OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I need 2 more a360x so if any of you run up on a deal, let me know. The plan is to run 5 on the 12 foot (it has 5 openings on it and 4 cross braces).

I will run 1 a360we on the pool, 2 on the 187 and a custom setup (sort of) on the 625XXL and community tank.

I was just given a sweet Mid Century narrow credenza to put all my 3 printers on. VERY heavy so print quality will go up from less vibration than the metal shelves they are on.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke out the Walter White kit and mixed up another liter of All for Reef last night. So, I am now at 30ml a day and dKH holds steady at 7.9-8. I started out at 15 but, there has been really good growth over the last two months so, naturally, the dosage will increase. I got a little over a month out of this last batch. Even if I have to go through 2 liters a month, that's still only about $22 per. Given how easy it is to use and I only have to measure Alk every few days, I will stick with it.

I will, however, setup my doser finally and start spreading it out to three doses a day very soon. I have been using a graduated cylinder and dosing between 6 and 630 in the evening. When I measure Alk, it's just before dosing using a Hanna checker and every couple weeks a Salifert kit that my wife has to read for me since I am color blind. At the same time, I measure Mag and Calcium and about once a week pH all with Salifert. Sidenote: Since I installed the CO2 scrubber on my skimmer's air intake, my pH has been really good at 8-8.2. I measured about 3 times a day for about a week after installing it to see how it did. Before installing, it swung from 7.7(!) to 8.0 and never above that.

If dosing had been this easy 30 years ago (we didn't hardly measure anything but pH and temp back then) I can only imagine where I would be with corals today.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad when you gonna be ready for some macro????? Some gorg frags? Some mangroves sprouted in SW? and some RBTA? Some Stags? lol.

tempImagem3kHMm.png

tempImageq28pWC.png

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad when you gonna be ready for some macro????? Some gorg frags? Some mangroves sprouted in SW? and some RBTA? Some Stags? lol.

tempImagem3kHMm.png

tempImageq28pWC.png
All the above but the rbta I have splashes that keep splitting.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When can we meet up?
Would have to be a weekend, not sure yet on this weekend or next, but will check with the wife and report back. General Kristy, dictates what Major Steve does on non-work days lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that!

A little update:

The minisplit arrived way earlier than expected. :)

I have almost got the truck ready to roll out of the carport despite rotten weather and lack of help due to illness. Seems everyone just keeps getting sick lately.

I am determined to get this thing weather tight by the end of February.

Also, I am starting a new job on the 31st! I will only be 1.5 miles from the house. ;) AND I will be working with one of my best friends again. So stoked to not drive on Hwy 36 anymore after next week.

This will give me more time to work on things around the house and be able to come home for lunch instead of either battling for the microwave at work or eating out all the time.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the truck is out of the carport and we are having lumber delivered this weekend!

I am going today to pickup two stock tanks to house my buddy’s fish and live rock he’s gifting to me.

very excited! I have loved his regal since I first saw it.

the plan is a 140 stock tank that will become a home for the rays later on and filtered with a 27 gallon round that will house the skimmer, some rock, mangroves and macros. Then later, that will become a miracle mud mangrove pool.

hope that makes sense. I’ll take (very poor) photos as I go along. lol
this whole setup is going behind my couch for now so it’s out of walking paths and can’t get kicked.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the truck is out of the carport and we are having lumber delivered this weekend!

I am going today to pickup two stock tanks to house my buddy’s fish and live rock he’s gifting to me.

very excited! I have loved his regal since I first saw it.

the plan is a 140 stock tank that will become a home for the rays later on and filtered with a 27 gallon round that will house the skimmer, some rock, mangroves and macros. Then later, that will become a miracle mud mangrove pool.

hope that makes sense. I’ll take (very poor) photos as I go along. lol
this whole setup is going behind my couch for now so it’s out of walking paths and can’t get kicked.
Of course it makes sense lol.

You trying to be like me with a mangrove/macro lagoon lol.

tempImageS78uI6.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all try to be like you. None succeed.
lol.
I am that extra speical bit of crazy, so that is the challenging part. Everything else is simple. Just hard to be a complete nut-job...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, sadly, I blew up the camry. I loved that car. But 330K miles with me behind the wheel is too much for any gasoline vehicle to take. So, I bought a prius off my buddy for cheap because, as of this coming Monday, my commute will be 1.5 miles. :)

Anyhow, I discovered the prius is a worthy fish car today:

tubincar.jpg

tubincar2.jpg

Yes, my friends, that is a 140 gallon horse through that will temporarily house the fish and rock from my buddy and then become the ray pool.

LOL!

She's a keeper!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock tank with filter bucket is setup and salt is in. It's few degrees low so I will wait until right before bed to check salinity and adjust if necessary. Tomorrow afternoon I get the fish, rock and some of their water to go in with them. Same salt. The owner gave me two new buckets of Tropic Marin.

This setup is filtered by the rock, pinky filter and a curve 9 Elite. Currently there is 1100 watts of titanium heaters on it but that will go down to 600 watts once it's up to temp. It's lit by a single a360we on a cable hanger because there aren't any corals to speak of on the rock. Although I am seriously considering moving my Hollywood Stunner into it because it's getting way too much light IMO in the 75.

tubwithsaltwater.jpg

I will take more pics after everyone settles in. Again, this is a temporary situation until the building is done and then they get split up between the 187 they came from, the stock tank and the 12 foot tank. I only currently have 7 fish in a 75 and a 20H fuge under it.

BTW, lumber got delayed until Tuesday. :(

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish and rock are in. There was also 3 bubble tips, 3 urchins and a cleaner shrimp.

I put 4 of the fish in the 75 because there were only 4 in there. There was a total of 21 fish!!! :) I will NOT be buying any marine fish for the fish room.

As soon as they aren't as shy, I will take pics. I have to say that I really like the top down view.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back