Fish arrived barely alive

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved my royal gramma from saltwaterfish.com and it is barely alive. I thought it was dead at first but when i looked closely, it's still breathing. It was upside down and now it's kinda just lying on its side. I have the QT ready and I'm floating the bag right now. What do I do? Do I just acclimate it like I normally would? Or is there anything else I can do to help it survive? Thanks in advance!

20220309_151450.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just recieved my royal gramma from saltwaterfish.com and it is barely alive. I thought it was dead at first but when i looked closely, it's still breathing. It was upside down and now it's kinda just lying on its side. I have the QT ready and I'm floating the bag right now. What do I do? Do I just acclimate it like I normally would? Or is there anything else I can do to help it survive? Thanks in advance!

20220309_151450.jpg
This is where acclimation will be very important
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket. Add aeration if possible

Then . . . .

Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6-8 times (almost 2 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness1313

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where acclimation will be very important
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket. Add aeration if possible

Then . . . .

Add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6-8 times (almost 2 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out.
I will do that. Thank you very much!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness1313

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas have a habit of “playing dead” initially. They’ll even float upside down. I’d be careful about a prolonged drip acclimation. If that bag is full of ammonia you’re just prolonging suffering.
Wow I didn't know they did that! That's good to know. Thanks for the advice! It helps a lot. I won't be doing too long of an acclimation. The water will get too cold here if it's sitting outside of the tank.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I didn't know they did that! That's good to know. Thanks for the advice! It helps a lot. I won't be doing too long of an acclimation. The water will get too cold here if it's sitting outside of the tank.
Thats why I do it in the bag, in the tank. I use a small clamp, like an oversized plastic clothespin and clip it to the rim of the tank, and then squeeze in a turkey baster full of tank water every few minutes. once the water in the bag is almost double, I pour half down the sink and continue as before.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness1313

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody also mentioned awhile back the some LFS add a mild solution sedative to the water to keep fish calm during shipping. I have not verified this myself though.
That's interesting! I have never heard that before. I'm not sure, I have ordered from this place twice before. The first time I ordered a coral banded shrimp and some cleaner clams. The shrimp and a few clams died the same day. So I used my store credit from that to buy the Royal gramma. I'm not going to order from them again. It could just be bad luck, but I'm done with it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting! I have never heard that before. I'm not sure, I have ordered from this place twice before. The first time I ordered a coral banded shrimp and some cleaner clams. The shrimp and a few clams died the same day. So I used my store credit from that to buy the Royal gramma. I'm not going to order from them again. It could just be bad luck, but I'm done with it.
If I remember correctly it made the bag water slightly blue tinted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As youre adding cup of tank water per instructions, the tank water will continue to warm it up

OP
OP
ReeferMadness1313

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As youre adding cup of tank water per instructions, the tank water will continue to warm it up
Yes you're right. I was thinking about drip acclimation! Every time I do a drip acclimation (I have a bunch of FW shrimp that I drip acclimate) the water doesn't stay warm for very long. I just got them mixed up in my rush to help the fish lol.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness1313

ReeferMadness1313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. The guys at WWC warned me about it when I bought mine. Sure enough my guy “Purple” initially floated upside down until he settled in. Now he runs my tank, or thinks he does.
Yeah I think that's exactly what was going on! He is upright and swimming around in the QT now. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun fish with a lot of personality lol.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that's exactly what was going on! He is upright and swimming around in the QT now. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun fish with a lot of personality lol.

I love mine. He hides a lot, but is a stunningly beautiful fish when he decides to show himself.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This water was definitely not blue
Found this on the internet just for future knowledge...

Sedatives, mild and uncontaminated, are really useful. They slow fish respiration, and slow panic if the box is thrown, etc. A lot of shippers swear by a mild sedative, the famous blue tint in commercial shipments.
I find they work well with species that need higher oxygen levels, or if the shipper is concerned about possible delays. I always used the bag buddy version when I used to ship swordtails

USArmyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas have a habit of “playing dead” initially. They’ll even float upside down. I’d be careful about a prolonged drip acclimation. If that bag is full of ammonia you’re just prolonging suffering.
Had the same issue and reached out to the seller to let them know and then a day later he was chill lol

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue tinted stuff they add to the water is called methylene blue. It calms the fish down and is used to counter-act any possible cyanide poisoning from its capture. Also it’s not a good idea to use an air stone in the bag water because it raises the pH and ammonia is much more lethal at higher pH.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%

Back