Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah [emoji23] it’s the name of the street I grew-up on in Grenada [emoji1114]
Ohhh hah my bad. I’ve seen your name of few times here and there and curiosity finally got the better of me hah

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, Thanks Bobby for calling me in ;-)

the shelf life of CP depends on storage conditions. Colder = better. Moisture = bad. Light = bad. Also, as with many organic compounds certain impurities can accelerate decomposition.

The different expiration dates given by different manufacturers are just the dates the manufacturer has tested and guarantees quality for (given certain sorage conditions). In my opinion CP is pretty stable, and if you end up buying a larger quantity just aliquot it into portions, seal them moisture & air-tight and store them in the freezer labeled accordingly. It would suprise me if the CP would go bad even if stored for 10+ years at these optimum conditions.

CP does not need any binder to be effective. Binders are just added into CP tablets to make the tablet not fall into pieces.

All the best,
Christoph

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, Thanks Bobby for calling me in ;-)

the shelf life of CP depends on storage conditions. Colder = better. Moisture = bad. Light = bad. Also, as with many organic compounds certain impurities can accelerate decomposition.

The different expiration dates given by different manufacturers are just the dates the manufacturer has tested and guarantees quality for (given certain sorage conditions). In my opinion CP is pretty stable, and if you end up buying a larger quantity just aliquot it into portions, seal them moisture & air-tight and store them in the freezer labeled accordingly. It would suprise me if the CP would go bad even if stored for 10+ years at these optimum conditions.

CP does not need any binder to be effective. Binders are just added into CP tablets to make the tablet not fall into pieces.

All the best,
Christoph

Great info @Christoph!

@bkpky @jilnifer

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think he might have been exposed to ammonia, a 30 min MB bath would be a good idea: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/
I’m getting a new fish tomorrow and it will be going straight in my DT, was considering dosing some Methylene blue while I drip him. The salinity is higher in my tank than where he is coming from by .03. My question is, can I use prime and MB together? I use prime on new arrivals when they have been shipped. TIA

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a new fish tomorrow and it will be going straight in my DT, was considering dosing some Methylene blue while I drip him. The salinity is higher in my tank than where he is coming from by .03. My question is, can I use prime and MB together? I use prime on new arrivals when they have been shipped. TIA

I've never mixed an ammonia reducer with MB, so unfortunately I am not sure. :confused:

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never mixed an ammonia reducer with MB, so unfortunately I am not sure. :confused:
Do you think the MB will be enough, the fish is a powder blue gold rim hybrid
B029A401-4511-4ACE-9765-F7703A674E3C.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tanggirl12 If I'm understanding correctly, you are adding this fish to your DT without QTing it yourself. So, I can only assume someone else is QTing/conditioning the fish for you. May I ask which medications have been used on the fish, duration, etc.? MB is really only useful to heal open wounds, and reverse ammonia and/or cyanide poisoning.

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tanggirl12 If I'm understanding correctly, you are adding this fish to your DT without QTing it yourself. So, I can only assume someone else is QTing/conditioning the fish for you. May I ask which medications have been used on the fish, duration, etc.? MB is really only useful to heal open wounds, and reverse ammonia and/or cyanide poisoning.
Absolutely, I’m getting it from a reputable dealer in specialty fish, it’s been through prazi treatment and 30 days of copper and very well conditioned. My concern is with the shipping time, shipping today, coming from California to Mississippi. It may be coming delta cargo and won’t be an issue, I’ll know later today. I have been advised I can do my drip with prime, then follow with my bath afterwards as most of the old water will be removed.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I’m getting it from a reputable dealer in specialty fish, it’s been through prazi treatment and 30 days of copper and very well conditioned. My concern is with the shipping time, shipping today, coming from California to Mississippi. It may be coming delta cargo and won’t be an issue, I’ll know later today. I have been advised I can do my drip with prime, then follow with my bath afterwards as most of the old water will be removed.

Wow can you point me in the direction of this seller would like to see what dish they have available since they do qt for 30 days.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my first preventative QT tank for new fish. Yesterday I bought a Coral Beauty Angel, a Six-line Wrasse and two Clownfish and am acclimating them to the QT before starting any treatment.
I previously used Cupramine to treat fish in an emergency situation and used a Salifert test kit.
However, if I'm reading this chart correctly, it seems it would be safer for to use Coppersafe on these particular fish and monitor the copper level with the API test kit.
I’ve got a few days to gather these supplies if needed as I’m doing a Prazipro treatment first as per HumbleFish’s tutorial.
I was thinking of visiting our dog & cat vet to get an Rx for CP but it seems to be counter indicated for the wrasse.

Can someone please confirm that switching to the Coppersafe is the way to go here?
I also just read a post where there is some question about Fritz Aquatics' recommended dosage and therapeutic value.
per Brew12: "I keep thinking there has to be a better way. I'm still discouraged about the situation when I think of my email exchange with Fritz about Coppersafe. They say on their website that when dosed according to instructions it creates a total copper of 0.15ppm to 0.20ppm. They acknowledge that is not correct and that the actual dosing is 1.16ppm to 1.17ppm. They aren't willing to change either the recommended range or the dosing instructions because the recommended dose "appears effective" but they are doing more testing."

What is R2R's recommended dosage ml/gal for Coppersafe?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please confirm that switching to the Coppersafe is the way to go here?

It really comes down to which copper product you are most comfortable using. Some have great success with Cupramine, others prefer Coppersafe. There is no right or wrong answer here.

What is R2R's recommended dosage ml/gal for Coppersafe?

Dosing 2mL/gal will put you right where you need to be (almost 2.0 ppm, but not quite). Therapeutic range for Coppersafe is 1.5-2.0 ppm.

More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/page-3#post-4005428

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really comes down to which copper product you are most comfortable using. Some have great success with Cupramine, others prefer Coppersafe. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Dosing 2mL/gal will put you right where you need to be (almost 2.0 ppm, but not quite). Therapeutic range for Coppersafe is 1.5-2.0 ppm.

More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/page-3#post-4005428

Thanks HF. I'm comfortable with Cupramine but seeing the relative safety levels of Chelated vs Ionic prompted my question.
After thinking about what I experienced and rereading the chart: When I used the Cupramine in an emergency QT situation, I lost both a Six-line Wrasse and a Coral beauty shortly after placing them in QT while my Christmas Wrasse (thalassoma) survived. The Six-line was rated at #3 and the Coral Beauty at #2 on the safety chart while the Xmas Wrasse was rated at #1. Kind of reinforces the accuracy of the chart. Hard to say if those two fish were too far gone by the time I got them into QT or if the copper played a role. Either way, think I’ll err on the side of caution here and make the switch.

I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating: Many thinks to all of you who contribute so much here to help us novices succeed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back