Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why I can't keep a flasher fish alive in chelated copper. I would like to make sure I treat for velvet and afraid to put a fish in my dt that has not had the proper treatment. My dt has 2 weeks left of fallow but not synchronized with my copper in aq since I had a splurge and replaced my dead wrasses with a yellow watchman goby and a cleaner goby. I hope my tang will be ok in copper for 6 weeks total though his appetite just seems to get bigger each week even in copper. love my purple tang :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why I can't keep a flasher fish alive in chelated copper. I would like to make sure I treat for velvet and afraid to put a fish in my dt that has not had the proper treatment. My dt has 2 weeks left of fallow but not synchronized with my copper in aq since I had a splurge and replaced my dead wrasses with a yellow watchman goby and a cleaner goby. I hope my tang will be ok in copper for 6 weeks total though his appetite just seems to get bigger each week even in copper. love my purple tang :)

Wrasses are notoriously sensitive to most meds. Being they are intolerant of CP, copper becomes your only option for treating a wrasse with velvet. Whether to use chelated or ionic copper on a wrasse is debatable, but it is generally agreed upon to take 5-7 days (or longer) to slowly raise the Cu level to therapeutic when treating a wrasse.

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been covered, but I don't see blennies on the lists? What is best to treat them?

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been covered, but I don't see blennies on the lists? What is best to treat them?
I have one success each with a starry blenny, molly miller blenny, and a tailspot blenny using chloroquine if that helps. In either case there were no observed ill affects.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one success each with a starry blenny, molly miller blenny, and a tailspot blenny using chloroquine if that helps. In either case there were no observed ill affects.

+1 Blennies do fine with CP, but tolerate copper as well.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just wanted to report a potential problem with yellow longnose butterfly and CP. Dosed only 10 mg/gal of CP yesterday in QT for a YLNB who was vigorously eating and seeming quite content. Came home today to find him acting shy, hiding in PVC in QT unlike his usual outgoing behavior. I added some carbon to remove the CP just out of paranoia. Came home late tonight to find him deceased. No signs of ich or any other problems. He had already been through two rounds of PP :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to report a potential problem with yellow longnose butterfly and CP. Dosed only 10 mg/gal of CP yesterday in QT for a YLNB who was vigorously eating and seeming quite content. Came home today to find him acting shy, hiding in PVC in QT unlike his usual outgoing behavior. I added some carbon to remove the CP just out of paranoia. Came home late tonight to find him deceased. No signs of ich or any other problems. He had already been through two rounds of PP :(

I've successfully ran multiple LNB thru CP @ 40mg/gal & 60mg/gal concentrations.

Dosing 10 mg/gal would have had no therapeutic benefit. Minimum therapeutic dosage for CP is 40 mg/gal.

Is it possible he had velvet or some other disease in his gills? Was he breathing heavy just prior to death? Reclusiveness is a behavioral symptom of velvet.

Where did you source your CP from?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Humblefish, I was attempting to slowly up the dose. I'm a bit paranoid about dosing drugs and fish being sensitive. The CP was obtained from my vet and beside acting reclusive the fish wasn't swimming into the stream of water from the powerhead and I didn't notice any white spots. He was breathing heavy and laying on the ground when I found him. I tried to help him keep water flowing across his gills, but he died a short time after. I did notice some small red spots on his side that I didn't see earlier yesterday, could it be possible he had a gram negative bacterial infection?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice some small red spots on his side that I didn't see earlier yesterday, could it be possible he had a gram negative bacterial infection?

If you noticed the red spots postmortem, rigor mortis is more likely to blame. Beneficial bacteria will also quickly eat away at a dead fish.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, yesterday I made the mistake of forgetting to consult this chart before using CP on a group on Anthias. Overnight it killed all of them. :( On the scale of 1-5 used by this chart I think I would consider them a 10. I have used CP on both a hippo and quoyi parrotfish in the past without anywhere close to the same reaction. They didn’t thrive in it, but survived. Lesson learned.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, yesterday I made the mistake of forgetting to consult this chart before using CP on a group on Anthias. Overnight it killed all of them. :( On the scale of 1-5 used by this chart I think I would consider them a 10. I have used CP on both a hippo and quoyi parrotfish in the past without anywhere close to the same reaction. They didn’t thrive in it, but survived. Lesson learned.
:(

It seems like Anthias should be so easy to get through QT but they are the fish I have struggled with the most.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how Lyretail Hogfish are with copper? Also is it normal for fish to continue to lose weight even know they are eating a lot, with ick?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how Lyretail Hogfish are with copper? Also is it normal for fish to continue to lose weight even know they are eating a lot, with ick?
I believe hogfish tolerate copper well. I am no expert but I believe weight loss from ich is due to loss of appetite. If the fish is eating a lot and losing weight, it likely has internal parasites imo. Are you sure the fish has ich? If not, I would treat the fish for internal parasites and then observe.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I believe hogfish tolerate copper well. I am no expert but I believe weight loss from ich is due to loss of appetite. If the fish is eating a lot and losing weight, it likely has internal parasites imo. Are you sure the fish has ich? If not, I would treat the fish for internal parasites and then observe.
I can see the white spots that are normally accociated with ick. The hog just continues to get skinnyer dispite eating plenty daily.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't seen any stringy white poop. What would you guys treat for. Now I'm kinda at a loss

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can see the white spots, then treating with copper (I use chelated copper - Coppersafe - and an API test kit to make sure I'm working at therapeutic levels of the stuff) is probably the place to start. You can mix Metroplex/Focus into his food at the same time, if you'd like, to work on any possibility of internal parasites. The Metroplex/Focus/Food mix can be used in your display, but the copper will obviously have to be used in a quarantine tank.

~Bruce

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back