OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why I haven't gotten an algae bloom yet? There's a little on the reminents of the food I used, but that's white. I used live sand and dry rock (the sand may have died, I ended up mixing the salt and water in the tank).
3df43e3a580dadcce241d5d65aca763e.jpg

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your lighting cycle currently?
I really don't have any lights on it, I'm using the light currently on my freshwater right next to it. I would think I'd have algae, however, because the tanks are really close, I have a window nearby, and I also have a full spectrum led plant grower.
252aef37900f59b7d046862f6bf3cccc.jpg

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the light and did the big water change! Everything's on track for tomorrow. Make sure you check this in the morning, I'll post the parameters and I need your feedback on what animals I can get right now. Thank you guys so much! This has helped a LOT, and I appreciate all if your advise!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always side on caution and start with just cuc. Watch to make sure ammonia doesn't spike over a week of light feeding the cuc then one or two fish.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always side on caution and start with just cuc. Watch to make sure ammonia doesn't spike over a week of light feeding the cuc then one or two fish.
Sorry I disobeyed you... [emoji26] I got a CUC (two hermits three snails), macro algae, a mushroom, and a bicolor benny. Acclimating now!

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I acclimate for? Please be specific for the different things I got, they all come from different tanks.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drip acclimate everything but the macro. How long depends on. The difference between Sg of the waters. Generally 30 min to 1 hr if the water is similar. Let me see if I can scrounge up the link.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drip acclimate everything but the macro. How long depends on. The difference between Sg of the waters. Generally 30 min to 1 hr if the water is similar. Let me see if I can scrounge up the link.
Thanks for the advise! Everything's in!
cfa37c006393af9c2613f62ee592da0b.jpg
7a90bd4d80cdbc91901848d84950c610.jpg
c31b633ad37c6c88b01bf528ba8e8826.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get a picture of the blending or hermit crabs (I'm sure you've seen blue legged hermit crabs, though [emoji6] ). The bicolor benny is shy right now, and the hermit crabs are small, so I don't know where they are. Does anyone know what kind of snails and macro algae I have? The people at the fish store were good in helping me pick out the CUC, I just don't know what most of them are. The macro algae I didn't even buy, they stuck it in there because I don't have a lot of algae for them to eat. One less thing for me to buy!![emoji23] [emoji23] Thanks!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algea is grape caulerpa. The snails looks like a margarita snail. Unfortunately those guys like cooler water so if your tank gets on the warm side they may not fair well.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algea is grape caulerpa. The snails looks like a margarita snail. Unfortunately those guys like cooler water so if your tank gets on the warm side they may not fair well.
Thank you! I'm working on putting in a cooling fan for the summer.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the freshwater from top offs can hurt or stress coral, fish, inverts, or anything? I see the salinity difference when I top off, and I'm scared it's going to kill something.

danielsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the freshwater from top offs can hurt or stress coral, fish, inverts, or anything? I see the salinity difference when I top off, and I'm scared it's going to kill something.
How much salinity differents is there and how much dose the temperature change

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much salinity differents is there and how much dose the temperature change
Well I'm topping it off with pure freshwater, so 100%. I'm topping it off at room temperature, so the temperature difference isn't too bad.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm topping it off with pure freshwater, so 100%. I'm topping it off at room temperature, so the temperature difference isn't too bad.
I have never had a problem. Try to top off every day or other day so the total change in SG is not more then .01 or so. If you have a refugium of any type slowly add water in there so you don't stress your more delicate critters. If something happens and your SG gets way high it is often best to bring it up over a period of time by adding lower SG saltwater and doing wc.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back