Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm now I have a decision to make because copper is stable and still on the rise to therapeutic levels my yellow wrasses hates not having sand but is also the dominant of the QT so I wasn’t to worried but I do hate seeing my fish stressed
Sometimes they ignore the sand any way. I have only QT'd a few wrasses. They would often hide in a small diameter piece of PVC pipe connector piece.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm now I have a decision to make because copper is stable and still on the rise to therapeutic levels my yellow wrasses hates not having sand but is also the dominant of the QT so I wasn’t to worried but I do hate seeing my fish stressed
I believe the general consensus is a small bowl of sand doesn't hurt, as long as you test frequently. I have a bowl of sand for my melanarus and plan on treating with Copper Safe. Think I need to remove the engineer goby and do TTM for him though.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my python hose to empty my QT with cupramine by Seachem. I know. But it was it was an emergency. Is my my hose now ruined for regular use? I think it is. :( I ran 10 gallons of cupramine water thru it. The normal clear tube was changed to a small diameter piece of PVC.
anybody got any ideas on this?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody got any ideas on this?
Was it just used to empty it? Was it flushed after emptying the tank? Absorption would take time I think. Please note, this is my opinion so don't treat it as fact. I'd flush the hose and reuse it. Run a mix of 50/50 water/vinegar through it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 quarantine tank and I am bringing in a lot of fish that I saved. I am wandering the best quarantine practice I should use. The fish are as follows. zebra eels, marine betta, yellow tang, Vrolik's Wrasse, Pakistan Butterflyfish, Fu Manchu Lionfish,Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish. All fish are small under 3 inches with the exception of the eel. It is around a foot. I have Prazipro, Coppersafe, Cupramine, Rid Ich plus, Furan-2, General cure, Metroplex, Kanaplex. I would like to use just the one tank. I know some of these fish are not compatible with some of these medicens, I would like the best solution as these fish are coming from a not so good looking tank. I am also looking for a vet that will write me a script for CP but have be unsuccessful with the first vet I went to.

Thanks in advance
I think CP is the best option to treat that diverse batch.

I used my python hose to empty my QT with cupramine by Seachem. I know. But it was it was an emergency. Is my my hose now ruined for regular use? I think it is. :( I ran 10 gallons of cupramine water thru it. The normal clear tube was changed to a small diameter piece of PVC.
Nope, not ruined.

Was it just used to empty it? Was it flushed after emptying the tank? Absorption would take time I think. Please note, this is my opinion so don't treat it as fact. I'd flush the hose and reuse it. Run a mix of 50/50 water/vinegar through it.
Completely agree with this. I reuse hosing between my copper QT and my DT and some of it is silicone. I let it sit in a 50/50 vinegar mix in a bucket overnight and then rinse a lot of tap water through it. Then I let it air dry for a few days to make sure no parasites come along for a ride.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew12 I know the cp will kill the wrasse though. Would any of what I have on hand work? The CP is seeming to be trouble for me to get.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew12 I know the cp will kill the wrasse though. Would any of what I have on hand work? The CP is seeming to be trouble for me to get.
It may kill the wrasse. The problem is the copper will likely kill the eels and lionfish. You just don't have a good single treatment option.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may kill the wrasse. The problem is the copper will likely kill the eels and lionfish. You just don't have a good single treatment option.
If I could find a place for the wrasse, the CP would be safe for everything else, Correct? Also do you know where I could get CP other then a vet. I went to another vet today to try and get CP and they wouldn't write me a script either.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could find a place for the wrasse, the CP would be safe for everything else, Correct? Also do you know where I could get CP other then a vet. I went to another vet today to try and get CP and they wouldn't write me a script either.
You can order it on ebay, but the quality is far from assured. It "might" be the correct stuff at the correct strength but since we can't test for it there is no way to know for sure.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order it on ebay, but the quality is far from assured. It "might" be the correct stuff at the correct strength but since we can't test for it there is no way to know for sure.
Would I have any way to know that it worked? I don't see any signs of sickness on them, but I don't trust them in my DT.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I have any way to know that it worked? I don't see any signs of sickness on them, but I don't trust them in my DT.
Nope, that is always the down side. You don't know if the parasites are eradicated or the fishes immune system is suppressing them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I guess ill try another vet. Thanks
There is one other option.

You could pick up a black molly and put it in with your other fish when done with the QT treatment. If you still have ich or velvet it will be very obvious when you add the molly.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think I found an MD that will write me a script. A local guy told me about him and how he did it for him.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I have now treated the following wrasse with CP 40mg/gal to 50mg/gal dose for 30 days
Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse x 2
Clown Fairy Wrasse
Pintail Fairy Wrasse

@Humblefish @Brew12 @melypr1985
Excellent!

Just to make sure, did you use stuff you ordered over the internet or did you have a prescription?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back