Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Yes, every 48 hrs.

4FordFamily likes this.

2. cody hendrix

cody hendrix Active Member

Ok thanks again,

You may be the reason I keep them all alive.

3. carlwoow

carlwoow New Member

Hi, I have just come to the end of my CP treatment. Unfortunately I lost my Birdmouth wrasse in first couple of days of treatment.

4. Ghost463

Ghost463 Active Member

Threads like this make r2r stand out!! Great info!

5. Burrito

Burrito Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I have both copper power and cupramine on hand. I have some fish coming in, anthias and a foxface(assume follow same as squirrefish in the chart above) from divers den. Both of which are a 1 in terms of safeness using chealated copper. Which should I use?

6. Swoody

Swoody Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Can I treat Bluejaw Triggers using Coppersafe? Actually hoping all fish in QT can be treated together... Royal Gramma, Midas Blenny, Purp queen Anthias, and the Triggerfish.

7. Balz3352

Balz3352 Active Member

Id just like to say thank you for this! These lists have saved some of my fish due to their sensitivity and such for treatment. I'm glad I know about this and check it any time im about to treat a fish.

Unfortunately my diligence of qt EVERYTHING failed and I introduced ich to my dt. Im currently in the process of taking all the fish out to treat them and dgo fallow. But one of my fish is a mandarin. Im glad i checked the list because I am treating all the fish with copper and im sure my mandarin would have died. Now ill just have to use cp.

(thank you! The mandarin is my wifes fav fish. Death would have been horrible).

8. Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper Reef Keeper

Can Scrawled Cowfish, Acanthostracion quadriconis, be treated with Chelated Copper??

9. azbigjohn

azbigjohn Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I had been searching for the thread you wrote on this a couple years ago just yesterday, and it's in my email today!

Awesome as always, Meredith!

norfolkgarden and 4FordFamily like this.
  10. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I agree I’m glad she compiled this list!

11. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

This is excellent info especially reading the last 6 weeks of many who want to or try to treat for various parasitic and non-parasitic issues.

[​IMG]

norfolkgarden likes this.
  12. Samandar

Samandar Member Reef Tank 365

Hi, Meredith
    It is very good chart. I would like tell you my experience of six line and cleaner wrasses treatment with CP. Although according to your chart disease treatment of these fishes with CP is dangerous. But I have treat Cryptocarion thanks CP without any problem. The fishes eat even granulate during the treatment period. I have used 10 mg/L Chloroquine Phosphate together with salinity of 1.014.

13. clarity1981

clarity1981 Member

Quick question if anyone knows, where do Marine Bettas fall on this list, under groupers? Just wondering if I can do CP treatment on one.

14. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, I have no experience using CP on either.

15. clarity1981

clarity1981 Member

Thanks for the reply @Humblefish. Have you done other treatments on them, copper, Etc.?

16. pshootr

pshootr Well-Known Member

I recently heard of a product called Safety stop. It employs a two-step bathing process, first with formalin and then with methylene blue. On the product package it claims to reduce disease causing bacteria and parasites. The word reduce does not sound very reassuring to me. I already feel like this treatment would be inferior compared to more traditional quarantine and treatment methods. But I was just wondering how some of you more experienced hobbyist, would respond to this technique as an option.

17. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

It's a good option for people that aren't willing to quarantine, although the use of formalin is controversial. Some people believe it shortens the lifespan of the fish.

pshootr likes this.
  18. pshootr

pshootr Well-Known Member

I think you summed that up pretty well. Confirming my interpretation of this procedure. And I was not aware of the controversial issue concerning formalin.

Thank you

19. Humblefish

Both groupers and Marine Bettas handle copper very well. So, I've always stuck to using chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power) on them.

20. lewis.maryann08

lewis.maryann08 Well-Known Member

Mine have ick and flake so I put all of them in qt I added 2 drops per gallon like it said and all fish are eating and seem better how long should I leave them in it?

Draft saved Draft deleted