Fish in refugium?

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any small fish that could live in a 14.5" X 15.5" 9inches water level refugium section in a Trigger system sump? I am planning on growing a couple mangroves and place a few small rocks with snail shell rubble for copepods. Any small goby or blenny be happy? It is Eurobraced to help with jumpers. Thanks in advance.

00sevenless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this. The advice that was given to me is that refugiums are for nutrient export. Putting fish or snails in them can create more nutrients so its counter productive.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Bangaii Cardinals in my refugium. It's had no impact on my pods. The display tank is covered in pods at night. I had to put the cardinals in the sump when I took down their tank since the DT has larger, meaner fish. It's worked out great.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this. The advice that was given to me is that refugiums are for nutrient export. Putting fish or snails in them can create more nutrients so its counter productive.

refugiums can be for many things. Nutrient export is one, a safe haven for pods another. Either way having fish down there is counter productive. It certainly can be done just realize you’re doing it because you want to, not because it makes sense.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refugiums can be for many things. Nutrient export is one, a safe haven for pods another. Either way having fish down there is counter productive. It certainly can be done just realize you’re doing it because you want to, not because it makes sense.

Its more a frag area then refugium. I'll have only the mangroves, but with added flow and lighting for a frag rack. I sure would like to have another fish if possible.

Worthy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree its counter productive at all. Your tank will deal with the nutrient export regardless of where the nutrients are coming from. Its a closed loop system. It will deal with it whether a fish is added to the refugium, the tank, the overflow or wherever. I also don't think a fish will wipe out pods before they reach the tank. I have seen plenty of tanks with fish in the refugium.

I don't see any issues with it except for swimming room and another place to have to feed.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have killifish in my refugium. They hate high flow so I out them down there. Plus they take care of uneaten chunks of food, plus eat algae off the glass. I bred them in my tank 8 months ago, I'm hoping they'll breed by January or February

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more a frag area then refugium. I'll have only the mangroves, but with added flow and lighting for a frag rack. I sure would like to have another fish if possible.
It’s possible. And if you’re not intending to use it like a fuge then shouldn’t be a problem to add a fish.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini puffer in my sump. I upgraded my lights and had a big algae outbreak, so need him to leave some snails alone for a while. He seems pretty happy in there picking off whatever little morsels. Most of my (visible) copepods are in a different section that he can’t get to.

I used to have some tiny fingernails size maroon clowns in there and “baby proofed” the section leading from my refugium to the return chamber with some plastic craft mesh.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread, but I came across this at Algae Barn and was wondering if/why this was worth considering.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back