Fish Gill Disease ID

ReefingTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help identify and advise of what are these on the fish gill. Thanks.

1669847096934.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you give more history - there is a link in my signature - with a list of questions. It could be several things

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!

Looks like eggs of course, but I can’t tell you from what. Copepods produce egg sacs that hang out like that, but the eggs are much smaller.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting!

Looks like eggs of course, but I can’t tell you from what. Copepods produce egg sacs that hang out like that, but the eggs are much smaller.
interesting - I thought of a possible malignancy - vs - some massive inflammatory response. But - a malignancy would not develop 'quickly'.

OP
OP
ReefingTom

ReefingTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Tank is a 100 gallon mix reef tank thats about 9 months old now. Been battling dinos and doing like 10 day blackouts. Temperature is currently at 82 degrees. All parameters should be fine for fish. I have clowns, powder tang, white tail tang, cardinals, and they are doing okay. Lost a handful of corals in the process so far. Just uncovered my tank from the blackout yesterday and noticed the egglike sack on the gill. This occurrence should be fairly recent.

Also just lost a royal gramma today not sure what happened. It seems to have been chased by the tang and got some bacterial infection from the injuries that never healed for over a month. It had a small white pale patch for a while. It was eating fine yesterday.

OP
OP
ReefingTom

ReefingTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling to catch this guy in the net for freshwater dip. Will try again tomorrow when I feed it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow second one with eggs coming through. At least you know its a male holding the eggs.

OP
OP
ReefingTom

ReefingTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right. It might be cardinal eggs. This fish always has a weird looking jaw occasionally. The funny thing is that the other two cardinal are pajamas cardinal. Guess he still can carry their eggs.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right. It might be cardinal eggs. This fish always has a weird looking jaw occasionally. The funny thing is that the other two cardinal are pajamas cardinal. Guess he still can carry their eggs.
Those are too small to be bangaii cardinal fish eggs. Here is a thought though- maybe this cardinal ate an egg mass from the pj cardinals and it is coming out the gill? I’ve had cases of smelt eggs getting stuck on a fish’s gill raker when they tried to eat them.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back