Fish Considerations Shallow Tanks

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just finished setting up and cycling my 90 gallon tank which has dimensions of 4ft by 3 ft by 1 ft. I am planning to get a yellow tang a school of chromis and a couple of wrasse ( carpenters and exquisite fairy) to stock it with. I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on my current list or if there were any fish not suited to a shallow tank.

Also any general comments for fish people believes are well suited to shallow tanks or that people have enjoyed in shallow tanks would also be useful

Thank You

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just finished setting up and cycling my 90 gallon tank which has dimensions of 4ft by 3 ft by 1 ft. I am planning to get a yellow tang a school of chromis and a couple of wrasse ( carpenters and exquisite fairy) to stock it with. I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on my current list or if there were any fish not suited to a shallow tank.

Also any general comments for fish people believes are well suited to shallow tanks or that people have enjoyed in shallow tanks would also be useful

Thank You
Covered?
Wrasses that are not yellow coris don't do well in my shallow 60g.
Everything else is fine however. I am struggling with corals in this tank however but in terms of fish most are fine with a cover.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a dwarf angel would be very happy in a shallow tank like that. My tank is 1’ tall and my dwarf has been very happy. I’ve had the best luck with cherubs and flamebacks regarding coral nipping

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covered?
Wrasses that are not yellow coris don't do well in my shallow 60g.
Everything else is fine however. I am struggling with corals in this tank however but in terms of fish most are fine with a cover.
Yes the tank is covered, thank you for the advice, ill look into the yellow coris. Why do you think other wrasses dont do as well?

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a dwarf angel would be very happy in a shallow tank like that. My tank is 1’ tall and my dwarf has been very happy. I’ve had the best luck with cherubs and flamebacks regarding coral nipping
Thank you for the advice i will look into those species i have always liked dwarf angelfish. Probably wouldnt want to add these fish till the end?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice i will look into those species i have always liked dwarf angelfish. Probably wouldnt want to add these fish till the end?
Depends on what else you end up wanting to add, it also depends on the species. Cherubs and flamebacks are super peaceful and flames are a little more territorial. We can help you out with that after you pick a species :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, my heart would say flame but my head says one of the other two, I have a flame in approx 125 custom low so a good footprint and wouldn't put her in less, very busy fish.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank is covered, thank you for the advice, ill look into the yellow coris. Why do you think other wrasses dont do as well?
Jumping too much. All other fish that I have including firefish don't jump frequently enough to damage themselves. My flasher wrasse and others that I have seen tend to take enough leaps to bang on a lid enough to cause damage.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping too much. All other fish that I have including firefish don't jump frequently enough to damage themselves. My flasher wrasse and others that I have seen tend to take enough leaps to bang on a lid enough to cause damage.

That is interesting, I knew that wrasse's liked to jump a lot but did not know they would jump so frequently as to hurt themselves.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with wrasses in shallow tank?

I also wonder why it is that wrasse's are so prone to jumping? Do they use jumping as a method to escape predators in the wild?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting, I knew that wrasse's liked to jump a lot but did not know they would jump so frequently as to hurt themselves.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with wrasses in shallow tank?

I also wonder why it is that wrasse's are so prone to jumping? Do they use jumping as a method to escape predators in the wild?
My flasher wrasses jump until they have a nice abrasion then they either get sick or my clownfish pick them off.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back