Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned the hard way that Blue Stripe Butterflyfish (Chaetodon fremblii ) will not tolerate cuprmine. I am very strict on my QT regiment and usually do TTM. No fish goes in DT without 6 to 8 weeks of QT. Somehow I got ich in my tank. The only thing I can think of is when hosting local fish club meeting at my house someone floated a few bags in my sump without my knowledge until it was too late. And one of these bags was leaking. Well two weeks later ich started showing up in my tank. They did well for about 6 or 8 months then it started getting worse so I decided to take all 15 fish out and put in QT for treatment and go fallow for 3 months. Fish are divided up into 3 different QT tanks. With this many fish I decided to use copper treatment. I am ramping up copper over 6 days adding 1/2 dose cuprmine every other day. Well yesterday on dose 2 my Blue Stripe Butterfly, that I've had for 18 months , started laying on it's side and showing signs of copper poisoning. I transfers this fish to a new tank with fresh salt water but it was too late. :( My other fish are all doing well with copper treatment. So add this fish to the list of no copper treatment.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the great chart... very interesting... does ick shield food from New life contains CP? . I have lost some wrasses in the past year or so which were a total mystery.. wonder if it was the ick shield ? I am not putting down NL food.. I use it a lot.. just wondering if anyone else had some mysterious deaths.. or perhaps over medicated my own food with too much seachem metro and focus. anyone else have thoughts on that? thanks

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the great chart... very interesting... does ick shield food from New life contains CP? . I have lost some wrasses in the past year or so which were a total mystery.. wonder if it was the ick shield ? I am not putting down NL food.. I use it a lot.. just wondering if anyone else had some mysterious deaths.. or perhaps over medicated my own food with too much seachem metro and focus. anyone else have thoughts on that? thanks
Here is the ingredient list for the NL spectrum Ick Shield pellets.

"Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill, Garlic, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Spirulina, Chlorella Algae, Ulva Seaweed, Ginger, Ginseng, Onion, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin"

No CP but nothing that is proven effective against Ich, either.

Edit: Although not on the list, the active ingredient is CP so yes, it could have been the ick shield.

Last edited:

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I found a vet to give me a prescription for CP but she would give me only enough for two treatment for my 55 gal QT tank, 4.2 grams. I have to call her every time I have a fish with ich to get to get more. Which I guess is better than nothing.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I found a vet to give me a prescription for CP but she would give me only enough for two treatment for my 55 gal QT tank, 4.2 grams. I have to call her every time I have a fish with ich to get to get more. Which I guess is better than nothing.

Well, that is better than most people are able to get. Just be careful with it... you'll need to add the CP to any new water for water changes so keep that in mind.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish yeah, I have an appointment with exotic animal vet to try and get prescription for cp on Tuesday. My vet would not do it. I will use this method going forward.
Let me know how that works out, I haven't been able to get it here locally! Also, thanks for your contributions here to fish disease -- I'm proud to have another member from Indmas on here that's smarter than me with fish disease! ;)

Edit just read. Why won't she give you more? Maybe I need to wear her down too! :D

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how that works out, I haven't been able to get it here locally! Also, thanks for your contributions here to fish disease -- I'm proud to have another member from Indmas on here that's smarter than me with fish disease! ;)

Edit just read. Why won't she give you more? Maybe I need to wear her down too! :D

]@4FordFamily[/USER] , Well I won't say I am smarting with fish disease than you, but I have just been seeing sooo many different things this past 2 years while trying to stock my tank. So I have been doing lots of research and buying books on fish disease just to try an figure out what the fish have. I have been in this hobby for 10 years now and have not seen so many different parasites and disease as I have in the last couple of years.

My exotic animal vet is a real strick when it come to dosing out meds. Gives only exact amount needed for current treatment. She did request I send her all the links posted on here about scientific articles (not just forum talk either) on CP since she was not familiar with it and the dosage. And I did have to take the fish into her office and pay $65 office visit too. She is basing dosage off the article that says to use 15mg/l so I believe that equates to 38mg/gal. I hope this is right since it is not the dosage said to use on the forums for active infections. I would hate to go through all this and not have the dosage right and not rid my fish of ich!
Good Luck wearing her down! I have been a client of hers for 8 years now with my parrot and no luck wearing her down. I have even taken fish to her before too fresh water and saltwater.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear R2R-Team,

im fairly new to treatment of fish and QT procedures! For some reason only very few keepers QT their fish in europe :(

Luckily im learning a lot in your forum, and like to thank you for the amazing info offered within this thread!

I have two questions:

How is senstitivity of Blennies (in particular Ecsenius midas) to Ionic copper/chelated copper/CP?

Furthermore i would also be interested in which medication to select for triggerfish (Xanthachthis ssp.)?

Thanks in avance for your reply!

All the best from Austria/Vienna,
Christoph

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear R2R-Team,

im fairly new to treatment of fish and QT procedures! For some reason only very few keepers QT their fish in europe :(

Luckily im learning a lot in your forum, and like to thank you for the amazing info offered within this thread!

I have two questions:

How is senstitivity of Blennies (in particular Ecsenius midas) to Ionic copper/chelated copper/CP?

Furthermore i would also be interested in which medication to select for triggerfish (Xanthachthis ssp.)?

Thanks in avance for your reply!

All the best from Austria/Vienna,
Christoph

You are quite welcome Christoph! I find blennies do well in either type of copper, but since I use mostly chelated copper I know that they do well in that. Midas blennies will do just as well in copper. Just remember that these are generalities and that some fish that should be fine in copper will display issues with the chemical.

I haven't had trouble with any triggers in copper but the same rules apply to individuals in this case as well as the blennies.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Meredith,

thanks a lot for your promt answer! Is there also experience regarding triggers and Blennies in Chloroquine Phosphate? If possible, i would prefer this treatment option over copper in my QT system.

all the best,
Christoph

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Meredith,

thanks a lot for your promt answer! Is there also experience regarding triggers and Blennies in Chloroquine Phosphate? If possible, i would prefer this treatment option over copper in my QT system.

all the best,
Christoph

They should both do fine in CP as well.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mel! One fish I don't see on the lists are hogfish. I just picked up a peppermint today. Going to raise coppersafe slowly since I have a pair of wrasses in there, but just wanted to make sure the pep. can tolerate it too.

Thanks!

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see Blennys in this table. Can a Starry Blenny do well in chelated copper?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mel! One fish I don't see on the lists are hogfish. I just picked up a peppermint today. Going to raise coppersafe slowly since I have a pair of wrasses in there, but just wanted to make sure the pep. can tolerate it too.

Thanks!

I'll add hogfish to the list. I've had great luck with hogfish in coppersafe and haven't seen any reports that say otherwise.
I don't see Blennys in this table. Can a Starry Blenny do well in chelated copper?

Blennys do very well in copper. I'll add them to the chart as well.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add hogfish to the list. I've had great luck with hogfish in coppersafe and haven't seen any reports that say otherwise.

Blennys do very well in copper. I'll add them to the chart as well.
I put a Starry Blenny through a Chloroquine treatment without observable problem. Only a sample of one, but he was fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back