Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

1. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

You can feed the metroplex+focus to all the fish. Intestinal worms are spread by a healthy fish eating an infected fish's poop. Believe it or not, all fish eat each other's poop;Vomit. It's totally disgusting, but hey... they are fish:rolleyes:.

Brew12 likes this.

2. codyvlc.vm

codyvlc.vm Member

Cool. What ratio do I use for metro+focus to food? How long do I soak it? I plan to use frozen mysis; that's the only thing my scooter will eat.

3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I believe the packaging for both products explain how to use concurrently (as that's what they were designed for). If I remembered it off hand I would let you know!

I want to say it was a ratio if 5:1 but I cannot recall for sure

4. codyvlc.vm

codyvlc.vm Member

No problem! Thank you!

5. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

codyvlc.vm and melypr1985 like this.
  6. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is a helpful chart. I recommend bookmarking. ;)

7. MarsRover

MarsRover Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

@melypr1985 any chance you can add to your original post the definition of the acronyms you use? Like TTM and CP. Also, a column for Hyposalinity?

Just a thought.

thanks for the time and efforts

melypr1985 likes this.
  8. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I can certainly define the acronyms in the first post. Great idea! However, hypo salinity only works on ich and only some of the time so I didn't include it in the chart for that reason.

MarsRover and Humblefish like this.
  9. billw

billw Acroholic in Training R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  10. melypr1985

Humblefish likes this.
  11. ShaunRobinson

ShaunRobinson Well-Known Member

Hi Meredith, Shaun here over from Ultimate Reef in the UK. Just found this thread and wanted to say thanks to you and your team for compiling it. Great reference.

Just to add from my experience, I have recently treated a Peacock (Splendid Leopard) Wrasse with CP over a 21 day period with no adverse effects other that a reduced eating desire over the first couple of days. After that the wrasse started eating frozen foods without any problems and is now looking very healthy.

Best wishes,

Shaun.

12. tastyfish

tastyfish New Member

Really interesting thread - thanks for putting this together.

I have also run several instances of Chloroquine treatment with a variety of fish including Angels, Tangs and numerous wrasse. Typically I run 10-11mg/l chloroquine as an effective treatment dosage, but have had issues above this level. Could you please share the concentration and treatment of Copper and Chloroquine you used in your tests?

melypr1985 likes this.
  13. melypr1985

Ionic copper was run at .5ppm
    Chelated copper was run at 2ppm
    CP was run between 40mg/gallon and 60 mg/gallon depending on the species and needs to the person running the QT. I tend to go with the high side, personally, and run 60mg/gallon.

Humblefish and 4FordFamily like this.
  14. tastyfish

tastyfish New Member

Thanks for that. I make 60mg/US gallon just short of 16mg/litre for Chloroquine.

I've run wrasse and others through 10.33mg/l for oodinium and crypto and had much better results . Going north of 15mg/l may certainly explain the wrasse casualties you recorded and concurs with my data when I increased the dosage on wrasse.

Humblefish likes this.
  15. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is interesting. When I resume testing, I will treat wrasses at only 10mg/L and see what happens. I only bumped it up to 15mg/L due to concerns over biodegradation.

16. tastyfish

tastyfish New Member

That's the risk with Chloroquine. There is no way to test for it, so I always treat in one dose. My wrasse casualties were, I believe, down to me redosing after doing a partial water change and of course, not knowing how much CP had degraded (if any at all).

Just to confirm we're comparing apples with apples, my dosing levels are based on Chloroquine base, not Chloroquine Phosphate.

I use 1 x 256mg Avloclor tablet, containing 155mg Chloroquine base per 15 litres (3.96 US gallons) of water. This gives 10.33mg Chloroquine dosing.

melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  17. Crashjack

Crashjack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I don't really understand why TTM is so highly regarded but hyposalinity is downplayed. Both address ich but neither address velvet or brook (as I understand it), and ich seems to be the lesser of the evils. It seems to me that if you really want to eliminate parasites from your DT, and the worst parasites at that, neither TTM nor hypo are adequate. What am I missing?

18. Humblefish

TTM is highly effective at eradicating ich (when done properly), whereas hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist (study done by Yambot in 2003.) It is also easier to switch gears and dose copper/CP (or other meds) with TTM if needed.

Before the prevalence of velvet, TTM was my "go to" QT protocol for my personal collection of fish. In just 13 days I could crank out an ich-free, flukes-free (because Prazipro can be used in conjunction with TTM) fish that just needed 2 weeks of additional observation for velvet, infection, etc. This velvet craze has to pass sooner or later, and the "good ol' days" will be here again.
    ;)

melypr1985, Empress and Crashjack like this.
  19. Crashjack

Crashjack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Good info. How prevalent are hypo-resistant ich strains or does anybody know? I ask because TTM isn't really feasible for me. I use GC and CP or copper (copper when CP isn't recommended), but if I decided to go with no medications, I would probably have to use hyposalinity.

20. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I would just point out that if you are maintaining 2 systems anyway you can treat with copper for 13 days, transfer them to the new tank, treat with Prazi, then observe. Doesn't take much longer than TTM and takes care of Velvet, also.

Humblefish likes this.