Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

So I was wondering on what I can stock in my 90 gallon.

Here is my current stocking:
1- Yellow Tang
1- Jewel damsel
1- Yello tail damsel (small)
2- Clownfish Ocellaris

I was looking for vibrant and colorful fish! Also decently active. I saw one of these at my lfs but did not purchase it as I had not researched enough about it.
Red Coris Wrasse - Wrasses - Saltwater Fish

But you get the idea! VIBRANT is what I'm going for. Must be reef safe too!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at lunar wrasse, they're pretty colorful. But it all depends on the type of tank you're going for. A lot of the wrasses are vibrant colors, so are triggers.
I purchase fish on line from saltwater fish.com . KPAquatics is another place.
My local fish stores are pretty slim on fish.

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at lunar wrasse, they're pretty colorful. But it all depends on the type of tank you're going for. A lot of the wrasses are vibrant colors, so are triggers.
I purchase fish on line from saltwater fish.com . KPAquatics is another place.
My local fish stores are pretty slim on fish.

They look awesome! I’m kind of tied to a budget though (under $50) and these guys look like they’ll break the bank

IamPhins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Mandalorian Goby. Yes, I know that's not the correct name, but we're sci-fi geeks so deal with it. I will be looking for suggestions on Baby Yoda fish in a separate thread.

So back to Mando ..... this thing is awesome, but to feel like I was being a responsible pet owner, I had to spend about $100 building a fuge to grow copapods for it. It seems like it spends as much time checking me out as I do it, and it definitely pops with color.

If you can either establish an adequate pod population, or get a captive bred one that feeds on purchased food then I would highly recommend one.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An adult Coris gaimard will not work well in a 90. Really pretty fish though.
Lunar wrasse gets bigger yet, and mean.

Halicheores genus wrasses are ones to look at: chrysus (yellow), melanurus, biocellatus, and others.
Or pretty much any fairy or flasher wrasse will work, and you can mix several.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the lunare wrasse I had was an adult in with orbic batfish and it never bothered them. But every fish is different.

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Mandalorian Goby. Yes, I know that's not the correct name, but we're sci-fi geeks so deal with it. I will be looking for suggestions on Baby Yoda fish in a separate thread.

So back to Mando ..... this thing is awesome, but to feel like I was being a responsible pet owner, I had to spend about $100 building a fuge to grow copapods for it. It seems like it spends as much time checking me out as I do it, and it definitely pops with color.

If you can either establish an adequate pod population, or get a captive bred one that feeds on purchased food then I would highly recommend one.
I love dragonets! I would love to put one in. I just need to put chaeto and pods in my refugium (it's just running without anything in it...)

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care Level:Moderate
Temperament:Peaceful
Diet:Carnivore
Reef Safe:No
Minimum Tank Size:75 Gallons
Max Size:10 inches
This is saltwater fish care facts for lunare wrasse

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used under gravel filtration systems and hob. There was skimmers and UV light system back than. More of a hands off approach for fowlr systems. My tank thrived until I tore it down, because I enlisted in the Marine corps. Had seahorses that had ponies, star fish, mandrins, etc.

Prices were similar to today, given the cost of everything. I think I paid $40 for a Rusty Angel, even had a juvenile Koran Angel at one point.

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used under gravel filtration systems and hob. There was skimmers and UV light system back than. More of a hands off approach for fowlr systems. My tank thrived until I tore it down, because I enlisted in the Marine corps. Had seahorses that had ponies, star fish, mandrins, etc.

Prices were similar to today, given the cost of everything. I think I paid $40 for a Rusty Angel, even had a juvenile Koran Angel at one point.
Wow! Very fascinating.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for vibrant and colorful fish! Also decently active. I saw one of these at my lfs but did not purchase it as I had not researched enough about it.
Red Coris Wrasse - Wrasses - Saltwater Fish

But you get the idea! VIBRANT is what I'm going for. Must be reef safe too!

Get this fish!! It's true that a full grown adult would be a disaster in any tank less than 8 ft long. That being said, I have never seen one in a home reef tank even close to the size of the ones I see in the ocean. If you feed appropriately you can keep this fish under 5-6 inches for many years.

I would add him last though. Once the fish got established in my tank it was an absolute terror to any new fish, not just other wrasse. I kept mine in a 4x2 120g that was packed with rock so probably fairly similar swimming area to your 90. I feed sparingly so it took mine about 2 years to really show any visible transition to adult color. Once that started it took another couple years to reach something similar to what you see in your pic.

Please note that the adult pic you have is not a full transition. The front part will lose most of that orange and be a greenish/brown tint. Still a beautiful fish and one of my favorites to see while snorkeling.

Also know that your sand bed will be a main feeding ground. I ended up getting rid of my red coris as it kept constantly burying frags and rock nems that were on the sand bed as it looked for worms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back