Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the chart above was very helpful. I am getting ready to buy my very first fish. I will QT them (probably a Benghai Cardinal and a wrasse or a Royal Gramma). What is the protocol on how to add meds to the QT? My assumption going in is that the fish are not sick, but better safe than sorry so I elect to medicate before I put them in the DT. I want to medicate as LITTLE as possible so I am thinking just the basics...Coppersafe and anything else that you recommend? Is there a good article on how to medicate, the schedule, types of meds,amounts etc?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend treating for worms or internal parasites prophylactically using general cure. bound to frozen foods using seachem’s focus.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to medicate as LITTLE as possible so I am thinking just the basics...Coppersafe and anything else that you recommend? Is there a good article on how to medicate, the schedule, types of meds,amounts etc?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

After reading TONS of threads here and else where I personally narrowed it down to Copper for ICH or Velvet followed by Prazipro for Flukes (use praziquantel with caution for the Wrasse). @NowGlazeIT sent a great resource for you. During treatment I treat for internal parasites using Seachem Metroplex bound to frozen food with Seachem's Focus. Great choice to QT your fish, I have 2 in treatment now for the next 60days.

Another resource that helped me is: fish-disease-index.247600 (Credit to @Humblefish for the great write-ups!)

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! In the link that NowGlazeIT sent, it says not to mix meds. So after I get my first fish into the QT, do I treat for ICH/Velvet? Then wait xxx amount of time, do a water change and then follow up w/ Prazipro? And then do I treat for parasites using Metroplex and Focus? How long do I wait between meds and what do I have to do to prepare, such as water changes? Thanks again for your advice. This is all for what I hope to be healthy fish from my LFS, not sick fish. Whew!

Steve

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! In the link that NowGlazeIT sent, it says not to mix meds. So after I get my first fish into the QT, do I treat for ICH/Velvet? Then wait xxx amount of time, do a water change and then follow up w/ Prazipro? And then do I treat for parasites using Metroplex and Focus? How long do I wait between meds and what do I have to do to prepare, such as water changes? Thanks again for your advice. This is all for what I hope to be healthy fish from my LFS, not sick fish. Whew!

Steve
In general you do not want to mix medications. Since Ich and Velvet tend to be quick killers I chose to treat for that first. After the full copper treatment (I am going with 30 days min) remove all copper using a combination of Cuprisorb, Poly filters (like these ref=asc_df_B00025664C5344203) and a 25% WC then keep an eye on them for a week or so then follow up with Prazi (two treatments required about a week apart). You can feed them the treated food during copper treatment since the Focus binds the Metroplex to the food and does not put it in the water column with the copper.

Last edited:

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steve1500 Here is another awesome write-up from Humblefish on general QT guidelines with equipment recommendations, requirements, treatment options, schedules and other info as well as a non medicated Ich treatment option if you have the resources either way it's great for general reading!

how-to-quarantine.189815

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steve1500 Here is another awesome write-up from Humblefish on general QT guidelines with equipment recommendations, requirements, treatment options, schedules and other info as well as a non medicated Ich treatment option if you have the resources either way it's great for general reading!

how-to-quarantine.189815
Very nice! @Reef Box is on the money! I also treat with coppersafe first and metroplex or general cure during. A Airstone running 24/7 will help keep the water oxygenated and it’s a must when your adding things like prazi or antibiotics. I have mine going from the start. Keeping your fish fed and fat is priority #1 IMO. It’s common they won’t eat for a couple days when first introduced to your QT. I thought my purple fire fish was not going to make it but it turned out to be extremely high levels of stress. Best thing I did was start mixing SELCON in my foods and added enough hiding places to suite all inhabitants.
That being said I wouldn’t worry about treating the fish right away as long as there are no signs of diseases but instead spend time getting them comfortable and fed. I waited till everyone was eating good for a couple days then slowly started ramping up copper over the course of 6 days and my Halichoeres Chrysus wrasses is doing great sitting in 2 weeks of copper at the moment

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That’s an excellent way to de-stress the fish then slowly medicate. I think I will go with your advice and let them eat, drink and be merry before I start the “vaccinations”. I never imagined that there would be this much thought and research but I am certainly enjoying it!

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again, I do have two more questions for you. On a Vivid youtube video, they say you can dose Prazipro and Cupramine at the same time. For a beginner, is this a bad idea? Also, they say you can QT about 4-5 fish in a 30G tank at one time. If I do this and they are small, "peaceful" fish, is it ok? I am thinking Benghai, 2 Clowns and a wrasse or a gramma. Only thing I am concerned about is the wrasse and the Praz so I may go w/the gramma.

Thanks again,
Steve

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do Qt more than one fish at a time and have good luck, but I prefer to do one at a time. One problem with this is one of those fish can have an unknown parasite that proves hard if not impossible to get rid of and then infects all the fish. There are several threads on this exact thing. Another problems is ammonia. It also depends on the size and kind of fish.

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not treat with both at the same time. People have done it and it has worked. Others have tried and it did not. Best to go slow and run one treatment at a time. As far as fish go, it all depends on your setup and the fish. @MrsBugmaster makes a great point and one many of us have experienced (myself specifically just recently) I personally will not attempt more than 2 fish at a time.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again, I do have two more questions for you. On a Vivid youtube video, they say you can dose Prazipro and Cupramine at the same time. For a beginner, is this a bad idea? Also, they say you can QT about 4-5 fish in a 30G tank at one time. If I do this and they are small, "peaceful" fish, is it ok? I am thinking Benghai, 2 Clowns and a wrasse or a gramma. Only thing I am concerned about is the wrasse and the Praz so I may go w/the gramma.

Thanks again,
Steve

You can run both copper and prazi at the same time, however it's best to do them one at a time. Doing them together can be tricky since you can get a bacterial bloom that will deplete O2 in the water quickly and cause more problems than it will help. Care must be taken when doing them together and should only be done together if the need is strong.

You can also QT a small group of fish together, though the points made above are valid ones. Aside from those, you need to be sure that you have a filter large enough to handle the bioload they will cause and be sure that you add them all at the same time. It's even preferable that they all come from the same source.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys what do you guys think about Fluconazole when it comes to treating fish ? I have an algae problem and was reading the thread about it and I’m thinking about using it to solve my algae problem but before I put it in my DT I wanted to know if there’s anything I need to worry about when it comes to my fishes in the long run ?

Thank you all.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys what do you guys think about Fluconazole when it comes to treating fish ? I have an algae problem and was reading the thread about it and I’m thinking about using it to solve my algae problem but before I put it in my DT I wanted to know if there’s anything I need to worry about when it comes to my fishes in the long run ?

Thank you all.

I've used it with fish in a tank and haven't had any problems with the fish in that tank almost a year later. Just some anecdotal evidence.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back