Fish Chasing New Fish

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added a wrasse yesterday. Since ive added this fish to the tank, my coral beauty has been chasing it every so often. From what I can tell, it looks like the coral beauty has made contact at least once with the side of the wrasse. Ive never added a fish and this chasing has lasted this long, but my main lights went off last night after a hour being added to the tank. Ive been gone all day and just got home and its still going on. Will this stop or do I need to remove one of the fish? My wrasse is just staying in one corner of tank and the coral beauty will come by and chase him every so often. Is this a normal thing or will it never stop?

SPSjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it is normal for the first day then usually goes away.It happens with tangs alot.A little trick I do is when I introduce a new fish I feed the tank at the same time.This makes the pre=existing fish in the tank see the new fish as a positive things becuase the get food out of the deal.I added a naso and a blue spot unicorn this way last week and there was no agression from the other fish.Also did it with my copperband this past week with no fighting or chasing at all.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it persists, you may want to switch up the rock work a bit. It may help to shake things up for the angel. This can make it easier for the wrasse to transition to the tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put a large mirror up next to the glass for a few days. The rowdy fish will hate the look of himself more. :) Seriously this works at times.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i did. none of it worked.
I am so sorry it didn't work out. Another thought, if you decide to try again some day, is to take out the angel and the foxface, put them in a quarantine tank for a few days and let the new guy have a chance to get a handle on the new place, and then re-add the angel and foxface.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it didn't work out. I like Squishie's suggestion with putting the angel and foxface in quarantine. I would also switch up the rock work in the DT. This will make everything new to the angel and the foxface while the new addition is accustomed to the tank. It might make things easier for the new fish.

logansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the tank and what fish are in it? If your overcrowding the tank then no matter what/how you add any new fish it wont work out for someone,usually the new fish. Foxfaces are not normally bullies. Or at least none that i have seen. They are very passive fish

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking them out removes them from their territory while the new fish settles in. Then they become the newcomers and are less likely to be chasing the other fish .

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how big is the tank and what fish are in it? If your overcrowding the tank then no matter what/how you add any new fish it wont work out for someone,usually the new fish. Foxfaces are not normally bullies. Or at least none that i have seen. They are very passive fish

its a 75 gallon tank with 4 fish in it. coral beauty, foxface, firefish goby and a black/white clown. had plenty of room to add another fish.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

i dont know thou. these fish have been together for a year now. maybe i should have added a new fish alot sooner. who knows thou. gonna upgrade my 29 gallon to a 50 gallon rimless and im gonna move the coral beauty in that tank.

logansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im suprised your having problems, your def not overstocked. The beauty can be a bully but im still suprised about the foxface.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im suprised your having problems, your def not overstocked. The beauty can be a bully but im still suprised about the foxface.

Thought id share the news. I got home from thanksgiving dinner with my family to find my foxface stuck in my korila. foxface was still alive when i removed him but 15 mins later he was gone. So down to 3 fish now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back