Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have ick and flake so I put all of them in qt I added 2 drops per gallon like it said and all fish are eating and seem better how long should I leave them in it?

Cupramine? You need to test using either a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit to ensure the therapeutic level is close to 0.5ppm. And leave it there for 4 weeks.

You also need to use Prazipro to treat for flukes.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question. 55 QT. has a few fish in copper Hanna shows copper at 1.94. Lineatus wrasse juv is doing some awkward swimming. like side ways , upside down. but still controlled. copper side effect, or perhaps lack of food? Lineatus wrasse in qt copper tank for 25 days now. Other fish (pin tail wrasse) in the QT are doing ok. thinking of lowering the copper level but also have two blue tangs in there going through treatment.. and as we know those guys are Ick magnets..

I am thinking might be a spinal injury. I have not seen him do any jumping but... given the rest of the fish are all eating and doing well in the copper treatment and he was doing well in the treatment for weeks ..

Thoughts. thanks
Perhaps maybe I should have started this on a new thread but then again,, might be good in this thread
?

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you.. yep... you hit it on the head of the nail.... better way to describe the swim pattern. when horizontal he side swims like a juv emperator. and at other times he is tail down head up..

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you.. yep... you hit it on the head of the nail.... better way to describe the swim pattern. when horizontal he side swims like a juv emperator. and at other times he is tail down head up..
Yup spinal injuries can also be characterized by a fish swimming like it had a heavy lead dinner tied to its tail.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread and all the related threads have been invaluable to me as I plan I adding a number of new fish to my 225 which has been up since 2004. I rarely add new fish and over the last 5 years or so I've lost a couple. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this.

Can we get Triggerfish added to the chart at the beginning of the thread? I'm not adding a trigger right now, but am considering adding a blue throat trigger after the latest round of purchases make it through quarantine. Hopefully they'll make it through quarantine. This time I'm treating prophylactically as just observing didn't seem to work out so well in my last online order from a well known vendor a couple of months ago. I've still got the QT tank up and running.

Mickey

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Mickey!

What we'll need for that, I think, is someone who's treated a _lot_ of triggerfish (or a _lot_ of people who've treated a few triggers each!) using each of the various methods for treating ich / velvet. I've only treated a single trigger, a blue-jaw, and that with Chelated copper. Little guy came through just fine - but that's only one fish.

~Bruce

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I just assumed that the experts who have given so much to this thread already have also treated triggerfish. There are so many different fish listed I thought it got left off accidentally.

If and when the time comes that I try one, I'll post results and the QT protocol followed if that will help.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I just assumed that the experts who have given so much to this thread already have also treated triggerfish. There are so many different fish listed I thought it got left off accidentally.

If and when the time comes that I try one, I'll post results and the QT protocol followed if that will help.
I think most of us who helped with the list concentrated on reef safe fish. We had some input from others but I don't recall triggerfish being discussed. No reason why we can't ask for some help with this.

Let's get some data!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-for-triggerfish.512169/

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys this thread is awesome with so much wealth of information. I need you experts help in determining what kind of infection is on my clownfish pair...i have attached some pics circling the area where i see the infection. It looks like a beige color blob sticking out of one of the fish’s gills area and the other one has it on its side (very hard to see this one but i tried). Can you guys please help in determining the issue and treatment....
6ea542ccc2ed3c3bd4bce9a9aafd7ab9.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, I can see more in this photo than in the others - even though not-that-much.

Might well be a bacterial infection, which could - and should - be treated in a QT, but your description of a "beige-colored blob" also has me thinking Lymphocystis. Lymphocystis is a virus and there's no cure, but it's roughly the equivalent to cold sores in humans, so good quality food and water is usually sufficient.

~Bruce

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, I can see more in this photo than in the others - even though not-that-much.

Might well be a bacterial infection, which could - and should - be treated in a QT, but your description of a "beige-colored blob" also has me thinking Lymphocystis. Lymphocystis is a virus and there's no cure, but it's roughly the equivalent to cold sores in humans, so good quality food and water is usually sufficient.

~Bruce

Hi Bruce
Thanks for your help. I was able to catch her and remove the blob with my finger nail being extra careful. Here is the pic of it with a black background. What i noticed upon touching is it is very sticky...
0c87ddc31c3c0fe24448715dfac08706.jpg

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bruce
Thanks for your help. I was able to catch her and remove the blob with my finger nail being extra careful. Here is the pic of it with a black background. What i noticed upon touching is it is very sticky...

A pretty good story for lymphocystis and that may certainly be one, though I don't know that I've heard of someone trying to remove them before haha.

~Not Bruce, but someday hope to amount to his level ;)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of folks removing them before, but usually only in the rare and extreme circumstance where the growths begin to interfere with the fish's eating or breathing.

Lymphocystis usually presents as whitish to beige "cauliflower" looking growths. Often in angels and butterflies, but can affect any fish, commonly along the edges of the fins, but can appear anywhere on the body.

~Bruce

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks good to hear it could be lympo which i have heard goes away on its own if provided good husbandry. I am happy to see he was swimming as normal all around the tank with his mate...the only reason i tried to catch and remove it is because it was near his gills and i was afraid it could have suffocated him....hopefully things should work out..i will try and keep up with the husbandry...what sucks is here in Canada the federal government has banned all the lfs and pet stores to sell antibiotics such as fungus guard etc for pets and if we need it we have to go through a veterinarian doctor...and i dont even want to dip into the charges these vets charges...

Back