Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank had been up a month before the new chromis were added. I've got a Seneye and it never registered ammonia above 0.001 ppm.

Considering that I've exposed all my fish, can I treat the whole tank?

Thanks for your help!

You can feed the metroplex+focus to all the fish. Intestinal worms are spread by a healthy fish eating an infected fish's poop. Believe it or not, all fish eat each other's poop;Vomit. It's totally disgusting, but hey... they are fish:rolleyes:.

codyvlc.vm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed the metroplex+focus to all the fish. Intestinal worms are spread by a healthy fish eating an infected fish's poop. Believe it or not, all fish eat each other's poop;Vomit. It's totally disgusting, but hey... they are fish:rolleyes:.
Cool. What ratio do I use for metro+focus to food? How long do I soak it? I plan to use frozen mysis; that's the only thing my scooter will eat.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. What ratio do I use for metro+focus to food? How long do I soak it? I plan to use frozen mysis; that's the only thing my scooter will eat.
I believe the packaging for both products explain how to use concurrently (as that's what they were designed for). If I remembered it off hand I would let you know!

I want to say it was a ratio if 5:1 but I cannot recall for sure

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a helpful chart. I recommend bookmarking. ;)

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The following chart is a quick reference guide on what QT protocol should be used according to which type of fish you are running through QT. It will give you an idea of which methods are generally safest with certain species but is not meant to be absolute in most cases. All fish are individuals and can and will react differently than the norm to certain medications or situations. Just because most tangs do well in copper doesn’t mean that every tang will do well. The chart is numbered in levels of tolerance/ease with each method according to the general experience of several knowledgeable people including myself, @4FordFamily, @Humblefish, @eatbreakfast, @evolved and @Brew12. I thank each of them for their input and help in putting this whole thing together. You will also find helpful advice and tips for QT’ing many of the fish in this chart that are deemed more difficult.

Fish and Treatment Table part1.jpg
Fish and Treatment Table part2.jpg
Fish and Treatment Table part3.jpg

** Angels have been found to be even more sensitive to ammonia poisoning than most other fish so more care should be taken to keep ammonia absolutely absent from the tanks during tank transfer method. This is why they are marked with an elevated risk level with TTM. With copper (both kinds) most angels have been found to be relatively resilient in it provided the copper levels are slowly raised over the course of 4 or 5 days. Taking longer never hurts as long as velvet is not suspected.

** The marked wrasse in this section have been found to be tolerant of these copper products provided the levels are carefully risen to therapeutic levels over the course of 4-10 days. Watching carefully for tolerance issues since all fish are individuals and may react differently than the norm. No wrasses should be treated with CP until more testing can be done to understand why they seem to do so poorly.

** Wrasse in general should be allowed to settle and start eating for several days before copper treatment is started. While they can handle copper, it’s best to give them the time before hand for maximum chance of survival. If a wrasse has an injury or infection before going into QT, that “settling time” should be extended until the injury or infection has healed completely before starting copper. Provide a small glass dish of sand for the wrasse that bury at night to help keep them comfortable while in QT.

Rsaalman.JPG

Photo by R2R member @Rsaalman

** The harlequin tusk seems to be tolerant of all coppers but care must be taken with how quickly the levels are raised. Take 4-5 days to raise copper up to therapeutic levels and watch for tolerance issues

** I have kept lionfish in copper for long periods before without issue, but it's tricky to get them eating and keep them eating. Also, not all the lions attempted lasted in the copper. It seems that 2 out of 5 would do ok and the rest would perish rather quickly.

** I have kept puffers in copper for periods of time as well, but it was chelated copper and it was risky. They refused to eat for up to 2 weeks and had to be enticed using live foods and whole gulf cost shrimp. I didn't have the luxury of raising the levels slowly, so if it's absolutely needed to treat a puffer with copper, then do so slowly if possible.

**Some Zebrasoma tangs seem to be completely intolerant of copper. This is quickly decided if red blotches, loss of color or the refuse to eat while raising the copper levels. If this happens the fish should be removed into a QT with no copper in it until it resumes eating and it's color has returned. If it happens again after a second try in copper, another QT method should be used if possible.

If you have any questions on an individual species not listed here, please ask. Also, never be afraid to create a thread in the disease forum with QT questions as well.

d_adler.jpg

photo by R2R member @d_adler

@melypr1985 any chance you can add to your original post the definition of the acronyms you use? Like TTM and CP. Also, a column for Hyposalinity?

Just a thought.

thanks for the time and efforts

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 any chance you can add to your original post the definition of the acronyms you use? Like TTM and CP. Also, a column for Hyposalinity?

Just a thought.

thanks for the time and efforts

I can certainly define the acronyms in the first post. Great idea! However, hypo salinity only works on ich and only some of the time so I didn't include it in the chart for that reason.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Meredith, Shaun here over from Ultimate Reef in the UK. Just found this thread and wanted to say thanks to you and your team for compiling it. Great reference.

