First time QTing

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a RedSea 750xxl. I started my first tank without quarantine fish and after my fourth round of adding fish some got sick and wiped the tank out. I cleaned out the entire tank and am starting again new. I currently have two clown fish, three small damsels and a tang in a quarantine tank. I got two small 10 gallons. I used the fluval 307 I had from my previous fresh water tank as a filter, added a heater and got some prepackaged salt water. I have the salinity at 1.019, heater around 75-78. I added one packet of general cure a couple days ago along with some Ich medicine. Did water change after 2 days, added api salt to help the fish with stress, again medicated the second packet of general cure and Ich, testes water parameters were good. Did a water change today again after 2 days (only changing around half the water) and only added some Ich medicine to finish the third dose. My tang is not swimming very well. After every water change I add the api salt to help. My one small damsel was dark blue but after the water change and salt turned a light blue shade. Attaching a pic of the QT. Please help me this is my first time doing a QT, I plan to add the carbon back to the Fluval 307 maybe in 2 days to get the medicine out after a day will shift the fish to the other 10 gallons using the same filter and heater but just to make sure there’s no medicine on them before going in the DT. They’ve been in the QT for about a week tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. My DT I added prepackaged salt water but because it reads at 1.030 I plan on diluting to bring down to 1.020. I have a protein skimmer and heater. I plan on purchasing the marine pure bio spheres for a biological filtration as my DT will be minamilistic, I don’t have any live rock I plan on buying bottles of bacteria to add to the spheres to kickstart the bacteria journey. I’m also thinking of getting a UV light but is there any way of getting one to drop into the sump, I’m not good with plumbing and don’t want to take apart my tank plumbing. I’m also thinking of getting some wavemakers just to better the flow of the tank, I have around 160 gallons in the tank and 40 in the sump, do I need two wavemakers or will one do? Any suggestions on affordable ones? Also do I just put the spheres in or put them in a bag? Any and all help is needed and much appreciated. Literally my first tank and after my last crash I need all the basic help I can get!! Thanks guys!

image.jpg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a RedSea 750xxl. I started my first tank without quarantine fish and after my fourth round of adding fish some got sick and wiped the tank out. I cleaned out the entire tank and am starting again new. I currently have two clown fish, three small damsels and a tang in a quarantine tank. I got two small 10 gallons. I used the fluval 307 I had from my previous fresh water tank as a filter, added a heater and got some prepackaged salt water. I have the salinity at 1.019, heater around 75-78. I added one packet of general cure a couple days ago along with some Ich medicine. Did water change after 2 days, added api salt to help the fish with stress, again medicated the second packet of general cure and Ich, testes water parameters were good. Did a water change today again after 2 days (only changing around half the water) and only added some Ich medicine to finish the third dose. My tang is not swimming very well. After every water change I add the api salt to help. My one small damsel was dark blue but after the water change and salt turned a light blue shade. Attaching a pic of the QT. Please help me this is my first time doing a QT, I plan to add the carbon back to the Fluval 307 maybe in 2 days to get the medicine out after a day will shift the fish to the other 10 gallons using the same filter and heater but just to make sure there’s no medicine on them before going in the DT. They’ve been in the QT for about a week tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. My DT I added prepackaged salt water but because it reads at 1.030 I plan on diluting to bring down to 1.020. I have a protein skimmer and heater. I plan on purchasing the marine pure bio spheres for a biological filtration as my DT will be minamilistic, I don’t have any live rock I plan on buying bottles of bacteria to add to the spheres to kickstart the bacteria journey. I’m also thinking of getting a UV light but is there any way of getting one to drop into the sump, I’m not good with plumbing and don’t want to take apart my tank plumbing. I’m also thinking of getting some wavemakers just to better the flow of the tank, I have around 160 gallons in the tank and 40 in the sump, do I need two wavemakers or will one do? Any suggestions on affordable ones? Also do I just put the spheres in or put them in a bag? Any and all help is needed and much appreciated. Literally my first tank and after my last crash I need all the basic help I can get!! Thanks guys!

image.jpg
Has your DT been cycled yet?
I would use at least 2 if not 3 wavemakers on a Reefer 750. I have 5 on my XL900.
I would get salinity some where between 1.024-1.026

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specifically did use treat fish with when you say Ich medicine. There are only 2 things that I have read about or found to kill Ich and that Copper or Hypo salinity. 1 week is not enough in QT as it takes 30 days to kill off Ich with Copper in QT. I would recommend you read the below article on proper QT procedures and follow them closely. Otherwise you may very likely just deal with disease and or parasites again.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specifically did use treat fish with when you say Ich medicine. There are only 2 things that I have read about or found to kill Ich and that Copper or Hypo salinity. 1 week is not enough in QT as it takes 30 days to kill off Ich with Copper in QT. I would recommend you read the below article on proper QT procedures and follow them closely. Otherwise you may very likely just deal with disease and or parasites again.
Thanks I will go through this. I’ve heard some people who don’t QT but instead use a UV light, any ideas on this?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your DT been cycled yet?
I would use at least 2 if not 3 wavemakers on a Reefer 750. I have 5 on my XL900.
I would get salinity some where between 1.024-1.026
No I haven’t cycled my tank yet, was going to QT fish and then put them in the DT to cycle. Any hints on cycling tank or the UV light?

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will go through this. I’ve heard some people who don’t QT but instead use a UV light, any ideas on this?
Uv is for managing ich thats already int the tank to the point that it hopefully doesn’t break out big. With proper QT you can hopefully avoid getting ich to begin with.
Many people can have fish and ich in their system with UV with few losses. Some fish will be bigger risk than others. I would still prefer not to have it at all

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe in QT, I went years without and got lucky until I didn’t. I first lost fish to Velvet which happens fast and then ICH. I have quarantined and medicated with copper with 100% success and I also did Hypo on my 1100 gallon display recently which right now seams to have worked also. I think I prefer the hypo but it won’t kill Velvet so you really have to watch close and be ready to add copper if symptoms appear . Good thing is hypo does kill flukes.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe in QT, I went years without and got lucky until I didn’t. I first lost fish to Velvet which happens fast and then ICH. I have quarantined and medicated with copper with 100% success and I also did Hypo on my 1100 gallon display recently which right now seams to have worked also. I think I prefer the hypo but it won’t kill Velvet so you really have to watch close and be ready to add copper if symptoms appear . Good thing is hypo does kill flukes.
I also ended up crashing my tank once hence I’m quarantining now. Do I really need to keep fish in there for so long despite giving them a full three doses according to the Ich medicine (Petco Brand - Imagitarium Parasite Remedy )
This is the medicine I used. I also used API general cure powder twice which was its dosage. The fish seem to be good, I did loose one fish in the beginning but currently they seem fine. Can you please explain the hypo. I currently run my QT at 1.019 because I heard that’s good. I was also told to run my DT around 1.020? I don’t have corals currently. I plan on putting my fish into the DT and then cycling my tank.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv is for managing ich thats already int the tank to the point that it hopefully doesn’t break out big. With proper QT you can hopefully avoid getting ich to begin with.
Many people can have fish and ich in their system with UV with few losses. Some fish will be bigger risk than others. I would still prefer not to have it at all
I would also not risk it as I already had one tank crash. I was wondering if I could get a drop in UV as an additional safety step just in case I miss something in quarantine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back