Fish Aggression

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen or heard of this in my short fish life. I’ve got a Niger Trigger like 3”. Notice him being standoffish and hiding under a rock on yesterday. Didn’t even come out to eat. So I said I’ll deal with it today. Couldn’t find him, so I start moving rocks and he comes out. Immediately my 1” Picasso aims right for the nigers tail which I notice has some discoloration. Then my blue hippo which is about 3 1/2” start trying to nip and now my sailfin is doing the same. Any idea about what’s going on? I’m setting up my 10G now to put the Niger in.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need a bit more real estate sooner as opposed to later. 75 gallons is a bit on the light side for several 3-4" fish.
I didn’t ask whether I needed more real estate. That has nothing to do with my question. Don’t just assume people aren’t upgrading. I could have a bigger tank being set up right now.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t ask whether I needed more real estate. That has nothing to do with my question. Don’t just assume people aren’t upgrading. I could have a bigger tank being set up right now.
Your question was "Any idea about what’s going on?", to which I inquired about tank size. Based on the size of your current tank, you may have just reached the tipping point with several other similar-sized fish (it could also be something else). I'm not assuming you're upgrading any more than I'm assuming you're not - it was merely an observation.

Either fish don't get along from the outset or something changes. You haven't listed your water parameters but I'll assume they're normal or at least within acceptable ranges, and you also didn't indicate that you'd added any new fish recently (which I'll assume you haven't) - which just leaves the fish getting bigger and finally deciding that "there's not room enough for all of us". Anyway, best of luck.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question was "Any idea about what’s going on?", to which I inquired about tank size. Based on the size of your current tank, you may have just reached the tipping point with several other similar-sized fish (it could also be something else). I'm not assuming you're upgrading any more than I'm assuming you're not - it was merely an observation.

Either fish don't get along from the outset or something changes. You haven't listed your water parameters but I'll assume they're normal or at least within acceptable ranges, and you also didn't indicate that you'd added any new fish recently (which I'll assume you haven't) - which just leaves the fish getting bigger and finally deciding that "there's not room enough for all of us". Anyway, best of luck.
I’m looking for fish behavior. I’ve seen clownfish/damsels do this in a fish store in a tank that’s too many times too big, but not multiple different fish from different species on what seems to be an injured fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back