Fish bridge/water bridge

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've recently consolidated a few of my smaller freshwater tanks into a 20g long and I now have an extra empty 10g. I suggested to my girlfriend that we turn the spare tank into a second nano reef as kind of a yin and yang idea. My current nano reef is running Hawaiian Black sand with about 10 pounds of rock, a hob with Chemi-Pure blue and fluval biomax.

The new tank would run a similar setup with a different rock layout and different sand (probably something along the lines of Fiji Pink). It would also have either a hob refugium or the same set up as the current nano reef.

This is where the idea gets fun. My girlfriend mentioned that she had seen a PVC pipe bridge between tanks to connect the two tanks but also allow the fish to swim between the tanks. I like the idea but I'm not sure if I could use the freshwater pipe bridge idea or if I'd have to find a way to have some flow or current through the bridge to prevent the water from being stagnant or becoming toxic in some way.

Anyone actually pulled this off on a saltwater tank before or have any things to consider that I might have overlooked?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is divided with a swim through between the two ends and due to higher return flow in the display there is a positive flow into the smaller end but this is with both ends having drains to a shared sump.
If both tanks have good flow you shouldn't have to worry about stagnation.

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is divided with a swim through between the two ends and due to higher return flow in the display there is a positive flow into the smaller end but this is with both ends having drains to a shared sump.
If both tanks have good flow you shouldn't have to worry about stagnation.
My plan is to use an inverted U shaped set up rather than trying to drill either one of the tanks. I have a Current USA eFlux 1050gph wave pump that I could aim into one side of the bridge to have some water movement. Would this create enough movement in the bridge without breaking the vacuum to keep the water in the pipe?

Kalipanther

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bridge between my 2 20 long refugium tanks. One with black sand-blasting sand. And the other one has white polite. The bridge works good, 2 u shaped clear tubes. Does not stagnate, but will build reside in top of water when tank is dirty or from foods. Clear tubing so I can monitor water flow. Not great because tubes turn green from algae. My problem is that my bridge always gets air bubbles and once a month I have to prime it. lol and the different color sands always end up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 56

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back