First Tank with no skimmer? Possible?

Is it possible to go only canister filter if you are new to the hobby?(150L tank)

• yes, but its tricky

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • no chance, you will fail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wait and do a normal tank with skimmer and so on

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it'd doable and easy as long as u dont mind keeping very light livestock. I ran 1st tank (65 gal w sump) without a skimmer w just 3 fish (2 clowns & Kole tang), 1 small anemone, CUC & few small corals, fed very light w regular water changes. Tank ran w DSB & loaded w liverock directly from the ocean (TBS rocks), I honestly believe the liverocks from ocean allowed me to run that tank skimmerless.

OP
OP
P

Phtevenw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summary build - research each:

Cycle like normal - tons of articles and advice. Shrimp is good, ammonia is good...bacteria addtions are optional but do take a few days off the cycle time.

Do not need to any filtration until after cycle. Don't need to do any WC either until after cycle before fish. Don't forget to feed bacteria if delaying adding fish. Add CUC in small adds to match fish.

Weekly (or more often) water changes should be considered your primary nutrient removal and add other (HOB, canister) to supplement or extend time between or reduce volume WC needed. If you have canister lying around - sure. They work - clean it weekly without fail. If not, there's HOB filters (buy biggest that fits on back, not the manufacture recommended).

Load them with recommended amounts of the media and brands you select (GAC, phosphate removal, chemi-pure may be an excellent choice without skimmer - haven't used myself but I will try if ever go your route).

Don't need any extra power head in tank unless corals require but it's always good for O2 exchange.

Recommend you start with 1 fire fish or other goby. Clowns will eat more and can be more aggressive plus not all clowns are the same - some get quite large. But if you must research carefully before buying.

Good luck!

The shrimp method and or the cycle with extra bacteria sounded quite nice i think.
I am sorry that i have to ask but i have no clue what those shortcuts mean, CUC? HOB? GAC? its a bit hard to get to know all the shortcuts, watching a lot of videos in english but reading the technical books in german...
I am scared that there i too less O2 in the water if i dont have a filter where the water flows through, but i have no idea if that a problem or not

I say go for it, without the skimmer. Especially if the goal is to have this become the quarantine tank for a larger tank. Here's why:

Smaller nano skimmers are mostly ineffective. They do help, but being in tune with the water and disciplined water changes is more efficient, and to your advantage as you learn.

As a new reefer, learning the basics of managing your water first is important and a smaller tank will be less complex so you can focus on those basics without the complexity of an entire system. Focus on managing your water, and your reef will follow.

You get to scratch the itch now, and still take your time researching the more expensive equipment (and bigger budget) you'll need for a full system in a little while.

Starting small, and taking the longer view will teach patience, something that even experienced reefers have trouble with. Anyone who tells you they don't sometimes change too many things at once, or isn't tempted by impulse purchases of gear or livestock is flat out lying.
I have no problem with buying propper equipment, i just dont wanna buy stuff which i wont need afterwards, so no problem with a expensive light as example. As said I would like to use this system as a quarantine or frag tank afterwards. so no problem with going a bit more expensive

Yes it'd doable and easy as long as u dont mind keeping very light livestock. I ran 1st tank (65 gal w sump) without a skimmer w just 3 fish (2 clowns & Kole tang), 1 small anemone, CUC & few small corals, fed very light w regular water changes. Tank ran w DSB & loaded w liverock directly from the ocean (TBS rocks), I honestly believe the liverocks from ocean allowed me to run that tank skimmerless.

So you did a extra sump or these small ones you clamp on the back?
I would like to only have one tank for now, no sump if possible.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you did a extra sump or these small ones you clamp on the back?
I would like to only have one tank for now, no sump if possible.
I used a regular sump underneath tank inside the stand. I believe its still doable w/o sump as long as there'll be plenty of liverock for filtration & good tank husbandry is maintained. When I moved, all my livestock survived a week inside a brute w liverocks, powerhead and heater.

saltWaterFam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy here: If you choose not to run a skimmer in your sump then what are people putting in their sump? Heater, sponge/floss/sock? Seems like that could be accomplished with a HOB and in tank heater?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy here: If you choose not to run a skimmer in your sump then what are people putting in their sump? Heater, sponge/floss/sock? Seems like that could be accomplished with a HOB and in tank heater?
when I ran w/o skimmer, sump contained filter sock, heater, doser & ATO tubing and refugium (deep sand) w chaeto.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I don’t run a sump lol but I also don’t have a tank over 100 gallons.
if you have...under 50, hob will cover it if you only want mechanical filtration. Personally if I had that big of a tank, I would use the sump as a refugium. I only run different particle size filter pads in my tanks and medium flow with water changes.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO most big tanks have a skimmer because it’s harder to do a 10%+ water change on them than a 20 gallon lol

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never had a skimmer, but I've also never had a large tank. My tank is fully stocked with LPS and RFA's. 2 clowns and a decent clean up crew. I currently don't have a powerhead in my tank either *gasp!*

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is very possible to run a tank without a skimmer.

IMHO if you start the tank balanced out with macro algae there is no need for a skimmer. Or live rock. or filters. Or water changes. and so on.

The simplest way is just to partition your tank with some egg crate a few inches from the glass. Then add side lighting and add chaeto between the glass and egg crate. (actually the lights are outside the tank and the algae inside. LOL) The chaeto will consume wastes, and carbon dioxide and return oxygen and fish food.

But that's just me and my .02

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back