Fish Petting: Good for you but what about your fish?

Do you think "petting your fish" is a good or bad idea?

• Good idea

Votes: 109 18.9%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 234 40.6%
  • Not sure but in for the comments...

Votes: 234 40.6%

• Total voters

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160401_104226.jpg

Couldnt find a pic of my current neon but here is my first saltwater fish (may he RIP) hanging out. Both neons will just come and chill on my hand while I work in the tank. My original fire shrimp also would clean my hand but my current one has not hopped on yet.

None of the others let me pet them. I think if the fish initiates contact it's fine. Think neons just like trying to clean the big moving thing in the tank lol

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a betta that seemed to enjoy pets, when he'd had enough he'd move on. My two clowns swarm my hands but I've never tried to pet them bc I'm afraid they'll bite me. I feel okay petting a fish gently on the snout if they seem open to it. I would be afraid of damaging their slime coat if I touched their sides.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has come about inadvertently in my tank. I hand-feed my cleaner shrimp and crabs from time to time and in doing so I can now feed and even pet my clowns, cardinal, filefish and even the solorensis wrasse. Thankfully the foxface has not made an attempt yet!

JeepTj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 juvi true perc clowns I can hold In my hands but I thinks that’s to hide from the 2 mature ocellaris clowns haha and I can do almost anything with my fairly large sail fin tang as long as I have nori in my other hand

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't pet my fish - I have a foxface who would probably "spike" me, heck the clowns attack the glass scraper but here's a guy who caught a six line by hand. Yes you read that correctly, but you'll love how he did it...

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon tries to bite me all the time! Goes after the magnetic glass cleaner too when I use it on her side of the tank.
+1 My maroon bites me when I try to feed the anemone chases the algae scrubber and chases my hand if it is out side the tank but I love her to death because she is the only reaming of my original fish due to to velvet outbreaks.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, from what I can tell, Its mostly fish that are "Ich Prone" that enjoy a good petting, and they may be doing it because it feels natural for them to be groomed by other animals. Tangs for sure seem to exhibit this behavior more readily, but some wrasse as well enjoy a good fin rub.

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always read this is bad. Fish tend to have a coating of slime on them to protect them from bad bacteria and is their first line of defense. If you rub it off with your hands i believe that would leave the fish at risk for both parasites and bacteria.

This is my understanding too. Always heard this in relation to musky fishing around here too - don't touch the fish unless absolutely necessary, use special nets that don't scrape off the slime coat etc...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always read this is bad. Fish tend to have a coating of slime on them to protect them from bad bacteria and is their first line of defense. If you rub it off with your hands i believe that would leave the fish at risk for both parasites and bacteria.
As a fisher person :rolleyes: it is believed that you should wet your hands first before handling fish, so not to remove the slime coat if you plan to release them. True or false ?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back