First Timer Innovative Marine Fusion 15

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I pulled the trigger on the Innovative Marine Fusion 15 back in October. The tank got delivered and naturally, life got crazy. Finally coming back around to it and getting things up and running. This is my first build from the ground up. I inherited a 55 gallon tank from a friend about 4 months ago. I caught the bug bad and decided that a small nano tank could be fun. So, here we go with it!

I've been playing with aqua scaping the last few days. The image is what I think I'm going to roll with. It allows about an inch around the whole tank though it doesn't really look like it in the image.

Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 15
Lighting: Noopsyche K7 Mini
Flow: Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5
Filtration: Filter Floss, Carbon, GFO in the Custom Caddy
Heater: Hygger 100w Titanium Heater with Controller
Water: 4 Stage RO/DI
Salt: Instant Ocean
Sand: Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
Rock: Caribsea LifeRock Nano Kit
ATO: Haven't decided yet. I was thinking about the XP Aqua Duetto, AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite, MagTool Optical ATO. We'll see. I work from home, so adding water isn't crazy inconvenient... yet... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I'm planning on keeping a pair of clownfish, maybe a tailspot blenny, maybe a royal gamma, but I'm planning on tanking adding critters slowly. Sticking with LPS corals mainly and a few zoas. And *maybe* an anemone at some point in the future.

Sláinte!

scape.jpg

OP
OP
E

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the sand has settled, but there seems to be lots of microbubbles hanging around. Is this typical so early after adding water for the first time? Am I safe in assuming these will go away with time?

Cheers!

EDIT: I think I figured out what was causing the microbubbles. I think I had my water level in the 3rd chamber a little but too low. The cascade was causing small bubbles on the surface and I assume those were getting sucked into the return pump.

clearMicrobubbles.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set mine up this morning.
Sweet! I dig the scape.

Mine is currently in the middle of cycling. I'm using Dr. Tim's fishless. It's taking FOREVER. I'm on day 9 and still have a 2ppm of ammonia from the second addition. It's coming down, and Nitrites are going, up just super slowly. After doing some research, apparently, it's not super uncommon for this to occur with Dr. Tim's. So, at the moment, I'm just sitting here patiently waiting.

I've been tweaking the flow a bit. I'm using the Sicce 1.5 and at full power it was blowing the sand off the front glass and causing a ridge about a quarter of the way though the tank. I've lowered the flow and adjusted the nozzle. Seems to be working ok at the moment. We'll see after I get some corals in there how things are looking.

OP
OP
E

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got fed up with topping off manually hahaha. And still waiting for the cycle to complete. Still have a bunch of ammonia in the water. Plus, I added another rock up front.

Patience is not a virtue that I have an abundance of. I'm wanting to throw fish and corals in this thing already!

20221214_193710.jpg

OP
OP
E

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update: Ammonia finally made it to zero, but nitrites have been sitting at 1ppm for quite some time. Nitrates have been sitting at 40ppm as well.

Debating on doing a water change and adding a little bit more ammonia to see if it will be gone in 24hrs. But, I might let it go for another little while and see if the nitrites come down on their own. I also bumped the temp up to 80F as I've heard this can help speed up the process slightly.

Still trying to be patient but still feeling like I'm missing something lol.

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia processed, then, adding more will process as well. If you’re going to add more just to check, you might want to wait for your water change until after it. But, I’d water change and plan for livestock. At least 1 fish.

OP
OP
E

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia processed, then, adding more will process as well. If you’re going to add more just to check, you might want to wait for your water change until after it. But, I’d water change and plan for livestock. At least 1 fish.
Just jump right in, eh? Appreciate the advice! I'm going to give it a few more days to see if the nitrites come down some (I've been reading on the debate between nitrites being toxic in saltwater or not. Leaning on the side of caution at the moment.), then I'll see if I can't get a fish and a small CUC in the tank.

OP
OP
E

Exodusjpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. its been a few months since this thing was cycled (and I kept it cycled by adding more ammonia occasionally). Unfortunately, things got a little bit crazy in my life and I had to put stocking this thing on hold. I'm now in a place where I think I can start moving forward again.

Alas, the tank now has a few inhabitants, a purple firefish and a clownfish along with a few trochus snails.

I did end up putting a Mini Q skimmer in the second chamber. And I'll start adding corals as finances permit.

Off we go!

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That scape is very cool. I’m really enjoying all the unique scapes.

Back