Fish dying

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to humblefish Formalin 37% is used to treat brook

2) 30-60 minute bath treatment: 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. Aerate vigorously and treat at this concentration for approximately 45 minutes. You can actually treat for a maximum of 60 minutes if the fish seems to be handling the bath fine, but cut it short (30 minutes) if breathing becomes too heavy.

These are other products which contain formaldehyde (e.g. Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus), but because these contain less than 37% formaldehyde their effectiveness is difficult to predict.

Formalin is best administered in a bath solution for 30-45 minutes. The bath is best done in a large glass bowl or container, but a plastic bucket is fine as well. (However, keep in mind that plastic may absorb some of the medication and then leach it back out during future use.)

Temperature/pH/salinity of the bath water should match the tank the fish is coming from (and going into afterwards.) It is very important to heavily aerate the bath for at least 30 minutes before and also during treatment to compensate for oxygen depletion. The fish should be placed in a premixed bath solution. DO NOT add more formalin after the fish is already in the bath.

It is important to always transfer the fish into a new/sterile quarantine tank (QT) post bath. Returning the fish to the same tank you took him out of will just result in reinfection. It is also impossible to determine if just one formalin bath will result in 100% eradication of the pathogen you are trying to eliminate. Therefore, it is wise to do follow-up treatment in a QT:

1) Velvet: Copper or Chloroquine phosphate for 30 days.
2) Brook & Uronema: Metronidazole (e.g. Seachem Metroplex) or Chloroquine phosphate for 14 days.
3) Flukes & Black Ich: Prazipro or another formalin bath 5-7 days later.

It is also possible to achieve 100% eradication with repeat formalin baths, but it’s important to give the fish 48 hours to recuperate in-between baths. Post bath, always transfer the fish into a new/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. And observe closely for at least 30 days to be sure the fish is 100% disease-free.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a google search for Formalin 37% and it does not look like you will be able to get this shipped to you fast enough but maybe? Anyone know if there is a product that contains formalin at 37%? If not will Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus work for Brook? If so you may be able to get one of these shipped next day air which I think you will have to do considering how fast brook can kill. Until it arrives maybe just do a RO bath once a day?

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a google search for Formalin 37% and it does not look like you will be able to get this shipped to you fast enough but maybe? Anyone know if there is a product that contains formalin at 37%? If not will Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus work for Brook? If so you may be able to get one of these shipped next day air which I think you will have to do considering how fast brook can kill. Until it arrives maybe just do a RO bath once a day?
Do I really need it I think the sickness is gone I think it may need time to heal unless I’m totally wrong on this

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I really need it I think the sickness is gone I think it may need time to heal unless I’m totally wrong on this
To be honest with you I do not know I have only had to treat a fish with internal parasites but the fins look like it might be in a more advanced state of brook

C017113C-14B2-4A14-9389-FB32E54CDE41.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have an isolation box, or a container you can put holes in ,to keep off bottom ,get more flow at top?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how is he doing?

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back