Fish stocking question

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - my rock work is a series of caves and pass through, getting a problem fish out will be difficult even with a trap.
2 - Currently have 1 blood orange clown, one ocellaris (took about 10-12 days but they are best friends already thankfully) & a Midas Blenny.
3 - 75g, 4’ long with a 40g breeder sump, been up for 3-4 weeks now I think...since cycling.
4 - I will be adding a court jester goby (biota captive bred special is too good)

I want to add a square tail tang as my last fish but due to new news that won’t be for over a year. Since I know that will be so far out I was wondering if I could add 2-4 Blue/Green black axil chromis to my stock for now.
As always any help is great appreciated

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure...the tank should support that now. 2-4 Chromis is likely same bioload as a larger tang. Well close anyway.

Not sure long term - do some research on chromis...they get a little a aggressive with each other and it seems like a lot of folks start out with several because they're schooling and end up with just one if it's not a huge tank. I got just one because of that and it's still doing fine. That could be reef folklore though, so check my info.

Good luck!

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure...the tank should support that now. 2-4 Chromis is likely same bioload as a larger tang. Well close anyway.

Not sure long term - do some research on chromis...they get a little a aggressive with each other and it seems like a lot of folks start out with several because they're schooling and end up with just one if it's not a huge tank. I got just one because of that and it's still doing fine. That could be reef folklore though, so check my info.

Good luck!
Does yours seem “happy” by itself? I have no problem going solo with them but don’t want them to be unhappy

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does. It interacts well with the other fish, swims normally, eats well and is in full light blue/green aqua color (I've always thought it one of the prettiest marine fish - too bad it's so cheap so I think it's get a bit undervalued).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of undervalued, square tail tangs are really beautiful.

The Chromis would be fine. I agree a single is fine by itself. Some people have success with a small group, while others are disappointed. You have room for other stuff too. How about a cardinal, or wrasse, or hawk?

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of undervalued, square tail tangs are really beautiful.

The Chromis would be fine. I agree a single is fine by itself. Some people have success with a small group, while others are disappointed. You have room for other stuff too. How about a cardinal, or wrasse, or hawk?
There is a specific wrasse I want that I’m having to wait on, can’t find any vendors I like that have it and locally it is not available. Love hawks but always worry about inverts with them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back