OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarins WILL BE a male and female.

Cardinals I was thinking long spine as I can have 5 and they'll be fine.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why I said that is your statement that "it would be cool to have a male and a female" referencing the mandarin. Not only would it be cool but it is a must. I can't emphasize how important it is to have a mix of male and female if you have a pair. The male on male mandarin aggression is the worst aggression I have ever seen between any fish and my tank is six feet long, two feet wide, 2 and half feet tall with a ton of rocks. The beating never stops, the fish I pulled out was so bad I reached in with my bare hands and pulled it out. Try and do that with a healthy mandarin.

Last edited:

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't see the dwarf part. Less of a risk then. I think the shrimp will be goners for sure. If you forget to feed for a bit the eel will find food :).

I'm on my phone....

Yep. I kept a golden moray for years and lost it in a recent move. If anything, It will eat your shrimp if they are small enough and he can catch them. I had one eat a cleaner shrimp - I think - as I had one doing very well disappear and saw the eel chasing him :). Mine would also occasionally nip at sleeping fish fins, but never ate any of my fish, that I know of. Keep him fed. They are awesome animals !!!

As for your list, looks like you have a good chance that everything will get along....in my experience. The tank will be crowed, but you may get away with it with lots of water changes. As for the skimmer, I run a reef octupus rated for 400g on my 120g system (about 200gallons water), and keep about 12 fish.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two golden dwarf morays, and they do not mess with anything. In fact two cleaner shrimp live directly in front of their hole and it can be a PIA to feed them because the shrimp steal it. I also have small fish that are ignored, the golden dwarf eels completely mind their own business.

The eels get fed about once every ten days or when they start showing themselves more, they really are not out in the open all that much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well here's an update on the fish I currently have in QT.

Whitetail Bristletooth tang - got lucky and Gonzo found it when he was hand picking corals earlier this week. It looks sweet.
Saddleback Butterfly - happened to get on Live Aquaria when they actually had one in stock. Beautiful colors.
Tibecan Dwarf Angel - he was a good pricewhen I ordered the butterfly. Figured if I was going to pay for shipping I should get at least 2 fish.

All of these guys are doing really good so far. Just added the tang last night. He's quite a bit bigger than the butterfly and dwarf, but they seem to be getting along just fine. Looking to add some anthias, cardinals, and some others. Not sure if I'm going to stick with the 2 big schools, or go for more variety of fish and colors. Gonzo has some insane leopard wrasses and a couple flashers that look great.

Just thought you guys might like an update.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider some flasher or fairly wrasses. They would be a great active addition.

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd nix the eel - even if its a dwarf eel it could still eat your fish and shrimp. The melanarus wrasse might also go after your shrimp. And in a 4' tank, I'd worry a tiny bit about the jawfish, mandarins, and leopard wrasse competing for sand space, but it might be fine as long as you have a decent sand bed and places for each to establish territory. Finally, acquiring the white-tailed bristletooth tang could prove challenging - as far as I know people have been waiting for over a year for Live Aquaria to actually get one in, even though its listed as "new" on the site - I'm one that's been waiting and also have my LFSs checking weekly wholesale lists for one!

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo, just saw you got the white-tailed bristletooth - I'm completely jealous!!! Congratulations on the find :D I have no idea how to edit my previous post otherwise would!

OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, few changes. As you know the butterfly died on me. Still not sure why. Anyway, here are the fish I'll have when I get the tank setup.

Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
Tibecan Dwarf Angel
Bluestripped Rabbitfish
Kleins Angel
Carpenters wrasse
Basslet
Dragonface pipefish - pair
Red Mandarin

I'm really considering putting in 1-2 other dwarf angels when I put the Tibecan in the tank. I had a couple in my 29g that got along fine, just added them at the same time. I'm going to do either a Flame or Potters. Maybe both, just haven't decided.

Remember, this is a FOWLR. A few of these guys might get to big for the tank eventually, but most should be fine. The biggest will be the rabbitfish, so when he grows I might have to find him a new home.

I will be dosing a ton of pods for a week or 2 before I introduce the pipefish. I will continue to dose pods monthly, but I don't think it'll take long for my fuge to sustain the population. The fuge is almost half of a 40 breeder and I'll be getting lots of cheato from local guys that's packed with pods as well.

What order would you guys suggest I add these guys to the tank? I'm pretty much going to have them all on hand, so I can do any order but can't spread it out too long.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the scientific name for "Kleins Angel" -- never heard of it.

Think you will have to choose b/t the mandarin and the pipefish -- you will run out of pops for both.

I am all for keeping more than one dwarf, but IMO/E a flame and potter's will most likely not work out.

OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the link for the Kleins:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orange Butterflyfish

For dwarfs, what would be a better match with the Tibicen? This one is going in for sure, just wanted to add another one to get more color.

The pipes and mandarin will be fine. My mandarin is gaining weight in my 29g he's currently in. Been in there for a couple months, and I only dosed pods once right after I got him.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had stated an angel for the Kleins, hence the confusion.

Either, but not both. IME, flames and potter's do not get along. I currently have a Potter's with an C. deborae and they get along just fine.

And I suspect that the mandarin will start to lose weight, as the pod population starts to fall.

OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the angel and butterfly confustion.

So on the dwarf angel, just go with either a flame or potters, but not both correct?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, not both. Its not that 3 would be an issue (( have 3 in my 65 )), just don't like the Flame/Potter's combo.
Not to say that 3 will always work, but it can be done with proper planning and a back-up plan.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that combo (( actually was a pair of potter's with the coral beauty )) for a cup of coffee --- lost the Potter's pair when the main pump failed while I was in the hospital -- but they were fine together when I had them.

The coral beauty is currently with a flame and multicolored.

The hardest part is making sure that there is enough mature live rock for them to graze upon, and plenty of caves to hide. The Tibecan, will be the biggest concern, since it one of the larger dwarf angels. If possible I would add it last, and use an acclimation box -- I have left dwarfs in there for up to a week, to judge how the interaction is going; can see it on the right of side of my old 75,

FTS11_19_10.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back