Fish list for new tank setup

noobtanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. As suggested, I've made a fish list as a type of plan going forward. My tank is still cycling. 425xl (112g of which 88g is display) When the time comes this is my current list in the order to which I'm planning on adding them (in two week incriminate)

2 x clown fish
1 x Goby and shrimp combo
1 x Bartlett's Anthia
1 x royal gramma
1 x firefish goby
5 x blue/green chromis
1 x six line wrasse
1 x blue tang

Any advise on fish selection and or order on introducing them into the tank would be greatly appreciated. Go easy on me

Thanks in advance ☺

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will depend on the rock work. If not enough places for each fish to have their own area, there will be issues.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a concrete plan to upgrade tanks in the future, a blue tang will outgrow an 88 gallon tank (quickly).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a concrete plan to upgrade tanks in the future, a blue tang will outgrow an 88 gallon tank (quickly).
Whoop whoop, that’s the sound of the...

30710CF4-9DE5-45A6-A166-6BF4915B0943.jpeg
Your tang will be fine in an 88-gallon. Just make sure there are some decent caves and places to keep him entertained.

I like my sixline - he’s awesome. Everyone complains about theirs (apparently they can be *****, but then again so can a lot of other fish). Flame hawkfish is a great addition as well (tons of personalityj.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your tang will be fine in an 88-gallon. Just make sure there are some decent caves and places to keep him entertained.

A blue tang is fine in an 88 gallon? Good luck with that. I'm not saying liveaquaria is gospel, but they recommend 180 gallons. Blue tangs grow to be 12" long.

I'm not even close to the most militant member of tang police... :rolleyes:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How dare you speak of such truths.

I think hippo tangs actually grow slower than most but personally I would add something smaller. A bristletooth or a yellow/purple/gem.

Or screw tangs and get a Bellus angel or Copperband. Or even a dwarf angel. All are such awesome fish!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blue tang is fine in an 88 gallon? Good luck with that. I'm not even close to the most militant member of tang police.
Do you even realize how long it takes a fish to grow to 12”? And that’s in the wild - it will be a lot less in captivity. These aren’t sharks we’re talking about...

In any event, he wants a “blue” tang. He may just mean coloration... I don’t think he wants more than one, either. The vast majority of fish on his list are pretty small.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you even realize how long it takes a fish to grow to 12”? And that’s in the wild - it will be a lot less in captivity. These aren’t sharks we’re talking about...

In any event, he wants a “blue” tang. He may just mean coloration... I don’t think he wants more than one, either. The vast majority of fish on his list are pretty small.
The OP asked for advice about their stocking plan...planning to put a blue tang in an 88 gallon tank permanently isn't a great idea, IMO. YMMV.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP asked for advice about their stocking plan...planning to put a blue tang in an 88 gallon tank permanently isn't a great idea, IMO. YMMV.
Well, he also said “clownfish”, so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. The tang is also last on his list to add.

So OP, you should probably find the smallest tang humanly possible.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. As suggested, I've made a fish list as a type of plan going forward. My tank is still cycling. 425xl (112g of which 88g is display) When the time comes this is my current list in the order to which I'm planning on adding them (in two week incriminate)

2 x clown fish
1 x Goby and shrimp combo
1 x Bartlett's Anthia
1 x royal gramma
1 x firefish goby
5 x blue/green chromis
1 x six line wrasse
1 x blue tang

Any advise on fish selection and or order on introducing them into the tank would be greatly appreciated. Go easy on me

Thanks in advance ☺
I've never had good luck with B/G Chromis, whether i start off with 3 or 5 i always wind up with 1, and remember 6 line Wrasse are jumpers, and some Anthias are too so you need a lid

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he also said “clownfish”, so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. The tang is also last on his list to add.

So OP, you should probably find the smallest tang humanly possible.
I don't understand what the snarky responses are for, to be honest. They were looking for advice, I offered some.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had good luck with B/G Chromis, whether i start off with 3 or 5 i always wind up with 1, and remember 6l line Wrasse are jumpers, so you need a lid
Chromis look great schooling at the LFS. In the home environment, they conspire to kill each other off... My sixline doesn’t jump, either. Not a jerk and doesn’t jump... maybe mine’s defective...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like my sixline - he’s awesome. Everyone complains about theirs (apparently they can be *****, but then again so can a lot of other fish). Flame hawkfish is a great addition as well (tons of personalityj.
Not good advice.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good advice.
We’re not talking Clifford the Red Dog here. People re-home fish all the time for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to death, generally being a jerk, etc.

I guess it doesn’t matter that the “tang” (whatever specific model and options he ends up going with) is last on the list and many, many months off...

The regal tang will (apparently) take about 3-4 years to get to 6” in length (assuming a 1-2” original size), and a further 6-8 years to reach full size (assuming it will in captivity, which is unlikely).

Last edited:
OP
OP
noobtanker

noobtanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers mate. Thanks for this!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the tang, you may want to try a dwarf angelfish. The coral beauty seems to be the most relaxed of the species. Or if needs to be really blue, maybe a Blue Devil, Azure or Starki damsel. I’d avoid the yellow tail and yellow belly damsels - as they really have a propensity for aggression.

OP
OP
noobtanker

noobtanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How dare you speak of such truths.

I think hippo tangs actually grow slower than most but personally I would add something smaller. A bristletooth or a yellow/purple/gem.

Or screw tangs and get a Bellus angel or Copperband. Or even a dwarf angel. All are such awesome fish

I've never had good luck with B/G Chromis, whether i start off with 3 or 5 i always wind up with 1, and remember 6 line Wrasse are jumpers, and some Anthias are too so you need a lid
I've already got a lid in anticipation for this. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
noobtanker

noobtanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Really appreciated all the information.
I'll look into the other fish recommendations but a-lot of them i know aren't reef safe and i'm planning on keeping some corals.
Seems the tang has caused some debate but rest assured I will be buying a juvenile (smallest Tang i can find) and either upgrading or rehoming when the time comes.
As far as the schooling fish, although I really like the idea of it, if chromis don't school well in home tanks as stated I might skip this and try something else.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have luck with the chromis. Each time I’ve tried with 4-5 fish I end up with two. They’re relatively cheap enough that it’s not going to be a costly misadventure if it doesn’t pan out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back