OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem. Try to top off every day or other day so the total change in SG is not more then .01 or so. If you have a refugium of any type slowly add water in there so you don't stress your more delicate critters. If something happens and your SG gets way high it is often best to bring it up over a period of time by adding lower SG saltwater and doing wc.
Yeah, I try to top off as many times as needed a day

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about tank mates for my bipolar blenny. I know they're playful fish and like company, so what should I get? I was thinking a clown or hector's goby and a cleaner shrimp or sexy shrimp. The only drawback to the goby is that it also likes rocks to hide in. I don't have too many rocks in my tank, and it's already smaller than I would want a bicolor blenny in, so I don't want to push for space. An open swimmer would be the best choice, but are there any that can live happily in ten gallons? Remember, the fish come first, so I don't want to push it. The only reason I don't think a clown goby is the best idea is because I heard that bicolor blennys become aggressive to similarly colored fish. Maybe I could get a green one?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should invest in an ATO, they keep salinity stable and cut down on maintenance. I have a Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 I could sell you reasonably. They are a good top-off, one of the most popular and they come with a pump.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to ReeftoReef
But just to let you know that is not a HOB refugium but being your tank is small I guess you could use it for one. Normal HOB refugiums have a water pump going into it to pass water through it. Look at CPR aquatics they may have a small enough one that will work for you ( I had a large one on my 37 gallon freshwater)

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to ReeftoReef
But just to let you know that is not a HOB refugium but being your tank is small I guess you could use it for one. Normal HOB refugiums have a water pump going into it to pass water through it. Look at CPR aquatics they may have a small enough one that will work for you ( I had a large one on my 37 gallon freshwater)
I understand that it's intended to be used as a breeder box, but it works just fine for me. Thanks!

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend an ATO. Keeps the sg stable and is an opportunity to dose kalkwasser later when you need it for corals. I have the Tunze Nano on my BC29. Just watch for small snails getting in the float housing. I may put screen on the bottom.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend an ATO. Keeps the sg stable and is an opportunity to dose kalkwasser later when you need it for corals. I have the Tunze Nano on my BC29. Just watch for small snails getting in the float housing. I may put screen on the bottom.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might get one, might not. I'm moving in a little over a year, so I'll have to sell all of the livestock.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any comments about a teammate for my bicolor blenny?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it weird that I like cleaning the glass? [emoji12] [emoji12]
That's not weird. I think it's kind of therapeutic. You should only have to do it every two or three days at the most after the initial cycle. Should only have to do it weekly.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm thinking about getting another fish this weekend. Is it too early? If so, can I just get a shrimp or something? I'll post parameters soon, and I plan to do a water change soon.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 5-10
I'm about to do a water change, I'll post the parameters after the change, too.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nitrite is worrisome. What test kit are these reading from?
Api. Most of the testing is pretty accurate, but i have a feeling it mistakes 0 for 0.5 with nitrite- even after the water change the nitrite was 0.5. I'll ask my LFS to test the water if/when I get a new fish. The only thing that died was a hermit crab five minutes ago, he lost his shell or something. I saw him climbing shelless on top of the rocks. I then put him with his shell, but his movements were feeble and he wouldn't get back in. He stopped moving and the narrisus (however that's spelled) started racing over, so I took him out of the tank and threw his body away. If i do have high nitrite I didn't need something else adding too it. Additionally, when I added the blenny the nitrite was at 0.5 (I thought there could be some nitrite in the water [emoji27] [emoji27] ). Still alive and healthy though. The only other thing I want to mention is that my blenny gets stripes while sleeping. It first i thought it was the flashlight I was using at night, but one morning I turned on the light and he was still sleeping on top of the rocks, with those stripes! I turned away for a second, and when I looked again he was awake without stripe. What is that? Also, am I ready for more fish? Sorry for the long entry!

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nitrite is worrisome. What test kit are these reading from?
Api. Most of the testing is pretty accurate, but i have a feeling it mistakes 0 for 0.5 with nitrite- even after the water change the nitrite was 0.5. I'll ask my LFS to test the water if/when I get a new fish. The only thing that died was a hermit crab five minutes ago, he lost his shell or something. I saw him climbing shelless on top of the rocks. I then put him with his shell, but his movements were feeble and he wouldn't get back in. He stopped moving and the narrisus (however that's spelled) started racing over, so I took him out of the tank and threw his body away. If i do have high nitrite I didn't need something else adding too it. Additionally, when I added the blenny the nitrite was at 0.5 (I thought there could be some nitrite in the water [emoji27] [emoji27] ). Still alive and healthy though. The only other thing I want to mention is that my blenny gets stripes while sleeping. It first i thought it was the flashlight I was using at night, but one morning I turned on the light and he was still sleeping on top of the rocks, with those stripes! I turned away for a second, and when I looked again he was awake without stripe. What is that? Also, am I ready for more fish? Sorry for the long entry!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stripes are normal I call it their PJs. It can also happen if they get really mad or stressed at something. If the nitrite is false then you are fine to add a little more but if there is actually nitrite then yourun bacteria growth is falling apart bit behind the bio load. If you have a bottled bacteria product that wouldnt hurt to add it.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite still at 0.5 [emoji26] [emoji26] . If it doesn't get lower by tomorrow I'll take a sample to my LFS and get it tested there. If it really is 0.5 I'll get bacteria in a bottle.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would get it checked with a different test kit for sure. It is likely a false reading if it isn't changing though.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back