Fish dieing

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the last week or two i have had 2 or 3 fish pass away. don't think anything is wrong with tank because all the corals still look healthy. i have not tested water because i do not have a test kit right now. do u guys and gals think this is just a coincidence or could something be wrong. if so what? the fish that died are engineer goby, sailfin tang, and a mandarin.

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take water sample to local fish stor and have them test your water asap.

Yes, something is wrong. Fish dont do suicide cults.

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your water checked ASAP...seems like there is definitely something wrong with the water. Also post more info...how long is the tank running, size, equipment, etc. To run a saltwater tank without a test kit is merely inviting problems to visit.

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be a disease that was contracted. Did you introduce a new fish without a quarantine? What other fish are in there? Was the mandarin prepared food trained and did it die of starvation? If it wasn't was there enough food in there? How old was the sailfin tang and how big? Maybe stress and everything dying was just a coincidence? Sorry to hear the losses, I know how you feel, sucks to lose stuff you care about. Good Luck!

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a stress thing...50 gallon tank (if I'm reading that right) is kind of small for a sailfin tang unless it was very little . I could very easily be a bacterial thing and that would not show up on any water tests you take. All fish carry various bacteria in there bodies that they can keep in check when healthy...then a little bit of stress and BAM...dead fish...if the others picked on the body before you got it out, it could be passed on to them. Just a thought....

Back