Fish ideas for a nano macroalgae display tank

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about setting up a nano macroalgae tank in my 10 gallon waterbox. I may choose to stick to inverts only but I was considering a clown goby, a neon goby, or a masked goby. Wondering if anyone had any other ideas for some smaller fish that might do well in this type of system?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh I love this question! Personally, with my own macro tank, I'm taking the opportunity to harbor live feeding fish, such as mandarins, pipefish, and other dragonets or pipefish adjacent fish. Will also add to my suggestions my favorite live feeding fish is the discordipinna genus, specifically the spikefin goby. Macro tanks are like giant refugiums, though I'm not sure about your success in a ten gallon. You could also go with nano wrasses like the wetmorella genus (personally a fan of the possum wrasse).

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about setting up a nano macroalgae tank in my 10 gallon waterbox. I may choose to stick to inverts only but I was considering a clown goby, a neon goby, or a masked goby. Wondering if anyone had any other ideas for some smaller fish that might do well in this type of system?
Saltwaterandlime, I want an icy margarita (or classic daiquiri) every time I see that name! Love it.

Please be just as careful with inverts choice, as you are careful with your fish choice!
Some inverts love the macros just as much as we do! Lol.

I have a 30gal tank, designated macroalgae, with a gorgonian and orange tree sponge... and some macro-hungry inverts.

My Scarlet Hermit crab decimated my halimeda (2x dif species) and my Camel Shrimp wiped out a patch of this purple carpeting algae as well as the dwarf dead man's fingers (codium species) that I have introduced to the tank.
My Camel Shrimp also picks hard on the caulerpa, but it grows fast enough that he'll never wipe it out! Lol.

I have never seen my snails (nassarius, nerite, trochus, cerith) eat any of my desirable algae!
So, heck yes to clean up crew, but I recommend snails primarily..

And if you'd like to try crabs/shrimp, try sexy shrimp (stay small, so great for 10gal) and some porcelain crab (filter feeders) so that you don't lose any beloved MACROALGAE!

As far as fish, can't go wrong with blennies, small gobies, a small species basslet, and don't look past the assortment of ocellaris clownfish being tank bred these days.. they are popular for good reason! Variety of patterns, active lifestyle, not picky eaters, personality, and tank bred (more tolerant to aquarium life and parameter swings).

Keep crushing it. Hope to see some macroalgae tank shots from ya in the future.. and I'll TRY to do the same. :)

Cheers, Drew

Attachments

• 20221114_112921.jpg
    20221114_112921.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 33

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this thread (oops) however, here;
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia
- Wetmorella tanakai
- Wetmorella albofasciata
- Wetmorella nigropinnata
- Discordipinna griessingeri
- Lotilia graciliosa
- Stonogobiops yasha
- Stonogobiops nematodes
- Stonogobiops dracula
- Trimma rubromaculatum
- Trimma tevegae
- Trimma caudomaculatum
- Trimma striatum
- Eviota atriventis
- Eviota brahmi
- Eviota sebreei
- Eviota bifasciata

This is just a small list but there are many fish out there that fit into smaller tanks, obviously some will be much more expensive than others but that list should have a range of fish from being cheaper to more expensive. In reality, the final pick is your pick!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you set it up? I vote a purple reef lobster! I have one in a dedicated nano and I love the little guy. But know they are nocturnal and don’t really ever come out. I made my rock structure so I could see him because of this.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back