tank being filled, things are going well! I look forward to giving many updates on my tank!
CD9EB560-0B2D-4160-A2B1-7E48B1FEA057.jpeg
Welcome to Fluval gang!! Go make a build thread for us all to enjoy and follow ☺

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! One of my friends just got one of these for her kitchen counter and I think it is stunning. I am now on the look to replace my 29 gallon biocube with something similar.

And welcome!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back