Fish Recommendations Please

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably can’t go wrong with a firefish or maybe a chromis or one of the peaceful damsels.
Purple fire fish goby is what I got. Great color and will swim around my 150 gallon tank. Doesn’t swim all the time but will mossy around most the day. Idk about others but mine is super hardy and have had no problems. First fish into my tank!

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasse, coral beauty and tail spot blenny are awesome fish and tend to be active (ie hungry so constantly hunting for food ;))
In my experience fish tend to follow each other’s behavior so most likely once you get a more active fish the others will probably feel safe coming out more. I had a six line and coral beauty in my 40 at one point and they spent all day hunting and pecking together :)
Any clown goby would also be likely to stay visible but won’t swim around as much.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any wrasse to be honest, anything except a SIX LINE. Most wrasses are free and open swimmers, and most are non aggressive towards any other fish except it's own kind.

While some are OK, once they mature every one is a murderous *******! Six line is probably one of the worst suggestions here, and I for one would never suggest a fish that not only can, but will murder everything your tank.

For those suggesting a clown goby, she said she wanted an acgtive fish, not a coral croucher! I've had many of them over the years, and not a single one ever openly swam, except during feeding time. They are called coral crouchers for a reason. lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any wrasse to be honest, anything except a SIX LINE. Most wrasses are free and open swimmers, and most are non aggressive towards any other fish except it's own kind.

While some are OK, once they mature every one is a murderous *******! Six line is probably one of the worst suggestions here, and I for one would never suggest a fish that not only can, but will murder everything your tank.

For those suggesting a clown goby, she said she wanted an acgtive fish, not a coral croucher! I've had many of them over the years, and not a single one ever openly swam, except during feeding time. They are called coral crouchers for a reason. lol
I agree with this however also advise against the Thallasoma and Coris family’s since they’re common destructive b******* same with the dragon wrasses and six lines

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum or pink streak wrasse, Red lined wrasse (H. biocellatus) kind of hard to locate at times but worth the effort and I would also go with a Cherub angel (I source mine from KP aquatics and have had excellent success)
The Possum and Pink Streak wrasses will be somewhat cryptic till they get settled in but once acclimated and kept in a non threatening environment they are awesome little fish. Otherwise the Cherub and Red Lined wrasse will be constantly cruising in and out of the rockwork foraging for food, very active fish and appropriate for your size system. I would closely research some of the other suggestions as I feel a lot of them are not at all appropriate based on both size and temperament.
FWIW, I dont want to debate quarantine but look into safety stop as preventative on any new incomming fish, has worked extremely well for me as I personally find quarantine to be very problematic

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I dont want to debate quarantine but look into safety stop as preventative on any new incomming fish, has worked extremely well for me as I personally find quarantine to be very problematic
This- I just buy cherry-picked and QT'd fish from divers den and TSM and acclimate them with paraguard.

Nothing is 100% but someone that does this for a living is going to have a better chance than me to get an animal healthy, plus, a healthy fish ships better than a sick one.

Oh, and ich is an inevitability, even if your fish never show spots.

Wrasse always act dead when first added to your tank, make sure you add him lights out or place in a little breeder box.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse always act dead when first added to your tank, make sure you add him lights out or place in a little breeder box.
Leopard wrasse, Tamarins, and Halichoeres are the wrasse that need sand Ed and will almost always dive into the sand bed within minutes of being added (My M. bipartitus waited around 5 minutes then went in and shes out today)
Leopards and Tamarins are the hardest genuses of reefsafe wrasses, I don’t recommend proper QT for these two genuses because of them being prone to stress (I do recommend QTing them for food though)

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While some are OK, once they mature every one is a murderous *******! Six line is probably one of the worst suggestions here,
I heard this a couple of times. I have been keeping them since they invented them and never found that. I have about 25 smaller fish and 3 six line wrasses. So far, in decades, I never saw then bother anything, not even the small clown gobi's. Maybe they don't like you. :rolleyes:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard this a couple of times. I have been keeping them since they invented them and never found that. I have about 25 smaller fish and 3 six line wrasses. So far, in decades, I never saw then bother anything, not even the small clown gobi's. Maybe they don't like you. :rolleyes:

Keeping them with other wrasse is a no go.
They will always bully and kill other wrasse, you may have been lucky but more than 50% of people with six lines eay theyre b*******

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will always bully and kill other wrasse
Not always. ;)

You can see one in here. If you look close. So far, these never bothered anything. Maybe they are Sissies. :)

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
fire fish, midas, bi/color, or tail spot blenny. court jester goby is a really good option as well - they work and clean hair algae everywhere

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Sunburst Anthius are cool to. But they can be a little pricy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see one in here. If you look close. So far, these never bothered anything. Maybe they are Sissies. :)

Yeah, you have other fish in there that are rather more ‘aggressive’ and keeping him in place that’s why he’s being good

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. :cool:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For chromis, usually it needs to be solo or a large school, as they tend to whittle it down to 1 in too small sizes. I believe anthias do the same.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For chromis, usually it needs to be solo or a large school, as they tend to whittle it down to 1 in too small sizes. I believe anthias do the same.
Yeah, Anthias do except sunbursts because of them being solo fish in the wild so you only need one or two and it’ll be alright

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul, I know your old, but your not THAT old. Lol. You've only got like 20 years on me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back