Firthy's CADE 1500 from downunder

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been in the fish game for 15 years, keeping everything from goldfish to breeding discus. I sold up all my freshwater gear during my last house move, about 5 years ago. I have been procrastinating about a mini dream build ever since, as i know i could never actually fund the real thing.

My first taste of salt water was this 8gal nano which had nothing but a hang on filter and relied solely on weekly 50% water changes. it was relatively successful, other then have to replace fish every 4-6 weeks due to an ever illusive mantis shrimp.
IMG_7111.JPG

So after a little renovation, i finally have a perfect spot to start this build. Please ignore that sad looking house plant. I really hope i'm better at looking after things that live in water rather the dirt.

1585946798534.png

I would love to have this tank as 100% sps, but i feel that is something i will probably work up to. I think a mixed reef with a few stags, birdnests and montis will be a more realistic initial goal. I'm am not one to overly complicate things either, i would like to run this tank with a somewhat simple philosophy, with a few pieces of nice equipment that will provide a bit of redundancy and piece of mind.

I will update fairly frequently. So follow along and all advice is more then welcome, i'm going to need it.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think this a fine plan and we definitely need to see pix of the tank sooner than later.
Forget the house plant, get the tank running!!

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is in, took 4 of us to carry the tank in. The glass alone was almost 240kg (540lb). This 5ft CADE is 15mm low iron glass, with a stand comprising of an aluminium frame and glass doors. Total water volume is around 640L (170gal). The weir and ATO reservoir are hidden in the back of the DT .

1586086026493.png

1586086099370.png

The first thing i did once i got the tank in was level it, was very easy with the 8 adjustable feet installed in to the base of the aluminium frame.
Next was to get some lighting over the sump. I found the perfect length strip light at my local hardware store. it goes right the way around the inside of the sump section of the stand.
1586086455569.png

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make the sump look a little cleaner, i decided to pull it out and put some white sign writing vinyl on the back, side and base. It was quite an awkward task doing it alone. But i managed and didn't break anything. I think it looks much better.

1586295685945.png

1586295710244.png

I have also ordered the first lot of my equipment, hopefully that will be here in a day or two:D

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my gear has arrived. I decided to stick with Ecotech for all things water movement as their battery back up is tried and tested, easily modified for large battery capacities and my OCD hates power cords in the DT. I have gone with the Australian designed skimmer from Dalua the GW-12. They have a range of 2 AC pump and 4 DC pump skimmers and are going to be available in the US shortly i believe. More gear is on its way, but in the mean time here is the standard photo of a young child or family pet inside the empty display tank:rolleyes:
1586469119165.png

1586469162934.png

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acquired all the bits and pieces to finish my water change station.
First i made a small stand that would easily fit a large bucket under the outlet valve for each tank. Here in Australia, we have a very limited choice of water tanks compared to what is available in the US so i went with 100L rain water tanks.
I plumbed in some taps to make access to small amounts of water easy as well as used quick connect fitting to easily attach a hose to fill and drain the tank.
I used a aquamedic DC runner 2.2 pump, which i am very happy with, speed adjustable and has more then enough flow to complete a waterchange from start to finish in under 10 minutes.
i mounted my RO unit on the wall and ran a line to both tank and also ran one inside to the ATO reservoir so i do not have to lug bucket around to top it up when it runs low.
I also utilized the AutoAqua Auto Shut Off Valve to protect me from overfilling the tanks. uses an optical sensor mounted to the tank and closes a solenoid between the carbon filter and the membrane on the ro unit. I have trialed it several times and the sensor is very reliable, but time will tell i guess. I am terrible at taking before photos. ill add more at another time.
1586758492372.png

1586758568353.png

1586758524038.png

1586758543211.png

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your new setup! I saw the Cade tanks for the first time at Reefstock and they look super nice.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and purchased my dry rock today. After weeks of debating what way to go, i finally decided on Caribsea Life rock. Im really happy with the colour and pieces i got. i went with a box of standard base rock and 2 boxes of shapes and a box of shelf.
My goal with the scape is to keep as much of the rock off the base of the tank as i can while still feel comfortable enough that it is well supported. I'm going for lots of arches, swim-thoughs and caves.
here are a few of my early attempts.
1587175755059.png

1587175785839.png

I felt i kept ending up with nothing more then a fancy rockwall. I walked away for a few days and had another attempt. this is what i came up with

1587180466727.png

1587180484058.png

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For stocking I'm thinking:
Pair of ocellaris clowns
Royal gramma
5 azure damsels
Whitetail bristletooth tang
Yellow tang
Lavender tang
Pair of watanabei angelfish
Naoko wrasse
Labout's fairy wrasse

That's my preliminary list anyways. Would love to sub a powder blue in for the lavender but they are such a**holes and ICH magnets, not sure if they are worth the risk. Any suggestions welcome.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day from Australia! I really like Cade tanks it was a hard choice between the reefer and Cade, I went with the cheaper reefer and put more money on hardware. Get some water in there mate!

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For stocking I'm thinking:
Pair of ocellaris clowns
Royal gramma
5 azure damsels
Whitetail bristletooth tang
Yellow tang
Lavender tang
Pair of watanabei angelfish
Naoko wrasse
Labout's fairy wrasse

That's my preliminary list anyways. Would love to sub a powder blue in for the lavender but they are such a**holes and ICH magnets, not sure if they are worth the risk. Any suggestions welcome.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a rabbitfish to the mix. They eat ALOT more algae and alot of different algae's than Tangs will.
I like the Doliatus Rabbitfish which is conveniently a native of Australia. They're kinda short on personality, but they look beautiful when the lines come in and they earn their keep by keeping the tank clean.
By short on personality I mean they're boring and not a particularly intelligent fish, but they arent very aggressive either.

Good looking build, looking forward to your updates.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a rabbitfish to the mix. They eat ALOT more algae and alot of different algae's than Tangs will.
I like the Doliatus Rabbitfish which is conveniently a native of Australia. They're kinda short on personality, but they look beautiful when the lines come in and they earn their keep by keeping the tank clean.
By short on personality I mean they're boring and not a particularly intelligent fish, but they arent very aggressive either.

Good looking build, looking forward to your updates.
Thanks Maxx, that is a good suggestion. I didn't think about rabbitfish at all. I do like the doliatus, great pattern when adults.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back