Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

1. zed102

zed102 Active Member

Yes, that is my preferred treatment for them. I have done it successfully.

2. Larry Linne

Larry Linne Mt.Reefer Partner Member 2018

Mel, I cannot open this. It says page not found when I try. Can you look into it?

3. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

Looking into it

Larry Linne likes this.
  4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

All of the articles went down last night... looks like it is working now.

Larry Linne and Humblefish like this.
  5. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Active Member R2R Supporter Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

This chart is super useful!! A big thank you to the OP for posting it and all of the great information in this thread.

I have successfully treated both angels and tangs with coppersafe in qt. before, but I have always been super scared to put wrasse through a proper qt protocol. I have skipped qt with them in the past, but I will not do this moving forward.

Humblefish likes this.
  6. Renee180

Renee180 Member

Isn't coppersafe the one I should use unstead of CP? I was under the impression they are two different medicines?

7. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

The treatments fall under 3 main categories. Ionic Copper (Cupramine), Chelated Copper (Coppersafe, Copperaid), and Chloroquin Phosphate which we abbreviate as CP. It is not a copper product.

Humblefish likes this.
  8. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

For a melanurus wrasse -- is it recommended to use CopperSafe and a bowl of sand? I am not sure the final advice on substrate / copper and wrasses. TIA

9. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

Yes - use a Pyrex bowl because glass does not absorb (but plastic will).

10. ediner198

ediner198 Member

[​IMG]
    Hey started my tank of 8 months back up protien skimmer stopped working but have a reef octopus coming in my issue is I bought a few fish from a wholesaler amazing guy beuitif place I qt the fish for a little over 6 weeks noene had no signs of ick or velvet by the 3rd the clown and ****** triggers are showing spots but are still very active and strong [​IMG]love them but I am using the kordon copper aid 16fl ounces and the blue trigger waks up with it and by mid day lots spots are gone the clown trigger is also eating is getting him should I dosed again and how long b4 it all goes away

11. ediner198

ediner198 Member

12. ediner198

ediner198 Member

How much copper to remote ick in my dt

13. Radman73

Radman73 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I've read anecdotal remarks about not using copper on engineer gobies as they are scaleless. Does anyone have experience with this? These remarks are all 6-7 years old though and I'm hoping someone can offer more recent experience. Prefer to avoid TTM and just run copper on one tank. Not a big deal as I can use some 10gal's and do TTM.

14. cody hendrix

cody hendrix Active Member

I only have 1 quarantine tank and I am bringing in a lot of fish that I saved. I am wandering the best quarantine practice I should use. The fish are as follows. zebra eels, marine betta, yellow tang, Vrolik's Wrasse, Pakistan Butterflyfish, Fu Manchu Lionfish,Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish. All fish are small under 3 inches with the exception of the eel. It is around a foot. I have Prazipro, Coppersafe, Cupramine, Rid Ich plus, Furan-2, General cure, Metroplex, Kanaplex. I would like to use just the one tank. I know some of these fish are not compatible with some of these medicens, I would like the best solution as these fish are coming from a not so good looking tank. I am also looking for a vet that will write me a script for CP but have be unsuccessful with the first vet I went to.

Thanks in advance

15. Victoria M

Victoria M Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I used my python hose to empty my QT with cupramine by Seachem. I know. But it was it was an emergency. Is my my hose now ruined for regular use? I think it is. :( I ran 10 gallons of cupramine water thru it. The normal clear tube was changed to a small diameter piece of PVC.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. Victoria M

I may have answered my questions. I think the python hose is silicone. but what about the green plastic parts. more research...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    NowGlazeIT likes this.
  17. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for posting!that’s a good question. I didn’t think about it yet because I’m just starting copper treatment for the first time and that’s a relief

18. NowGlazeIT

I didn’t know I could use sand during copper treatment I thought this was advised against because copper gets absorbed

19. Victoria M

You have to measure copper daily because because the sand can change to amount of copper in the water depending how much the sand binds, and you have to discard the sand when you are done with the copper part of the treatment process.

20. NowGlazeIT

Hmmm now I have a decision to make because copper is stable and still on the rise to therapeutic levels my yellow wrasses hates not having sand but is also the dominant of the QT so I wasn’t to worried but I do hate seeing my fish stressed

Draft saved Draft deleted