Just to add from my experience, I have recently treated a Peacock (Splendid Leopard) Wrasse with CP over a 21 day period with no adverse effects other that a reduced eating desire over the first couple of days. After that the wrasse started eating frozen foods without any problems and is now looking very healthy.

Best wishes,

Shaun.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interesting thread - thanks for putting this together.

I have also run several instances of Chloroquine treatment with a variety of fish including Angels, Tangs and numerous wrasse. Typically I run 10-11mg/l chloroquine as an effective treatment dosage, but have had issues above this level. Could you please share the concentration and treatment of Copper and Chloroquine you used in your tests?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interesting thread - thanks for putting this together.

I have also run several instances of Chloroquine treatment with a variety of fish including Angels, Tangs and numerous wrasse. Typically I run 10-11mg/l chloroquine as an effective treatment dosage, but have had issues above this level. Could you please share the concentration and treatment of Copper and Chloroquine you used in your tests?

Ionic copper was run at .5ppm
Chelated copper was run at 2ppm
CP was run between 40mg/gallon and 60 mg/gallon depending on the species and needs to the person running the QT. I tend to go with the high side, personally, and run 60mg/gallon.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ionic copper was run at .5ppm
Chelated copper was run at 2ppm
CP was run between 40mg/gallon and 60 mg/gallon depending on the species and needs to the person running the QT. I tend to go with the high side, personally, and run 60mg/gallon.

Thanks for that. I make 60mg/US gallon just short of 16mg/litre for Chloroquine.

I've run wrasse and others through 10.33mg/l for oodinium and crypto and had much better results . Going north of 15mg/l may certainly explain the wrasse casualties you recorded and concurs with my data when I increased the dosage on wrasse.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run wrasse and others through 10.33mg/l for oodinium and crypto and had much better results . Going north of 15mg/l may certainly explain the wrasse casualties you recorded and concurs with my data when I increased the dosage on wrasse.

This is interesting. When I resume testing, I will treat wrasses at only 10mg/L and see what happens. I only bumped it up to 15mg/L due to concerns over biodegradation.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. When I resume testing, I will treat wrasses at only 10mg/L and see what happens. I only bumped it up to 15mg/L due to concerns over biodegradation.

That's the risk with Chloroquine. There is no way to test for it, so I always treat in one dose. My wrasse casualties were, I believe, down to me redosing after doing a partial water change and of course, not knowing how much CP had degraded (if any at all).

Just to confirm we're comparing apples with apples, my dosing levels are based on Chloroquine base, not Chloroquine Phosphate.

I use 1 x 256mg Avloclor tablet, containing 155mg Chloroquine base per 15 litres (3.96 US gallons) of water. This gives 10.33mg Chloroquine dosing.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, hypo salinity only works on ich and only some of the time so I didn't include it in the chart for that reason.

I don't really understand why TTM is so highly regarded but hyposalinity is downplayed. Both address ich but neither address velvet or brook (as I understand it), and ich seems to be the lesser of the evils. It seems to me that if you really want to eliminate parasites from your DT, and the worst parasites at that, neither TTM nor hypo are adequate. What am I missing?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really understand why TTM is so highly regarded but hyposalinity is downplayed. Both address ich but neither address velvet or brook (as I understand it), and ich seems to be the lesser of the evils. It seems to me that if you really want to eliminate parasites from your DT, and the worst parasites at that, neither TTM nor hypo are adequate. What am I missing?

TTM is highly effective at eradicating ich (when done properly), whereas hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist (study done by Yambot in 2003.) It is also easier to switch gears and dose copper/CP (or other meds) with TTM if needed.

Before the prevalence of velvet, TTM was my "go to" QT protocol for my personal collection of fish. In just 13 days I could crank out an ich-free, flukes-free (because Prazipro can be used in conjunction with TTM) fish that just needed 2 weeks of additional observation for velvet, infection, etc. This velvet craze has to pass sooner or later, and the "good ol' days" will be here again.
;)

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. How prevalent are hypo-resistant ich strains or does anybody know? I ask because TTM isn't really feasible for me. I use GC and CP or copper (copper when CP isn't recommended), but if I decided to go with no medications, I would probably have to use hyposalinity.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the prevalence of velvet, TTM was my "go to" QT protocol for my personal collection of fish. In just 13 days I could crank out an ich-free, flukes-free (because Prazipro can be used in conjunction with TTM) fish that just needed 2 weeks of additional observation for velvet, infection, etc. This velvet craze has to pass sooner or later, and the "good ol' days" will be here again. ;)
I would just point out that if you are maintaining 2 systems anyway you can treat with copper for 13 days, transfer them to the new tank, treat with Prazi, then observe. Doesn't take much longer than TTM and takes care of Velvet, also.

Back