Fish arrived barely alive

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guarantee is live arrival- not how acclimation was performed as they cant prove method used. If fish arrives normal and healthy- By all means consider their protocol. Winter is a tough time of the year in general to ship
I mean, I guess you could just lie and say you did their method (Biota specifically states that not following their protocol invalidates their 7-day guarantee). Maybe I'm just too honest lol. I am wary of ammonia with shipped fish tho and if I did drip acclimate I would probably add Prime or something like that.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness1313

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link I provided specifically stated that under no circumstances do you put an air stone into the bag. Numerous people responded to her request for help by telling her to put an air stone into the bag. One guy even said “once I put the air stone into the bag, then time is on my side”. I would say chances are very good that her fish died of ammonia poisoning if she had followed their advice.
No I did not use an air stone. I did a quick acclimation just to get the salinity to match.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert on this but I have read that when ordering fish online the bag with the fish is filled with pure oxygen to help the fish survive for an extend of time. While the fish live in the little water ammonia builds up, but the co2 also are trapped in the water resulting the PH to drop. The ammonia is not toxic in low PH conditions and here comes the problem…. When opening the bag the co2 escape the water and PH is increasing resulting the ammonia to be toxic. Adding an air stone only make this process worse. In these cases the drip acclimation is not a process you want to do for very long and some just skip this part if fish have been a long time in the bag.
Correct me if I’m wrong as this is only knowledge I got from reading, I have no experience yet.
Sorry, I just saw this. I’m not quite sure why you’re quoting me though? That was exactly what I meant in the post you quoted and did not suggest to drip acclimate or use an air stone.

If you’re questioning why I only temp acclimated you can read the procedure guidelines on Biota’s website, which state to do the same thing I posted. I also said I would follow the vendors instructions from where I got the fish, not just any instructions — op says she got hers from saltwaterfish.com.

Looks like someone posted instructions from petco which is a much less reputable source than someplace like biota. In any case, my three fish from biota are well and have done great. I followed their procedure, and i agreed with it anyway. They ship at reef salinity in very little water, in bags not pumped full of O2.

Last edited:

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defy you to find me one reputable dealer online that says to take the fish and pop it into your tank or QT right out of the shipping bag. I’ll be here.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I order a fish online I always temp acclimate but as soon as I open the bag it's best to release the fish imo.

Lareng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just saw this. I’m not quite sure why you’re quoting me though? That was exactly what I meant in the post you quoted and did not suggest to drip acclimate or use an air stone.

If you’re questioning why I only temp acclimated you can read the procedure guidelines on Biota’s website, which state to do the same thing I posted. I also said I would follow the vendors instructions from where I got the fish, not just any instructions — op says she got hers from saltwaterfish.com.

Looks like someone posted instructions from petco which is a much less reputable source than someplace like biota. In any case, my three fish from biota are well and have done great. I followed their procedure, and i agreed with it anyway. They ship at reef salinity in very little water, in bags not pumped full of O2.
I was just agreeing to your post and wanted to stand on your side here, the quoting was unnecessary, sorry.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“When we ship out all animals are provided with fresh shipping water that includes stress reducing and ammonia detoxifying additives to reduce the amount of shipping stress in transit. Due to these additives we suggest a quick acclimation stated below: “

Thank you for the education. However, most livestock dealers do not include those special additives. That notwithstanding, Biota is a reputable dealer and they do instruct to bypass the water acclimation portion and put the specimen directly into the tank. Thanks.

Back