Fish Stock Question.

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I currently have a 160 gallon 4ft long reef tank with the stocking listed below. I would like to also purchase a yellow and tomini tang but am unsure if this would be over stocking the tank. Nitrates and phosphates dont appear to be an issue as they're both reading 0 although I do still have algae.

Large scribbled rabbitfish
Medium foxface lo
Medium Copperband Butterflyfish
Large dusky wrasse
6 line wrasse
Firefish
Midas blenny
3 clownfish
2 bangai cardinals

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any compatibility issues adding the tangs.

Keep in mind how big the rabbit and foxface will get. I would probably choose 1 of the tangs, but you might be able to get away with both.

What are the dimensions of the tank? 160 gallons, but only 4 feet long, so is it 3 feet wide?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any compatibility issues adding the tangs.

Keep in mind how big the rabbit and foxface will get. I would probably choose 1 of the tangs, but you might be able to get away with both.

What are the dimensions of the tank? 160 gallons, but only 4 feet long, so is it 3 feet wide?
Hi nereefpat thanks a lot for your reply. It is a custom aquarium 4 feet long, 2.5 feet wide and 2.5 feet tall. Maybe a little too small for the 2 tangs as well?

Upvote 0

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi nereefpat thanks a lot for your reply. It is a custom aquarium 4 feet long, 2.5 feet wide and 2.5 feet tall. Maybe a little too small for the 2 tangs as well?
How are your 3 clowns doing. Usually 2 would pair up and murder the 3rd... You can add a yellow no problem there

Upvote 0

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although there is no exact science to stocking levels, I use 3 gallons per ADULT size fish as a guide. accounting for water displacement of 15%, you have 136g’s of water. Adult size gallon/ inch is currently at 2.6. If you want to push it further I’d go with the Tomini and hopefully it will work out. YT’s like more horizontal space then 4’ anyway while the Tomini should be ok with it. I would recommend against adding both and would encourage the Tomini over the YT. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your 3 clowns doing. Usually 2 would pair up and murder the 3rd... You can add a yellow no problem there
Hi Bepis thx for ur reply. Yeh there is a weird family dynamic going on with the clownfish. The biggest one is actually exiled to the other side of the tank but still interacts peacefully with the others during the day.
Glad I can add another tang to the tank. Which one would u reccommend between the yellow and tomini?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although there is no exact science to stocking levels, I use 3 gallons per ADULT size fish as a guide. accounting for water displacement of 15%, you have 136g’s of water. Adult size gallon/ inch is currently at 2.6. If you want to push it further I’d go with the Tomini and hopefully it will work out. YT’s like more horizontal space then 4’ anyway while the Tomini should be ok with it. I would recommend against adding both and would encourage the Tomini over the YT. Good luck.
Thx a lot flame2hawk for the useful response. I think you are right about the tomini tang as I've heard they are less demanding on space and generally less aggressive than yellow tangs. They are a beautiful fish so I would be happy to add one. What is their algae eating ability like in comparison to the yellow tang?

Upvote 0

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx a lot flame2hawk for the useful response. I think you are right about the tomini tang as I've heard they are less demanding on space and generally less aggressive than yellow tangs. They are a beautiful fish so I would be happy to add one. What is their algae eating ability like in comparison to the yellow tang?
Would consider the YT as average tang algae eater. Tomini being a bristletooth is above average. Got mine to eat algae wafer out of my hands. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love yellows so that’s what a I would do but it’s personal. But there is a chance that a tomini will fight with the midas

Upvote 0

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 32.5 gal tank (2 months). I have a pair of clowns that have been in the tank for 5 weeks. I added a fire fish last week. I only want to add 2 more fish. Would it be okay to now add a fish every 2 weeks or should I still wait 1 month before adding fish? Advice/tips?

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back