Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I wanted to share a recent success story. After a tank-wide ich outbreak, the result of introducing an un-quarantined Mandarin Dragonet, I had a tough choice to make as far as quarantine procedures go. My fish (Purple Tang, Blue Hippo, Foxface, 3 Chromis, 2 clowns, and now a Mandarin) weren't all qualified to go into QT with QP, due to the Hippo. However, due to space restrictions, husbandry concerns, and time constraints, I had to give it a try as it was the only quarantine option that was feasible for me. (TTM wasn't possible given my schedule at the time, and I'd had problems with copper too).

I asked @Humblefish ahead of time if he'd ever heard of anyone getting a Hippo through CP treatment, and he informed me that @melypr1985 had done it recently... So I decided to give it a shot. During the first week, she was okay, but eventually she stopped eating her normal food. At this point I was ready to take her out, but fortunately I was able to get her to start eating again by offering a different food (they were all originally eating a homemade blend of shrimp, scallops, white fish, broccoli, vitamins, and garlic). I had to start offering her more seaweed starting in week 2... But eventually she didn't want that either. Finally I tried PE pellets, which got her through to the end of treatment. I watched her like a hawk the whole time (she's my favorite fish) and I really believe the varied diet helped get her through.

Also, yes I learned my lesson about adding un-quarantined fish to the DT...I rolled the dice when I added the Mandarin because I'd previously failed at getting one through QT. Unfortunately, this second Mandarin, the one that caused all the trouble, didn't make it either (despite adding $60 worth of live copepods to the QT specifically for her). I've given up the Dragonet dream, but wanted to share that it is possible to get a Hippo through CP... So maybe the red "5" on the chart at the beginning of this thread can come down to like an orange "4". Also a big thanks to everyone who helped along the way [emoji1]

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I wanted to share a recent success story. After a tank-wide ich outbreak, the result of introducing an un-quarantined Mandarin Dragonet, I had a tough choice to make as far as quarantine procedures go. My fish (Purple Tang, Blue Hippo, Foxface, 3 Chromis, 2 clowns, and now a Mandarin) weren't all qualified to go into QT with QP, due to the Hippo. However, due to space restrictions, husbandry concerns, and time constraints, I had to give it a try as it was the only quarantine option that was feasible for me. (TTM wasn't possible given my schedule at the time, and I'd had problems with copper too).

I asked @Humblefish ahead of time if he'd ever heard of anyone getting a Hippo through CP treatment, and he informed me that @melypr1985 had done it recently... So I decided to give it a shot. During the first week, she was okay, but eventually she stopped eating her normal food. At this point I was ready to take her out, but fortunately I was able to get her to start eating again by offering a different food (they were all originally eating a homemade blend of shrimp, scallops, white fish, broccoli, vitamins, and garlic). I had to start offering her more seaweed starting in week 2... But eventually she didn't want that either. Finally I tried PE pellets, which got her through to the end of treatment. I watched her like a hawk the whole time (she's my favorite fish) and I really believe the varied diet helped get her through.

Also, yes I learned my lesson about adding un-quarantined fish to the DT...I rolled the dice when I added the Mandarin because I'd previously failed at getting one through QT. Unfortunately, this second Mandarin, the one that caused all the trouble, didn't make it either (despite adding $60 worth of live copepods to the QT specifically for her). I've given up the Dragonet dream, but wanted to share that it is possible to get a Hippo through CP... So maybe the red "5" on the chart at the beginning of this thread can come down to like an orange "4". Also a big thanks to everyone who helped along the way [emoji1]

Was that eBay or dr ordered ?

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On a side note you don't have to give up on the Mandarin. I just got a captive bred one and it was eating frozen day one and pellets within a week.

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I quarantine Midas Blenny ?
Will they tolerate chelated copper?
That would be my first choice for a Blenny but I believe they do well in all 3 choices. One of the easier ones to QT imo.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it on eBay! The seller's info was given to me by Chad over at BRS, who told me he'd had success using it in the past. I'll post it here if anyone is interested:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Chloroquine-...ne-ich-velvet-brook-/231636780028?_mwBanner=1

Will I did contact him and he sent me this.

bb973ac5257678d9f951c5c767d42f43.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I remember you saying that. [emoji1531]

Actually 100% CP is, "5 years when stored at room temperature in original packing."

Source: http://www.aurolabs.com/pdf/api/new/CHLOROQUINEPHOSPHATE.pdf

The 3 year shelf life is CP sourced from Diamondback Drugs, so there must be something else in their CP (binder?) with a shorter shelf life.

Which raises another question: Does CP need a binder in order to be effective (for fish)? Every time I've gotten CP from a compounding pharmacy it's always 99-99.5% pure with a 0.5-1% binder included. BUT that CP is meant for human consumption to treat malaria.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back