Fish dying from copper

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing cupramine two days ago, and im slowly raising it. The other fishes in the other qt tanks are doing ok. In one of the tanks though, there is a bannerfish. My bannerfish is laying on the bottom of the tank. The bannerfish is suffering from a bad case of ich. Im not sure what to do, im not sure is it because of the ich or the copper. So im thinking that i should change the water. Is this the right choice though? Im not sure what to do.

I also have a fourth qt tank already cycled just in case anything goes wrong, should i move the fish to this unmedicated tank or will it cause more shock?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring down the copper levels and raise it even slower. If the Ich is really bad on it though that could be the cause as well

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring down the copper levels and raise it even slower. If the Ich is really bad on it though that could be the cause as well
If i bring it down, will the ich get any worse?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, about a day ago i noticed there was a little wound, although i just thought that that was because he scratched himself on something. But now its spreading.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's ich, velvet looks kind of similar and usually kills fast. I've got a bannerfish currently in cupramine @ 0.45 copper & he's doing fine. Never stopped eating while raising the level.

How high do you have the copper? Also, how are you checking it? I had plenty of issues testing copper until I got the Hanna Checker, it's pretty much a must.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's ich, velvet looks kind of similar and usually kills fast. I've got a bannerfish currently in cupramine @ 0.45 copper & he's doing fine. Never stopped eating while raising the level.

How high do you have the copper? Also, how are you checking it? I had plenty of issues testing copper until I got the Hanna Checker, it's pretty much a must.
I have it on 0.45 too, i am using the salifert test kit. Im not sure, although i have had both ich and marine velvet (killed all my fish, thats why im quarantining from now on). One other fish in my other quarantine tank has the same thing and they are doing great since the copper. i think it might be ich, not 100% sure though.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on 0.45 too, i am using the salifert test kit. Im not sure, although i have had both ich and marine velvet (killed all my fish, thats why im quarantining from now on). One other fish in my other quarantine tank has the same thing and they are doing great since the copper. i think it might be ich, not 100% sure though.

How are you able to say 0.45 using saliftert? I love salifert and used their copper test kit a lot but switched too hanna and my idea of 0.5 shade of blue was not actually 0.5 . Tough to pay the money for something that wont be used that often but it is necessary imo, especially with cupramine where the target window is so narrow, you could be much higher then you think, just my thoughts.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you able to say 0.45 using saliftert? I love salifert and used their copper test kit a lot but switched too hanna and my idea of 0.5 shade of blue was not actually 0.5 . Tough to pay the money for something that wont be used that often but it is necessary imo, especially with cupramine where the target window is so narrow, you could be much higher then you think, just my thoughts.
Well i just estimated the outcome, its around that, since its between the colors. Im not sure if im accurate though, i guess getting the hanna checker is going to be worth it after all. I own some hanna checkers for my nano reef tank and its been working great, guess im gonna get another one.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i just estimated the outcome, its around that, since its between the colors. Im not sure if im accurate though, i guess getting the hanna checker is going to be worth it after all. I own some hanna checkers for my nano reef tank and its been working great, guess im gonna get another one.

Ya thats what I am saying. You have to guess and what I thought looked exactly like the 0.5ppm blue shade they provide I was off. It was worth it to me:)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back