Not open for further replies.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can ID this fish? I'm in love with it and they have a couple at my lfs. The squared off face shape makes me rule out angels, but I'm not sure. The body certainly reminds me of a fathead Anthias, just a completely different color scheme!

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you for your time!

Best Regards

90352bda3d1226a6f8dcdb26223025b8.png

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can ID this fish? I'm in love with it and they have a couple at my lfs. The squared off face shape makes me rule out angels, but I'm not sure. The body certainly reminds me of a fathead Anthias, just a completely different color scheme!

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you for your time!

Best Regards

90352bda3d1226a6f8dcdb26223025b8.png
Female Genicathus watanabi. It's a species of reef-safe swallowtail angelfish.

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost look like a juvi watanabei angel fish (Genicanthus watanabei). Awesome looking fish.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above lovely species, males are quite different in appearance.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Do you know what size they will reach?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind, looks like most resources say they get to 7" and need about 120 gallons with a lot of open swimming space. Much too big for my little 45 cube! Haha. Gorgeous fish though...

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Eatbreakfast, my screen didn't refresh in time to see your response!

Thank you!

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people insist on taking pics of fish out of the water as if it makes it more believable that it exists or taking the pic of the fish in the bag or a container is somehow sketchy?! SMDH!!!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just gently scoop it up just out of the water so they can guarantee a still picture and decent lighting. I don't think it is damaging for the fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just gently scoop it up just out of the water so they can guarantee a still picture and decent lighting. I don't think it is damaging for the fish.
It's not a big deal. Some people just are needlessly sensitive about it for some reason.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is stressful, I guarantee that
So is the process of shipping, acclimation, and getting caught to be sold. And since that type of picture taking is almost exclusively done in the acclimation process, it isn't having any real affect on the fish.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a big deal. Some people just are needlessly sensitive about it for some reason.
Saying "it's not a big deal" is just silly, anything that needlessly stresses a fish out shouldn't be looked upon as NO BIG DEAL. I've been in this business for over 20 years and seen how animals are handled at collection stations, at the wholesalers, and how they're treated at the retail level, and all too many see it as NO BIG DEAL as well because it's just a fish. I know it's not going to kill the guy (in general) for a quick photo op but it is stress on the fish, and I still don't know why a photo out of the water is better than one in the water, barring the stress, I'd just much prefer a pic of the fish in the water where you can see any flaws, damage, or alertness.

I had went to a Walt Smith wholesale location to see what they had, to my utter joy I found a baby Pinecone fish barely the size of a quarter, so I asked if it was eating and did they have any live food to show me. Well, the manager came back with some frozen shrimp, of course I knew it most likely wasn't going to eat that but give it a try, maybe it'll look at it to give me some confidence of buying it at the $200 price tag. So of course it didn't eat or look at it, and after standing their for 5 or 6 minutes of nothing, she grabs it with her hand (mind you this is the manager of the fish section) and just dumps into the next cube over, then proceeds to try and feed it again as if the next cube would encourage it to eat, WHAT THE . . . ?! Least to say after I picked my jaw up from the floor I just went about my business. My point is there's plenty of that in the chain of custody throughout this business, so when I see it, I'm saying something, and for YOU with all your badges or whatever they award you on this site for participation and contributions, that statement of "IT'S NO BIG DEAL" is very surprising. There's only one lfs out of 10 that I can go to where 40% to 90% of the fish aren't sick and suffering from poor care, really neglect. So call me sensitive, but I'll always speak up about it, there's already too much of this nonchalance attitude in this business.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quantify the issue. How much added stress? For how long? What happens to fish that are photographed that way? Is there outcome any different than fish aren't photo'd that way? It is unlikely there is any affect. So than why make a big deal out of it?

Is the supply chain more stressful than getting into a reef? A picture is used to move that fish out of the supply chain faster. The intent of the person taking the pic may not be to remove stress sooner, but if it ends up in a reef tank sooner, than it serves the purpose of causing less overall stress to the fish in the long run.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying "it's not a big deal" is just silly, anything that needlessly stresses a fish out shouldn't be looked upon as NO BIG DEAL. I've been in this business for over 20 years and seen how animals are handled at collection stations, at the wholesalers, and how they're treated at the retail level, and all too many see it as NO BIG DEAL as well because it's just a fish. I know it's not going to kill the guy (in general) for a quick photo op but it is stress on the fish, and I still don't know why a photo out of the water is better than one in the water, barring the stress, I'd just much prefer a pic of the fish in the water where you can see any flaws, damage, or alertness.

I had went to a Walt Smith wholesale location to see what they had, to my utter joy I found a baby Pinecone fish barely the size of a quarter, so I asked if it was eating and did they have any live food to show me. Well, the manager came back with some frozen shrimp, of course I knew it most likely wasn't going to eat that but give it a try, maybe it'll look at it to give me some confidence of buying it at the $200 price tag. So of course it didn't eat or look at it, and after standing their for 5 or 6 minutes of nothing, she grabs it with her hand (mind you this is the manager of the fish section) and just dumps into the next cube over, then proceeds to try and feed it again as if the next cube would encourage it to eat, WHAT THE . . . ?! Least to say after I picked my jaw up from the floor I just went about my business. My point is there's plenty of that in the chain of custody throughout this business, so when I see it, I'm saying something, and for YOU with all your badges or whatever they award you on this site for participation and contributions, that statement of "IT'S NO BIG DEAL" is very surprising. There's only one lfs out of 10 that I can go to where 40% to 90% of the fish aren't sick and suffering from poor care, really neglect. So call me sensitive, but I'll always speak up about it, there's already too much of this nonchalance attitude in this business.

I respect your rant, and again, don't disagree. I just know my LFS owner and know that they care for their livestock very responsibly. I felt the need to reply.

Best Regards

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So is the process of shipping, acclimation, and getting caught to be sold. And since that type of picture taking is almost exclusively done in the acclimation process, it isn't having any real affect on the fish.

So quantify the issue. How much added stress? For how long? What happens to fish that are photographed that way? Is there outcome any different than fish aren't photo'd that way? It is unlikely there is any affect. So than why make a big deal out of it?

Is the supply chain more stressful than getting into a reef? A picture is used to move that fish out of the supply chain faster. The intent of the person taking the pic may not be to remove stress sooner, but if it ends up in a reef tank sooner, than it serves the purpose of causing less overall stress to the fish in the long run.

Thanks for the diatribe....

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're really being irresponsible by defending you're initial statement, "how much added stress", are you kidding me?! STRESS IS STRESS, are you really asking me a measurement or a sum, stop being petty, you shouldn't be touting it's no big deal, PERIOD. I've seen fish go into cardiac arrest right after introduction to the tank, without the photo op. I would never buy a fish based on someone holding it out of the water for a pic, and that has nothing to do with the stress of the situation, it's because you can't tell anything about it's health out of the water, that has always been my first question, how is that pic suppose to sell me? Are you telling me that's how you select a healthy fish, a pic out of the water solidifies the deal, I hardly think so, if it's eating and healthy then I'm pretty sure it's going to sell to the interested party with an in-water pic and a trusted seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back