First Time Salt Water Tank.....

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is not too soon to start my New Tank Build Thread.. As I have a ways to go to have anything to show for it….

So I have always liked the look of saltwater reef aquariums. Always wanted to set one up, but always seem to find a reason to keep putting it off. Well I have finally taken the leap to start the build. Like most things in life now days it is hurry up and wait process.

This is what I have so far….:(
IMG_7653.JPG

That’s right an empty space that is waiting on the tank to arrive. What is this tank you all ask? It is a 200 gal with a ghost over flow. 60 x 30 x 25.

So what I have so far it a hand full of receipts to remind me what is coming. :)

So far I have got the tank in the works along with the metal stand and cabinet to cover the stand. I had gone to a lot of LFS and came across Mike over at Aquarium Design Group. He went out of his way to help me with a tank I was looking for all with a (cross my fingers) delivery date of 10/19/2016.

For the sump I made the call to Jeff at Lifereef. Now for anyone that has never called and talked to Jeff let me say wow. He took the time to call and ask about what my plans were and once I explained I was new and was on over load with all the sites and options to choose from he helped and offered ideas in the direction, I think I was heading. End up with the LF1-300S system with a 24 x 14 x 18 LifeReef Reefugium. I went with his new Lifereef sump Signature Series line. I was able to get my hands on some secretly obtained via devious methods pictures.:cool:

Now once he starts my build I will be able to post the real deal.. for now this is the new colors he is going with.
DSCN1858.JPG

DSCN1861 (1).JPG

DSCN1862.JPG

DSCN1864.JPG

Now on to the rest of the story. What about Lights? What about controllers? What about What about…

I look forward to asking a ton of questions and I am sure with all the great talent in this community I will get some great insight on what is working and what is not.

What I have so far….o_O

200 gal Tank
LF1-300S Sump
BlueLine 70 upsize pump
SVS3-30/Mag18 Protein Skimmer
2x 3.5" diameter filter cylinders
Bio-Reactor
MagDrive 9.5 to run cyl/bio
24" LifeReefugium (x 14 x 18)
LCR2 Calcium Reactor
Media
Gage set
CO2 tank, 5#
Quick-Disconnects
pH probe holder

I am open to ideas.

clear[1].png

clear[1].png

clear[1].png

Last edited:

SaleenCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you just joined R2R recently...welcome home!!! Sounds like this is going to be a very nice build!!! I know you have to be excited. Feel free to ask any questions...plenty of very helpful and experienced folks here!!!!!

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shopping continues just ordered 150# rock from MacroRocks. Looking at lights now, the tank will have a canopy on it 16” in height. I am also looking at the Apex controller. Anyone have thoughts in that area?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is to take your time... It took me over a year to get all of the parts I wanted in my tank, hit up every sale I could find. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome setup. I like Radions for lighting. The G.4 has a wide diffusion lenses on it to spread the light better. I have G.3 Pros with a mix of wide angle and TIR lenses on mine right now. There are many lights depending on your preference and budget.

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Welcome to R2R! You going to need a lot more power on that wall :p
Ok so when you say a lot more power. How much are you looking at at ? I put in the two on the wall each one is on 20amp breaker. Need to redo? Or add more ?

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is to take your time... It took me over a year to get all of the parts I wanted in my tank, hit up every sale I could find. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome setup. I like Radions for lighting. The G.4 has a wide diffusion lenses on it to spread the light better. I have G.3 Pros with a mix of wide angle and TIR lenses on mine right now. There are many lights depending on your preference and budget.
I have looked at the G4 also just wanted to make sure before I go n any one direction. Do I need to mix it up with T5 or Led only ??

LParker480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah you're going to need a lot more outlets. and I'd go with adding GFCI's. heck of a tank setup for a first-timer. but best of luck to you and welcome!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! That is an incredible setup you are building for someone new to the hobby!

Two thoughts from someone who is new to the hobby also. I just started my first saltwater tank and it is a 120 gallon system, so not quite that big but not exactly small.
First, getting an apex controller is a fantastic idea. In my first 2 weeks I had 2 heater failures and had I had fish in my system my apex would have protected them. The feed modes are great, along with the comfort of being able to check up on the tank from work. Well worth the money. Not to mention that a few EB8 for it will solve your receptacle issue. Two 20 amp breakers is plenty of power, you only need extra receptacles and making them controllable using an apex will make your life easier.
Second, you are getting yours with a lot of bells and whistles. Its fantastic to plan things like reactors into your build. My advice is to hold off trying to use them until your tank tells you that you need to. Don't just fire up your calcium reactor because you have it and can. This site is filled with thread after thread of people who started dosing different things too soon causing all sorts of algae, bacteria and other problems.

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! That is an incredible setup you are building for someone new to the hobby!

Two thoughts from someone who is new to the hobby also. I just started my first saltwater tank and it is a 120 gallon system, so not quite that big but not exactly small.
First, getting an apex controller is a fantastic idea. In my first 2 weeks I had 2 heater failures and had I had fish in my system my apex would have protected them. The feed modes are great, along with the comfort of being able to check up on the tank from work. Well worth the money. Not to mention that a few EB8 for it will solve your receptacle issue. Two 20 amp breakers is plenty of power, you only need extra receptacles and making them controllable using an apex will make your life easier.
Second, you are getting yours with a lot of bells and whistles. Its fantastic to plan things like reactors into your build. My advice is to hold off trying to use them until your tank tells you that you need to. Don't just fire up your calcium reactor because you have it and can. This site is filled with thread after thread of people who started dosing different things too soon causing all sorts of algae, bacteria and other problems.
Brew thank you for the info. I look forward to all the advice I can get. I tried to think ahead when getting items for the tank. I figured if I am going to need it somewhere down the line might as well get it now.

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah you're going to need a lot more outlets. and I'd go with adding GFCI's. heck of a tank setup for a first-timer. but best of luck to you and welcome!
Thanks, I went back and forth on tank sizes so many times. The one thing I want not to do was get one and then look back and go uggg wished I would have gone larger.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at the G4 also just wanted to make sure before I go n any one direction. Do I need to mix it up with T5 or Led only ??
You can if you think you are getting to much shadowing. I'm using an Aquaticlife Quad T5HO with my Radions G.3 Pros w/ wide angle lenses to get better spectrum blending and to eliminate shadowing. You may not need with the light coverage of the G.4. I'd try the G.4 first to see how you like the spread and then add T5s if you feel you need better coverage. There are allot of sales of G.3 Pros that you could put wide angle lenses on and add T5s like I have. JMO

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Got some of the rock in today from MarcoRocks still waiting on the Prime cut and rubble to arrive. Now for the tricky part of putting the entire puzzle pieces together. Now where did I put that box top that shows what all of this is supposed to look like…:confused:
65BE33BD-.jpg

35970C93-.jpg

OP
OP
Xathron

Xathron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great... I'm loving the LifeReef sump... I just ordered one myself.
I agree with you. I looked at a lot of different sump options and went with Jeff at Lifereef . I really look forward to the fluorescent green and black combo he is working on now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back