Fish scratching

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish in my tank that is just itching itself. I would not say constantly but often. My first thought was ich ( don’t know how to spell that) but none of the other fish seem to be doing that and the fish that is doing it looks normal. Any one have an I deal of what this could be.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is other fish doing it or just one? Is it a new fish? If its truly ich, you won’t be able to see it for another day. The free swimmers have to attach and dig its self into the scales. If its just that single fish, it maybe has flukes. I would take it out and do a freshwater dip. Just pray that it’s not ich!!!:eek:

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is other fish doing it or just one? Is it a new fish? If its truly ich, you won’t be able to see it for another day. The free swimmers have to attach and dig its self into the scales. If its just that single fish, it maybe has flukes. I would take it out and do a freshwater dip. Just pray that it’s not ich!!!:eek:
It is just one fish and it has shady been a day since I noticed. It is also a freshwater fish but I figured it wouldn’t be different for freshwater right?

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just one fish and it has shady been a day since I noticed. It is also a freshwater fish but I figured it wouldn’t be different for freshwater right?
Freshwater ich isn’t as dreadful. But it can be very contagious. Make sure all of your peramiters are good. If you notice any spots, let me know.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The irritants and trophants of parasites start small and the what you describe is flashing is a sign of irritation
There are certain fish (wrasses are one) that flash for no reason.
Heavy or rapid breathing, loss of appetite, swimming into flow of powerhead are all warning signs of a parasite condition brewing
Keep a close eye on it

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irritants and trophants of parasites start small and the what you describe is flashing is a sign of irritation
There are certain fish (wrasses are one) that flash for no reason.
Heavy or rapid breathing, loss of appetite, swimming into flow of powerhead are all warning signs of a parasite condition brewing
Keep a close eye on it
It is swimming fine and eats like a shark. Acts normal this has been going on for a while now and no spots or anything every thing else in the tank is fine also. Water quality is great best I’ve ever had it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is swimming fine and eats like a shark. Acts normal this has been going on for a while now and no spots or anything every thing else in the tank is fine also. Water quality is great best I’ve ever had it.
Which I don’t doubt, hence keep an eye on it
Flukes are another possibility

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back