OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said before, I would have expected that velvet would have caused fish loss much faster, but I'm struggling to come up with another solution. It sure seems like it might have been velvet to me. I'm just guessing here - but perhaps velvet, infecting established fish, shows different symptoms? We normally see velvet in new fish, and perhaps in longer term captives, it presents differently?

Jay
So how to eradicate the velvet in tank? I'm not ready to add fish until tank is safe again, and still in grief.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how to eradicate the velvet in tank? I'm not ready to add fish until tank is safe again, and still in grief.

OP
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I'd go fallow until end of this year i guess. Better to stay fallow longer.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. Do qt research for sure. I now have a coral invert qt tank and a separate fish qt. And still things can happen

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what is funny. Putting a bunch of inappropriate fish in a 30g causes stress which leads to disease. You didn't QT everything nor did you set up a low stress environment (for those who don't QT). So the chance of failure was high.

OP
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. Do qt research for sure. I now have a coral invert qt tank and a separate fish qt. And still things can happen
Thanks for saying that.

I was too scared QT ing coral because unlike fish QT that is able to be setup anytime, Coral QT is like a DT itself in terms of equipments and tank maturity. It is like having 2 systems running in parallel. I run an SPS dominated tank, I figure that coral QT should be able to keep SPS alive and growing for at least two or three months and that's difficult if coral QT is not as equal as DT.

What is your coral/invert QT protocol?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what is funny. Putting a bunch of inappropriate fish in a 30g causes stress which leads to disease. You didn't QT everything nor did you set up a low stress environment (for those who don't QT). So the chance of failure was high.
That's the laughing when you're sad.
In my defense i have a strict fish QT protocol running at least a month or more, but not a Coral QT as it would be like having 2 parallel systems, something i can not afford: space & resources.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Already have one on hand at the moment and in the process of installing it.

Remember, a sidestream UV sterilizer will not eliminate infections in an aquarium, as some propagules don't need to leave the fish (and thus never pass through the UV) while others can replicate faster than they are being pulled from the water column. They also do not reduce the fallow period. Additionally, many UV systems for home aquariums are underpowered. UV's main application is to prevent disease transmission between tanks connected as a bank.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, a sidestream UV sterilizer will not eliminate infections in an aquarium, as some propagules don't need to leave the fish (and thus never pass through the UV) while others can replicate faster than they are being pulled from the water column. They also do not reduce the fallow period. Additionally, many UV systems for home aquariums are underpowered. UV's main application is to prevent disease transmission between tanks connected as a bank.

Jay
No need eh?
Hmmm.... just to help controlling algae at bay then.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although not a contributor. ......
Your MAG IS HIGH.
CA is low
Salinity slightly low

Mag - 1300
CA - 450
Salinity - 35pt

You mentioned itching- crypto or velvet would be my suspect

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like any parasites or disease from the corpse photos...

Did you possibly have a bacterial bloom which starved oxygen? Are you running a overflow? Skimmer? Good surface agitation?

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check for stray voltage.
Around 11.3 v AC, no DC.
After flipping some electrical sockets then it became 6.2v AC. Touching water didn't give electrical shock.

am i the only one here concerned about the 11.3 VAC that is being measured in the water ?

How are you measuring this ? are you measureing from water to ground of the power source.

If so and you are reading a AC voltage of 11.3 ? id be concerned of electrocution to the inhabitants. ?

should not see a voltage higher then mabye +or- 1.0

Last edited:

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really sorry for your loss. My tank was wiped out because of velvet. I dipped my coral, but didn’t quarantine them. You can get details and changes I’ve made on my build thread. These are the first two I lost. This is what velvet looked like in my tank..

When your fallow period is complete, make sure to research the fish you choose to add to your tank. That was a lot of fish for a 30 gallon tank and most would agree that a 30 gallon is too small to house a tang. I only had two clownfish, a flame hawkfish and blue chromis in a 40 gallon tank.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) bigger UV than listed, or don’t botjer with one at all

2) I know nothing about dosing (for aquariums) but that strikes me as a lot of dosing for a tank that is young and up until recently had no corals. Something has to consume the elements you add

Back