Fish that shouldn’t be in the hobby?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure I’m not the only one who has noticed that every so often we see some fish that are questionable. Whether it’s online, in an LFS or even in someone else’s tank.

So, are there fish that you see kept or imported into the hobby that you think shouldn’t be available?
And if there are, what could good alternatives be?
IMG_6409.jpeg

Last edited:

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not as much these days but people used to bring in a lot of cleaner wrasses.
They should left in the ocean IMO
200 percent. They bully the fishes in home tanks and don’t do any good especially when there are Cleaner shrimp

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people used to bring in a lot of cleaner wrasses.
They're easy to catch because they aren't afraid of people.

But really... I can't think of anything that shouldn't be in the hobby. It would be nice if there was more information about these fish at point of sale because they problem isn't that a delicate fish is available, it's almost always that it's being bought by someone who has no idea what it needs to thrive, or that it will get two feet long, etc. But that doesn't mean the animal should be unavailable to someone who is equipped to keep it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're easy to catch because they aren't afraid of people.

But really... I can't think of anything that shouldn't be in the hobby. It would be nice if there was more information about these fish at point of sale because they problem isn't that a delicate fish is available, it's almost always that it's being bought by someone who has no idea what it needs to thrive, or that it will get two feet long, etc. But that doesn't mean the animal should be unavailable to someone who is equipped to keep it.
I strongly disagree with you here. There are absolutely fish that shouldn’t be sold.

The problem is that almost nobody other than public aquariums can ACTUALLY keep them healthy and alive.
So the fact that random people see a cute fish and buy it keeps the collectors collecting it. That’s the problem.

Thankfully over the years enough people have failed at keeping them that collectors realize it’s not worth their time to catch them
Since nobody will buy them.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I said "I can't think of anything", I meant I can't think of any examples that I actually see at a LFS, which would suggest the industry has already self-regulated them out.
I can think of way too many that I’ve seen over the years unfortunately…

And one thing is that almost nobody is equipped to keep 2-3’ long fish happy. Yes there’s people with huge tanks but how often is it that they’ll actually be happy swimming in an 8’x5’ tank for example.
Here’s just one fish I’ve seen kept.
Acanthurus xanthometopon, this specimen was a good 3-4’ long and 18” wide.
IMG_6434.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the picture of? It looks like a dull goldline rabbit fish.
That photo is one of two Vermiculated Rabbitfish. It was a good 18-20” long.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly disagree with you here. There are absolutely fish that shouldn’t be sold.

The problem is that almost nobody other than public aquariums can ACTUALLY keep them healthy and alive.
So the fact that random people see a cute fish and buy it keeps the collectors collecting it. That’s the problem.

Thankfully over the years enough people have failed at keeping them that collectors realize it’s not worth their time to catch them
Since nobody will buy them.
I completely agree with this, although now that Ranch Raised fish are in the picture these fish we didn’t see as people couldn’t keep them long term (for Size or Health issues) we are seeing again.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wonder about rays and sharks that I see at my LFS.
I hope/assume that they actually have clientele equipped to comfortably house them but I don't know that for a fact.
Honestly, when writing this I found a photo I got of a leopard/zebra shark and I wonder what happens to the juveniles we often see as they definitely aren’t small.

Some species like epaulettes I agree with but larger more active species I think people should have a second thought about.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Garden eels quite regularly in my area, they absolutely should not be sold due to their sand requirements which requires a species dedicated tank

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great White Sharks, Whale Sharks, short of that I don't believe there is such a thing as fish that shouldn't be in the hobby. I do however believe there are certain fish that should be "on request", and not routinely taken in/sold.

My rationale is this: We marine aquarists are an incredibly diverse bunch, with any number of different tanks and setups, ranging from reef Jars and all the way up to Andrews 17000 gallon reef. And we are equally diverse in knowledge with newbies to enthusiasts to marine biologists with PhD's.

Simply put for most fish and other animals there simply is no way to draw a hard line for any and all hobbyists, and some people shouldn't even keep a clownfish.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anyone new, shouldn’t be able to buy an expert level fish for sure! Plus no one should ever rely on what the salesperson says, google it first to get a better idea

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back