First tank cycle--nitrites not dropping even though nitrates are going well?

DJWildWilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 4 weeks into a new tank cycle started with fish and dry rock and dry sand in a 6 5gal tank. Used brightwell tank starterXLT. and all went well at first. However, now I am still showing pretty high nitrites (2.0), even though I have fairly strong nitrates (40) and a few phosphates (<0.25)--using API Reef masters kit. 2 days ago I added about 4 lbs of live rock from LFS that has green and coraline algae on it to boost the biodiverstiy and add more of the nitrite-to nitrate bacteria. Been fighting a Brown slime on horizontal surface that gets light for over a week.

Just don't understand why nitrites are not falling??? and don't want to add any thing else until they do??? Any ideas?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the nitrite burst coincide with the addition of the live rock?

Perhaps there was die off on the rock that caused an ammonia spike? If so, the system would need time to process the spike. Unless there is something else that could have caused an ammonia spike (thereby causing a nitrite spike). The residue you describe may be bacterial/etc die off. It well reduce in time. You can skim it off.

If not, did anything die or feeding regimen change?

OP
OP
DJWildWilly

DJWildWilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the nitrite burst coincide with the addition of the live rock?

Perhaps there was die off on the rock that caused an ammonia spike? If so, the system would need time to process the spike. Unless there is something else that could have caused an ammonia spike (thereby causing a nitrite spike). The residue you describe may be bacterial/etc die off. It well reduce in time. You can skim it off.

If not, did anything die or feeding regimen change?
The nitrite did not spike--it has never come down. I have not seen any significant ammonia rise since it dropped an nitrites started showing up. I did lose a clown but they never ate so I kind of expected it and got it out within a couple of hours of death--and next day still had zero ammonia.

Nitrites just won't come down???

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrite did not spike--it has never come down. I have not seen any significant ammonia rise since it dropped an nitrites started showing up. I did lose a clown but they never ate so I kind of expected it and got it out within a couple of hours of death--and next day still had zero ammonia.

Nitrites just won't come down???
What is your ammonia reading and how is it trending?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 4 weeks into a new tank cycle started with fish and dry rock and dry sand in a 6 5gal tank. Used brightwell tank starterXLT. and all went well at first. However, now I am still showing pretty high nitrites (2.0), even though I have fairly strong nitrates (40) and a few phosphates (<0.25)--using API Reef masters kit. 2 days ago I added about 4 lbs of live rock from LFS that has green and coraline algae on it to boost the biodiverstiy and add more of the nitrite-to nitrate bacteria. Been fighting a Brown slime on horizontal surface that gets light for over a week.

Just don't understand why nitrites are not falling??? and don't want to add any thing else until they do??? Any ideas?
Nitrites are not hazardous at that level. They will come down eventually. Your nitrate reading is almost certainly false because the nitrites mess with the nitrate results. A tank pic would be fabulous.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All cycles like this one are complete by week 4, stop measuring nitrite it is neutral in reefing

see this large proof thread, your cycle is done.

you are 100% done cycling, even a common cycling chart agrees.

next up: don’t add a single fish until you read the fish disease forum and select a disease prevention protocol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live rock wasn't even factored above. It's presence will carry your full initial bioloading by itself... you're doubly cycled.

It is better to not own a nitrite test kit in reefing than to own one, it's that unneeded to know. Nitrite is a neutral parameter in cycling it can't burn anything or harm any aspect of the cycle.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forget Nitrite, it is unimportant in a marine tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite toxicity will never be reached in a reef tank setting and nitrite will never stall ammonia processing. This is in direct challenge to macna videos on YouTube claiming otherwise... good thing we have ten massive work threads for nitrite positive tanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJWildWilly

DJWildWilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone--I had no idea how little nitrites meant (thanks for the link to the research Brandon)--thought they had to come down before I was safe to move forward. I see now it is mostly about nitrate production, and then the management of the nitrates...and yes Brandon I had a fish disease protocol, but in looking at what the thread has to offer I am making some changes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back